Samsung Galaxy S6 first charging, how long should I do it for?

MaxQuentin

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Samsung galaxy s6 first charging

Today I went to get my Samsung galaxy s6. When I got the phone the worker said that the first time I charge it I should charge it fully and then keep it on the charger for 8-10 hours. I have had it on the charger for 4 hours now and it has charged up to 90%. What should I do? Keeping it on the charger for 8-10 hours more doesn't seem right. And also, why it is taking so long to charge?

MaxQuentin

May 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Need Samsung galaxy 1st charging advice. Please help.

Today I went to get my Samsung galaxy s6. When I got the phone the worker said that the first time I charge it I should charge it fully and then keep it on the charger for 8-10 hours. I have had it on the charger for 4 hours now and it has charged up to 90%. What should I do? Keeping it on the charger for 8-10 hours more doesn't seem right. And also, why it is taking so long to charge?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Need Samsung galaxy 1st charging advice. Please help.

There's no way to tell how long the battery has been sitting on shelves since it was made. (The cells can be used in batteries for other phones, so the cells could be older than the S6.) The battery has to be conditioned. Let it sit on the charger until it reaches 100% - then an additional 30 minutes. (Due to the way we have to measure State of Charge, the instant the phone says 100%, the battery is at about 98% charge.)

Use the phone normally after that, until it tells you to charge the battery. Put it on the charger and fully charge it again.

Do 3 complete cycles of that - fully charged, don't charge again until the phone tells you to.

From then on, try to never let the battery get below 40%. (50% is the ideal charge point for maximum battery life, but 40% won't change it by much. 20% will cut the battery life by about 75%.) Not having to replace the battery to often is especially important in the S6 - Samsung charges $45 (you pay shipping) and you're without a phone for at least a few days.

Read The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante