Why has my LG G2 battery been draining a lot?

kmaster54321

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
LG G2 huge battery drain lately

I noticed my lg g2 has been draining the battery very quickly lately and I think its mostly when the Wifi is on. I havn't done anything to it just use it like I normally do and just a few days ago it started to die very quickly.

I downloaded Gsam Battery Monitor to try to figure out why its draining so fast.
It says 80% of the battery is being drained by apps (Android system using 45%) on that list and the screen only 11%.
Screenshot_2014-07-16-23-54-40[1].jpg
Screenshot_2014-07-16-23-58-54[1].jpg
Screenshot_2014-07-16-23-58-59[1].jpg

Anyone have any ideas on why its doing this and how to fix?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: LG G2 huge battery drain lately

Yes, it's a familiar story and can be difficult to fix. The first thing to try is a soft reset, which has worked for me when I've had problems of this sort, but if it has no effect, we'll have to take it from there. Either way, please report back.

Posted via Android Central App

kmaster54321

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

I was thinking of plugging my phone into the LG PC Suite and upgrade(reinstall) my phones O.S.
Ill let you know how that goes.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Also, what do you mean by soft reset? All I know of is a factory reset.

Sorry, soft reset means Power Off the device, wait a bit (different people say different things for waiting times, but I just give it a few seconds), then Restart. Removing and replacing the battery does the same thing, but not all batteries are readily removable.

kmaster54321

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Okay, got yah. I will let you know how my battery life is by the end of the day. Right now, still at 100% :)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Looking forward to hearing how you get on because some users with this problem find it intractable. If you've fixed it after trying just a couple of things, it would be interesting.

MattyGTwenty3

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm having very similar battery drain myself.
I had the problem once before and did a factory reset, which cleared up the problem until I put all of my normal apps and settings back in place.
Once the phone was back to normal the battery drain came right back in force.
The battery drains almost as fast with the screen off as it does with it on.
Also, I am on the Verizon version of G2 and as far as I know the LG App Suite doesnt support it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I will post screenshots like Kmaster's tomorrow morning of battery activity when it was idle overnight.

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I'm having very similar battery drain myself.
I had the problem once before and did a factory reset, which cleared up the problem until I put all of my normal apps and settings back in place.
Once the phone was back to normal the battery drain came right back in force.
The battery drains almost as fast with the screen off as it does with it on.
Also, I am on the Verizon version of G2 and as far as I know the LG App Suite doesnt support it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I will post screenshots like Kmaster's tomorrow morning of battery activity when it was idle overnight.

After the trouble recurred did you uninstall unnecessary apps, and if so did it make any difference? If the trouble is being caused by system apps it's difficult to know how to deal with it.

I'll look out for your stats tomorrow.

MattyGTwenty3

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

As soon as I noticed the battery drain was back I started uninstalling anything new that I thought could be the source of the trouble. I've removed apps and updates, but thus far it hasn't made any difference.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I see. My knowledge of these matters is small but I just feel that this must be caused by something that's going on all the time...the phone trying repeatedly to connect to a poor radio signal or wifi, or location reporting with or without GPS, even if these things seem switched off.

Something that's just come into my head, I don't know why, is a duff sim card.

kmaster54321

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Back with my info on how my battery lasted today. I ended up having to do a factory reset.. and the battery seems to be allot better.
Also, having the wifi off when the phone is asleep seems to help.. Buttttt the problem with having the wifi off when the phone is asleep is the data usage.

Screenshot_2014-07-18-00-09-10[1].jpg
Screenshot_2014-07-17-23-37-25[1].jpg
Screenshot_2014-07-17-23-37-32[1].jpg

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I don't see why having wifi off while the phone's asleep should lead to data usage. You haven't got something set to sync that you don't want syncing, have you?
Also I see your signal is 4G, which I think eats battery more than 3G, so I wonder whether that's relevant.

MattyGTwenty3

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

My drain seems to have disappeared without a reset this time.
I believe the culprit for me was disabling the "Sync" app Verizon dumps on you.
Once I re-enabled Sync the unremovable "Backup Assistant Plus" account that wasn't functioning before was able to function again. (even though I don't use it, it's set by default)
I think the broken interaction between the two was keeping my phone awake constantly, but that is only a theory.
Anyway, glad to be able to leave my phone idle while I sleep again rather than needing to turn it off so it wouldn't be half dead by morning.

Thanks for throwing in your thoughts, Belodion.

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Not very useful thoughts I'm afraid but you're very welcome.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX