Day 1 and Pissed

dgs013

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I helped my Mom get a Nook Tablet today. I played around with the demo at the store and couldn't figure out how to download a movie. I saw Netflix and Hulu apps but no straight up movies. When checking out, I asked, can you download movies because the demo one didn't seem to be able to. "Oh yes of course thats one of its best features" BS. Also, you can change the font of a book but it seems pretty impossible to change the font of email?? Again, took me a long time of searching with no luck and that font is tiny for someone who is older. I am not looking for any extensive work arounds, especially for the movies as my Mom is not going to waste her time figuring it out. She wanted a simple solution for movies, books, magazines etc, for traveling, without forking over the cost of an ipad, which may be the only solution. She travels a lot and can't watch a single movie on the plane? Where would one watch movies if you can only stream? In wifi, you are in your own home or hotels (where you have bigger screens than 7 inches) etc, maybe an occasional Starbucks? It seems like the best option is to return it for something better unless I am missing something here. Any help is appreciated but again, I have to walk my Mom through alot of this and I am only home for the holidays. She isnt going to put up with this if there is no simple solution

mohawkx

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
You need to buy DVD Catalyst-4 and load it into your computer. Then you can convert any DVD you have and sideload it into an SD card on your Nook Tablet. It will play then. Just google DVD Catalyst and all the information you need will be right there.

dgs013

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
sorry, not what I am looking for. I would be able to do that, but like I said, my Mom is not going to remember or want to deal with a long and convoluted process. We also don't have many dvd's so why go and buy more just to load them onto a Nook.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Coming from someone who owns both an iPad and a nook tablet I'd say that the iPad is probably the best solution in your case. If you're OK sticking with Apple's ecosystem or have a ton of digital bluray copies (as I do) it's a no hassle solution for most people. If you wanted to load your own ripped movies an android tablet gives you more flexibility, but most people who are tech averse dislike dragging and dropping files from their pc's to their tablets. The Barnes and Noble store is a little sparse now so there isn't much you can do in that respect.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

Last edited:

jedichef22

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You may want to look into a Kindle Fire. I think you can download the movies if you pay for them (but not the ones you get "free" with Amazon Prime, which is streaming only). I don't have a Fire to confirm this; I'm only going by what I've read on their site.

On the Nook, you can drag-and-drop movie files (in mp4 or some other formats) from your computer, but the problem is, where are you going to get them? I think this would be more useful for "home movies" or illegal downloads, but I don't know of anywhere that sells movie downloads legally like these. The studios like their DRM too much.

I really don't know what the email situation is like on Kindle fire, but since the app store is bigger, you're also more likely to find a separate app that does a better job. And the Nook email app is frustrating for me, but I'll primarily use my phone or computer for email so I haven't really explored it yet. But I haven't seen any way of changing size, other than "pinching" to zoom? and this only helps in some instances.

Personally I got a Nook over a Kindle for other reasons... and there's probably some way of getting movies on it via rooting, illegal downloads, etc.... but I know what it's like dealing with a non-tech-savvy person, and if downloading movies is important to her, I'd probably go with the Kindle Fire. Or the iPad, but for that you're going to pay a lot more.

mohawkx

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
sorry, not what I am looking for. I would be able to do that, but like I said, my Mom is not going to remember or want to deal with a long and convoluted process. We also don't have many dvd's so why go and buy more just to load them onto a Nook.

DVD Calalyst is not a convoluted process just load a DVD and hit a couple buttons. But then, whatever floats your boat. Good luck in your search.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
**WARNING-- THREAD HIJACK ALERT!**

You need to buy DVD Catalyst-4 and load it into your computer. Then you can convert any DVD you have and sideload it into an SD card on your Nook Tablet. It will play then. Just google DVD Catalyst and all the information you need will be right there.

I am going to be getting a Nook Tablet in a week or so and I have an interest in this program. My question is if I have a Netflix subscription and I receive a DVD in the mail (a lot of content I want to watch seems to be unavailable for streaming) can I convert a Netflix DVD and put it on the SD card or is that illegal? It would be for my own personal use so I can watch it on my NT instead of my DVD player. I'm guessing it would be illegal because I would then still have the content after returning the DVD but I want to clarify. Thanks!

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
It is technically illegal, since you do not own the source material, and the fair-use arguments don't apply.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
**WARNING-- THREAD HIJACK ALERT!**

I am going to be getting a Nook Tablet in a week or so and I have an interest in this program. My question is if I have a Netflix subscription and I receive a DVD in the mail (a lot of content I want to watch seems to be unavailable for streaming) can I convert a Netflix DVD and put it on the SD card or is that illegal? It would be for my own personal use so I can watch it on my NT instead of my DVD player. I'm guessing it would be illegal because I would then still have the content after returning the DVD but I want to clarify. Thanks!

Yes illegal but its not like the FBI are going to come and bust up your house for riping a few DVDs.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007