Sideloading Amazon Market APK on Nook Tablet?

Priyus

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Nook Tablet around 2 weeks ago, and I wanted to try using sideloading the Amazon market APK. Got the idea from here and here I have the original software version (1.4.0), and I haven't updated it to 1.4.1.

I wanted to know where the apps are stored on the Nook Tablet because I can't find it in any of the folders when I plug it into my PC. I had downloaded the Grow app from the B&N App store, but I can't find it in explorer. If it helps, I have the folder options on my Windows XP set to display hidden and protected folders. I've read that it should be under data/apps or so but I don't see it. Would I have to manually create the apps folder? And if so, which specific directory would it have to be in?

I will try this as a last resort, if I can't get this to work (since I would need to update it to 1.4.1). Please help!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: I just received the dreaded 1.4.1 update -.- Great...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now my question is ...

I read that apps and APKs can be loaded on the Nook tablet inspite of the 1.4.1 update and with no rooting required. I read this on here: http://liliputing.com/2011/12/sideload-apps-on-a-nook-tablet-with-os-1-4-1-no-root-required.html

A copy of the amazon market apk is residing in the same folder as the xda script that the link talks about. But when I run the Sideload BAT script, it starts to run (its disclaimer is that it wont run until it detects an Android device-- so the fact that its running means it can read my Nook Tablet plugged into the machine). But when I try to get it ti install the Amazon Market apk via Command Prompt, it says "error no device found".

Could somebody please help me with this?

Last edited:
Reactions: aseadweller

Louiemacgoo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it's just me but I'm a little lost with what you are trying to accomplish but hopefully the following link will help. I bought 2 Nook Tablets for my daughters for Christmas and used the posts on The eBook Reader Blog - eReader Reviews, News, and Tutorials to sideload the Amazon Market and apps. Both are quite pleased that they can download and use so many more apps then what is available on the B&N Nook app store.

On the site mentioned above there are several articles for Nook owners the latest one shows how to revert back to 1.4.0 so you can continue to use the loophole of sideloading the Amazon App Store. The other articles/post show (very easily) how to get the Amazon loophole set up and working.

Good Luck!

ChillFactorz

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I used Indirect's method from XDA, the one that your link eluded to, after Factory resetting to 1.4.0 from SD card, try to use the USB drivers to make your Nook visible to PC and in ADB. Then once you are able to get that to work, I found that rooting right after a "Factory Reset" is the best method. I 1st rooted after having messed with device for a while, and Android Market wasn't working correct. I did a factory rest then rerooted everything worked smoothly and correct.
The Nook with a launcher (GO launcher) and Button Savior (software buttons) and the Market is definitely a better device. The launcher gives me access to all my apps, and with Button Savior I am able to go back to the Launcher's home screen when hitting the home button, then using the "n" button I can go back to the Nooks home screen. Almost feels like a dual boot device to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: G7ushs

Priyus

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I used Indirect's method from XDA, the one that your link eluded to, after Factory resetting to 1.4.0 from SD card, try to use the USB drivers to make your Nook visible to PC and in ADB. Then once you are able to get that to work, I found that rooting right after a "Factory Reset" is the best method. I 1st rooted after having messed with device for a while, and Android Market wasn't working correct. I did a factory rest then rerooted everything worked smoothly and correct.
The Nook with a launcher (GO launcher) and Button Savior (software buttons) and the Market is definitely a better device. The launcher gives me access to all my apps, and with Button Savior I am able to go back to the Launcher's home screen when hitting the home button, then using the "n" button I can go back to the Nooks home screen. Almost feels like a dual boot device to me.

Thanks for the response, ChillFactorz. I did a factory reset (My Nook Tablet is now back at 1.4.0), enabled third-party apps, and also downloaded the USB drivers and reran the script. However, I did not root my Nook and decided to test Indirect's script anyhow. It said the a email.apk that I was trying out, had successfully installed:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2914/cmdnookadb.jpg

Yet, I do not see it the app or data/app on the Nook? It's on USB debugging mode, if that helps. Where can I find the apps that are pushed on to the tablet via the script ? Am I not seeing it because it's still on 1.4.0 ?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenw0419