Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By Ry
  • 1 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    9,805 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Default Spare/additional batteries

Have a device with a removable battery? Have an extra one for swapping out when you're low on juice?
    Let us know what device you have, the make of the spare and how often you swap them out

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

Default Re: Spare/additional batteries

I'm a huge proponent of user-replaceable batteries and having a spare (or two)!

The last two years, I've been using a Samsung Note 2 with two stock Samsung 3100mAh batteries and a Samsung spare battery charger (pic below). I usually swap out for a fresh battery every 36-48 hours, sometimes more often depending on use. I find it invaluable being able to quickly get back to a full charge within minutes and/or never having to worry about plugging the phone itself into any type of charger. I also like the portability factor in that the charger (and spare battery) easily fit into a pocket and can be used with a standard car charger.

UJ95x likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    9,805 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I'm a huge proponent of user-replaceable batteries and having a spare (or two)!

The last two years, I've been using a Samsung Note 2 with two stock Samsung 3100mAh batteries and a Samsung spare battery charger (pic below). I usually swap out for a fresh battery every 36-48 hours, sometimes more often depending on use. I find it invaluable being able to quickly get back to a full charge within minutes and/or never having to worry about plugging the phone itself into any type of charger. I also like the portability factor in that the charger (and spare battery) easily fit into a pocket and can be used with a standard car charger.

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...wbattery_1.jpg
    Awesome! I have the same setup (but an S4, not a Note 2). My phone has recently started charging slowly so I'm glad I have the spare battery and charger for when I need to top it off quickly. Yesterday I forgot to charge the spare and ended up with one dead battery and another half charged
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
    Synycalwon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Awesome! I have the same setup (but an S4, not a Note 2). My phone has recently started charging slowly so I'm glad I have the spare battery and charger for when I need to top it off quickly. Yesterday I forgot to charge the spare and ended up with one dead battery and another half charged
    Yup, that can be a potential negative (forgetting to charge the spare). I had that concern initially, but made it a habit to immediately put the depleted battery in the charger as soon as it's taken out of the phone. Then the external charger only takes a couple hours to fully charge it back up, a fraction of the time it takes me to run down a fully charged battery in the phone itself. So just rinse and repeat swapping batteries in and out of the external charger as needed. The best part of it all too; when a battery no longer holds a proper charge, just replace it with a new one!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    9,805 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Yup, that can be a potential negative (forgetting to charge the spare). I had that concern initially, but made it a habit to immediately put the depleted battery in the charger as soon as it's taken out of the phone. Then the external charger only takes a couple hours to fully charge it back up, a fraction of the time it takes me to run down a fully charged battery in the phone itself. So just rinse and repeat swapping batteries in and out of the external charger as needed. The best part of it all too; when a battery no longer holds a proper charge, just replace it with a new one!
    Yeah, that is nice too. Mine are already getting worse battery life than when I first got them. Not sure if it's just that it has a lower capacity or if it there's something wrong with the phone, but I can easily replace a bad battery

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,168 Global Posts

When I used phones that had user-replaceable/removable batteries, I always got spares. Even got extended ones if available.

With my current devices, I just carry external battery packs in my work bag or my camera bag.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    With my current devices, I just carry external battery packs in my work bag or my camera bag.
    Which brands/models Ry?
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Which brands/models Ry?
    I use a 3-port 12000 mAh one from EC Technology I got from Amazon, plus various single-port pocket models around ~2200 mAh from random daily deals sites.

When I don't want to have cords dangling, I use the Incipio offGrid Battery Case 2400 mAh with my Moto X.

I'm thinking of picking up the Motorola Power Pack Micro because of the Motorola Keylink feature for times when I don't want to wear my Pebble because Trusted Bluetooth is an awesome feature - unless they release the rumored Motorola "Skip 2.0" soon.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Thanked by:
    UJ95x likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    9,805 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I use a 3-port 12000 mAh one from EC Technology I got from Amazon, plus various single-port pocket models around ~2200 mAh from random daily deals sites.

When I don't want to have cords dangling, I use the Incipio offGrid Battery Case 2400 mAh with my Moto X.

I'm thinking of picking up the Motorola Power Pack Micro because of the Motorola Keylink feature for times when I don't want to wear my Pebble because Trusted Bluetooth is an awesome feature - unless they release the rumored Motorola "Skip 2.0" soon.
    How big is the 12000 mAh charger?

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

got two Anker 3200mAh batteries (w charger) for my Note 3. Just finished calibration of the first one (lasted 8+hrs), 2nd one is down to 18% at this moment.

One of the battery will be in storage at ~40% charge for future use when my primary battery dies... not sure when (My original battery is still good, last calibration lasted 7.5 hrs.)...

The other one will be kept with me as spares when on long field trips (week to month long trips).
    GN3, LP, TMO, BLK, 96G, 3200/9660mAh/ZTE OPEN C w FFOS 2.2
    Use Firefox Mobile for Android for enhanced security, speed, privacy, and battery.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    9,805 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    got two Anker 3200mAh batteries (w charger) for my Note 3. Just finished calibration of the first one (lasted 8+hrs), 2nd one is down to 18% at this moment.

One of the battery will be in storage at ~40% charge for future use when my primary battery dies... not sure when (My original battery is still good, last calibration lasted 7.5 hrs.)...

The other one will be kept with me as spares when on long field trips (week to month long trips).
    Were they cheaper than the Samsung 3200mAh batteries? Or why Anker?

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,168 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    How big is the 12000 mAh charger?
    Moto G for scale.

UJ95x likes this.