What is wrong with my OS? Do I need a new battery?

Papertiger382

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung galaxy player 4.2 with gingerbread not sure the version.

About a month ago my battery has been giving my trouble. The device will suddenly turn off without warning, usually while the supposed battery level is under 60% and when I turn the device back on it says the battery is at 0% this along is frustrating but at the same time I have been having what I would call glitches with my OS.

Examples, keyboard refuses to accept entry, sometime when I first pull it up sometimes in the middle of trying to text someone or write an E-mail, or even make Google search. Sometime clearing memory and closing all programs will solve this other times I must restart my device.

Some applications with look as if the close suddenly but rather it is as if I pressed the home button, I can go right back to the program but it is annoying and I know I'm not pressing it.

There are a few little things that don't happen often, but I have had this device for close to two years with out issue except YouTube app would crash the device if I attempted to watch a video and a few month ago since an Amazon app update it refuses to open and will sometime crash the device if I attempt to open it. beside that I haven't any issues before now and I wonder if it is the battery or maybe my device is just crapping out on me.

The other thing is I charge it in a outlet that possibly has a short, so this my be the cause of both problems. So I guess the real issue is will a new battery solve my issues or will I need to replace my veteran device?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The battery behavior certainly could be a sign of failure, so trying a new battery is worthwhile. Not sure about the other performance issues. If they persist with a new battery, you may want to try factory resetting the device. I'd suggest wiping the system cache partition, but I'm not sure if that's possible on the Player (as opposed to Galaxy phones).

Papertiger382

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
There is a "factory data reset" under the privacy settings, is this what you are talking about? what exactly does it do? it says "Erases all data on device" Do I need to back up any pictures, music and other sure files?

I figured I would try a new battery first, being cheaper than a replacement device. Should I replace my Charger/Cable as well? is there a way I can test if there is a problem with them?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Factory Data Reset option is what I'm talking about, and it will wipe your device. So you definitely want to backup or sync all of the data before you do that.

I agree with trying a new battery first. I doubt a new charger would help, since it doesn't seem like you're having much difficulty charging the battery up.

Papertiger382

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday I noticed that my battery has swollen a bit, and then today after shutting down on a supposed 86% charge I discovered it has grown even more. no longer using that battery. I ordered a new one today, I will reply with the results on whether or not the battery helped the malfunctions. Otherwise I will reset and report back to see if that help any.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Papertiger382

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I got the new battery and it helped the charging issue but the system glitches have become less frequent, which I expected it to either to nothing or fit the problem completely not partly. Could the battery or bad out damage the OS?

I'm a little nervous about the factory reset, I have never backed up my device or "Sync" it before. Can I sync it with my desktop? And will this save my contacts and other preferences? Could you explain all that or direct me to a thread that does, that would be a great help.

Thank you