Just bought a NT and need help installing 3rd party apps!

SadeLyn

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I'll need to start from the beginning again with USB debugging and all that and then get to the point where I run nookzergy and that's where it'll tell me if I'm rooted or not. If I am, well that's where I get a little confused because I'm not exactly sure about the whole SuperUser app and the process. I'll try to follow what you have sent me here and make sense of it. I don't even know what app allowed 3rd party apps. Was it that tgpslauncher? Here is where I'm a little dumb when it comes to this stuff. I need step by step specific instructions lol. I will give it a shot tonight and see if my nook is still rooted though, that I know how to do. And how do I send personal messages? I'm new to this site.

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I'll need to start from the beginning again with USB debugging and all that and then get to the point where I run nookzergy and that's where it'll tell me if I'm rooted or not. If I am, well that's where I get a little confused because I'm not exactly sure about the whole SuperUser app and the process. I'll try to follow what you have sent me here and make sense of it. I don't even know what app allowed 3rd party apps. Was it that tgpslauncher? Here is where I'm a little dumb when it comes to this stuff. I need step by step specific instructions lol. I will give it a shot tonight and see if my nook is still rooted though, that I know how to do. And how do I send personal messages? I'm new to this site.

Yes, you've got it exactly. Do the USB debugging step and all that, then run the nookzergy script and that should tell you if you're still rooted or not. If you're not, you're done.

If you're still rooted, that's when you download, install and run the tgpslauncher app to get access to 3rd party apps. Then you'll do a search superuser.apk, or send me your email address and I'll email you a copy you can install. Then follow the one-click unroot link I gave you in the previous post. Download, install and run that. It should do everything else.

After that, you'll be stock and under warranty again, whether you decide to try to root again or to return it.

- Byron

SadeLyn

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok I'm pretty sure I know how to install and run the tgpslauncher app cuz that's what you use to get in and enable usb debugging. However, I'm not sure exactly where to go to search for the superuser.apk.

I would like to try rooting again one more time and see if I can get it. I really hate to return it.

SadeLyn

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
So I just turned on my nook to try this process again and it looks like it may still be rooted because when I press the n button I don't get my menu with web and shop and everything so I can not browse the web on it. What do I do?! I'm at a loss now. Did I break it and am stuck???

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
hmmm...

Even with the messing up a redoing I did I never ran into anything like that. Honestly, I never een ran into a prompt that mentioned anything about the home button like you mentioned in one of your previous posts. That is really strange.

One click should bring up the menu and two clicks should bring up a menu asking if you want to go to your B&N Home screen or if you want to go to your alternate launcher's home screen. At least that's what it does on mine.

I don't think it's "broken" per se, but if you can't get your browser to load, you'll need to find another way to load an unroot app onto your NT and to open it. I'm certain it can be done but I don't know the details.

At this point, yes, it's sounding more and more like you're still rooted because you mentioned your NT doing something similar before you restored. If it were me, I'd go ahead and try a full restore again. I don't think you could be any worse of than you are now and you may at least get your menu function back so that you could do some of the other steps.

- Byron

SadeLyn

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I will go ahead and try a system restore again. I definitely think it is still rooted. I can't access normal nook menu. Pressing the button once takes me to home screen and twice does nothing. So I can't even see the web browser icon. Gaahhhh! I hope I didn't do something I can't fix and wasted all that money. I will try the system restore again right now.

SadeLyn

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to some research I was able to figure out how to unroot my nook using an sd card, I then decided to give rooting one more try and it worked! I originally put honeycomb launcher on it when rooting it but decided to download go launcher after. I like go launcher and it works much better! It asked me when rooting if I wanted to block ota updates and I said yes so I'm assuming I shouldn't have to worry about it installing any updates and killing my root. Thanks for all ur help!!! :)

P.s. typed this usingvmy rooted nook tablet!