1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    "Shiny" Stock Android

Default Otterbox/Commuter Case Opinion

Anyone pickup or order a commuter case yet? I know VZW carries the defender, but i find that too bulky and am looking for something a little more slimming. Any feedback would be great. Also feedback on otterboxes in general would be welcome, never bought one of their products.

Thanks in advance.

Did otterbox release this commuter case yet?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Default Re: Otterbox/Commuter Case Opinion

it is on their webpage, and on amazon...

I was wondering about this one also, the defender seemed so huge.

wish some of the other makers would come out with more options soon, I don't really care for the cheapy silicone skin I picked up for temporary use.

This case looks nice. I am thinking about buying it but really want to know if it will fit in the Standard and HD dock. My fear is that it will not.

ROM
    Stock on most

I ordered a Commuter when it went up on the website, but haven't gotten a shipping notice yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    This case looks nice. I am thinking about buying it but really want to know if it will fit in the Standard and HD dock. My fear is that it will not.
    I'm going to say no even before seeing it in person, my TPU case *just barely* fits in the standard dock with the sleeve removed. I've had Commuter cases before and they tend to be much thicker than TPU cases.

The commuter case was just delivered this afternoon, I just quickly put it on and headed off to work.

Just some prelimary observations about the case, will do a more thorough review at a later date

- Extended Battery WILL NOTfit with this case
    - The very edge of the screen is accesible with not issues; I had issues with my DX Commuter case that made it difficult to get access to the very edge of the screen.
    - The headphone jack, HDMI and USB port is covered with a rubber plug

Will be back in a day or two with pictures and a more thorough review
    Thanked by:
    Jasper 

Thanks kman. Hoping you have a standard dock and possibly HD dock to tell us if it fits either with the case on. Pics will also be much appreciated along w ur review. Thanks again.

Well I emailed Otterbox to find out about docking with the Commuter case and the response I got didn't tell me anything:

We don't test them with all of the accessories so it may not work directly with our case on the Bionic trying to connect to a dock. Many people will use an adapter cord so that they can leave the case on and still protect their device while docking.
    Kinda sounds like it wont work but I would really like to know for sure. I am also curious if they will be making the Reflex and Impact series for the Bionic, I will ask that question next and report back.

Otterbox told me they are unsure at this point if they will make the Impact and Reflex series for the Bionic, but its a possibility. Keep checking the website was the best I got out of them. I have never used Impact or the Reflex but I have read that they do work with Docking stations.

I have the otterbox commuter for my bionic (and the incipio silicrylic), and I can confirm that the Commuter does NOT fit in the standard dock. The Incipio does fit into the std dock, but the Commuter does not. I like the look and protection of the Commuter more than the Incipio, but like the feel and the dockability of the Incipio, so for now, the Incipio is edging out the Commuter. I also have great difficulty removing the Otterbox Commuter case. Jaws of life thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kman79 View Post
    The commuter case was just delivered this afternoon, I just quickly put it on and headed off to work.

Just some prelimary observations about the case, will do a more thorough review at a later date

- Extended Battery WILL NOTfit with this case
    - The very edge of the screen is accesible with not issues; I had issues with my DX Commuter case that made it difficult to get access to the very edge of the screen.
    - The headphone jack, HDMI and USB port is covered with a rubber plug

Will be back in a day or two with pictures and a more thorough review
    Have you tried with extended battery without the back cover and putting the case on? I currently have the standard battery and defender case and would assume defender and commuter fit the same on the back except different layering and was curious before getting the extended battery.

I've heard of a few mentions of various cases fitting without the back cover on the phone so I'm hopeful the otterbox would. The defender back cover is beefy enough to not really need the back cover as far as I can see. It's already really bulky lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walkman666 View Post
    I have the otterbox commuter for my bionic (and the incipio silicrylic), and I can confirm that the Commuter does NOT fit in the standard dock. The Incipio does fit into the std dock, but the Commuter does not. I like the look and protection of the Commuter more than the Incipio, but like the feel and the dockability of the Incipio, so for now, the Incipio is edging out the Commuter. I also have great difficulty removing the Otterbox Commuter case. Jaws of life thing.
    Did you purchase the white or the black? I kinda like the white one but the outer case looks more gray than black. So may just go black on black. Just curious what you went with and how you like it.

Got my Commuter in the mail today, man this is just an awesome case. Well built and has a great feel to it. I would honestly rather use this case than the TPU case, even thought with the TPU I can use the dock.

ROM
    Stock on most

The Commuter is pretty nice from a build standpoint. It lets you get at the whole screen without any obstruction. There were three drawbacks that I didn't like and have made me stop using it.
    First, the back is smooth plastic that slides easily on any surface. I guess I got used to having a bit of silicon on my cases bottom to keep it from sliding everywhere.
    Second, getting it on and off is terrible. Once that thing gets your phone in its mouth, it is extremely hard to get it off. Great if you don't ever need access to the innards, but terrible if you swap batteries.
    Third, the flap over the USB/HDMI ports is irritating. It is pretty thick causing thicker charge cords to not fit right at the top. Just a pain in general to have it there and need to move it out of the way all the time. As often as the Bionic ends up plugged in to charge, it was more nuisance than protection.
    Thanked by 2:

I found out today that Radio Shack has them in stock. That is where I got mine.