Reusable car dock?

little_blaine

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Now that I got the phone, I'm trying to save some money on accessories. Since I already have the motorola D1 car dock, I'm wondering if I can reuse it for the bionic. Obviously the phone is bigger and doesn't fit, but in theory I should be able to reuse the windshield mount and car charger, and just replace the end piece that holds the phone. Does anyone know if the end piece is available separately, even from third party vendors?

little_blaine

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Touche. However, the motorola docks look modular enough, where you shouldn't have to replace everything to get them working with a new phone. The phone holder is a detachable $2 piece of plastic which fits the D1, that I could replace with a bionic equivalent and keep everything else. This must have been part of the original design that marketing probably killed.

Electrode

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the car dock for the Bionic and love it.. it is simple to install the phone and remove it. The power cord plugs into the back of the dock and "docks" into the unit... a little lever folds down to hold the phone in place so you don't have to snap it in. And I'm really impressed with the layout of the new display for the car dock feature... One more thing, the mount holds twice as good as the D1's mount did... much more stable.. My advice give it a try. Verizon is good about returns if your not satisfied.

jimdibb

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The Bionic navigation dock is much more substantial than the D1 dock. It has USB pass through, so you can leave the charger connected and just put the phone in.

But, you're right , it is modular. I put the bionic dock end onto the suction base from my D1 dock. It is interchangeable.

Also, the new dock is better designed in that it can work with the extended battery or without it, and it might have a chance of fitting when you have a case on your bionic.

As I posted earlier though, I'm a bit ticked that it didn't come with the combined usb/audio cable that would allow me to save my headphone jack from wearing out by not having to plug it in every time.