Why higher capacity battery doesn't fully charge?

jeobsplyr

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello All,
Bought an extra higher capacity battery for my Samsung Galaxy Relay T699, 2500 mAh. This battery has not fully charged since I've had it. The phone charge icon will indicate 100%, but, when turn the phone on, the percentage indicator shows anywhere from 79-85%. What's up with this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Charge the battery for 12 hours for each increment it is over the original battery (IOW, if it's 3 times the capacity, charge it for 36 hours). Then take it off the charger, let it sit for 15 minutes. Put it back on the charger for 1 hour for each increment (3 hours for a battery 3 times the capacity of the original).

Use the battery until the phone tells you to charge it. Then charge it for at least 12 hours. Do this cycle, charge and use until told to charge, 3 times (with the first charge being very long). That will condition the battery.

From then on, don't let it discharge below 40%. (That's true of any lithium battery if you want maximum life from it - see the second chart at Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries and do the arithmetic.) It's going to take an amount of time to charge from any given amount of charge left the increment over the original times the time it took to charge the original. So if it's 3 times the capacity of the original, and it took you 4 hours to charge the original, it's going to take 12 hours to charge this one. (Which is why I go with 2 or 3 batteries and chargers to charge all but the one in th phone. I can go from 40% on all my batteries to 100% on all of them in about 2 hours - and I can have 5 times the capacity of the original if I needed that much, for a LOT less than a single battery that size would cost. Two batteries and a charger for the Relay are about $15 - and you get the equivalent of a 5400mA battery that will charge in a couple of hours from dead [which, of course, you should never do]. Just look on Amazon for relay battery. Hyperion has the package. I'm still using some 3 year old Hyperions in one of my phones.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz