Bionic Car Mount Y-Cable?

MakeItRain

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
When you buy the Motorola car mount that Verizon sells for the Bionic, on page 3 it shows a Y-Cable that is not included...

Does this wire exist???

One end is a micro-usb, and the other end has a male USB and a male auxilary.

It allows you to plug only the one micro-USB into the back of the mount, and then it splits at the other end to plug into a car auxilary port and car charger; THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO DO!!! I was under the impression that the mount came with it. Mine did not.

Suggestions??

malignanttheories

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in this as well, it would be good news to hear that you can send out audio over the micro USB port, providing a great way to circumvent the noise in the onboard 3.5 mm headphone jack.

guardlights

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I asked the same question on HoFo earlier today. Went to a local store, and predictably no one knew anything about it. it should still work without it, Personally I am not in need of the audio cable, But I like the idea of a cable plugging in without the tension of the curly cord. Could just use the straight cable that came with the phone, but don't want to take it each time I am in the car.
I cant find the cable shown in the manual anywhere.

sunlifexxx

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
if you have a USB Aux in your car then get yourself a BlackBerry Gateway blue tooth device, it stays powered through the USB and then you do not need to use any 3.5 cable , I have had that set up for 6 months and love it. fyi, ill only will work with the music/ and nav no phone calls

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
When you buy the Motorola car mount that Verizon sells for the Bionic, on page 3 it shows a Y-Cable that is not included...

Does this wire exist???

One end is a micro-usb, and the other end has a male USB and a male auxilary.

It allows you to plug only the one micro-USB into the back of the mount, and then it splits at the other end to plug into a car auxilary port and car charger; THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TO DO!!! I was under the impression that the mount came with it. Mine did not.

Suggestions??

My window mount (bought from Verizon) for the Droid 3 came with this exact cable. What blows is that the Droid 3 Window Mount costs the exact same price as the Bionic Window Mount without the cable you speak of.

I went into my local VZW store to voice my concerns and was basically told... "too bad, so sorry"

I really cant blame the local sales rep... this is a "higher up" problem, I am sending an email to VZW today.

Laptop-guy

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
The link does not show the cable nor offer any specs on it, before I pay 20 bucks I want to make sure this is in fact the Y cable in question. Has anybody purchased this part number and used it with the car dock?
Thanks for any info...

VBGlacier

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have - I bought it straight off this link. It works like a charm.

BTW, after going into my local VZW store and having them claim no knowledge of it, the last time I was there, they acted like 'oh yeah - the accessory cable. We have tons of them!' I didn't verify that the sales rep was talking about the same thing.

kbo

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
so with this cable, you can play audio through the micro-usb???

I bought my car dock from amazon and it came with the cable.

This cable provides an AUX out on the end of the cable that plugs into your charger. The audio is fed through the micro-usb to the AUX. You don't have to plug your cable into your headphone jack every time you put the phone in the dock. It seems to only have two settings for volume though, full and off.

VBGlacier

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought my car dock from amazon and it came with the cable.

This cable provides an AUX out on the end of the cable that plugs into your charger. The audio is fed through the micro-usb to the AUX. You don't have to plug your cable into your headphone jack every time you put the phone in the dock. It seems to only have two settings for volume though, full and off.

I haven't noticed any issues with volume - but I generally keep my Bionic on the same volume (~ 3/4) and use the car audio to adjust the volume. I'll test it tonight.

But yes, it plays audio through the Micro USB to the integrated audio jack on the full USB side (near the charger plug). As someone else here noted in another thread, though, if you receive a call while in the car dock, the audio defaults to the Bionic speaker (with 'Speaker' highlighted). To redirect the audio to your car output, click Speaker off in the call.

VBGlacier

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
My mistake - If I had been more observant, I would have seen in another forum that the output on this is a fixed volume, so you use your car audio to adjust volume.

motionmanjim

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I have found this cable to be unusable. Their is a ton of static when used in the aux input of my stereo. I'm not a fan of ground loop isolators, so I guess this was a waste of money.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has the cable you all need, however you will have to call CS as the cable isnt available for order on vzw.com.

Ask for skew MICAUXCAB

RichTSr

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Got my car mount at a VZW store. It came with the Y cable. Unfortunately, there's also alot of background noise when plugged into the AUX. The noise actually varies with the rpm's of the car. If you can push the audio through the bluetooth go that route. Sounds perfect!

jimdibb

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have started to notice some noise over the y cable, but it seems to depend a bit on the power adapter. The one I bought just broke after 2 months and it wasn't staying in all the way. Noise was pretty bad. If i pushed it in fully, seemed better. Grounding on the power sends to be important. Going to pay 2x for a Moto USB plug.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

minniemouse27

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain exactly what comes w/ the VZW car dock and what comes w/ the Motorola car dock....and what I will NEED to have to use the car dock in my vehicle?

Currently I have a car charger and a cable that will connect my phone to my AUX outlet in either vehicle (I used both w/ my original Droid but recently replaced the charger w/ a new one from VZW when the original died).

Thank you!

jimdibb

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The vzw dock includes the dock and a regular, short, male-male 3.5 mm headphone cable.

The moto dock comes with a hybrid usb charging/ audio cable and a car usb power plug.

If you have a regular Moto car charger you can use it with the vzw dock, but you have to plug the audio cable in separately to the headphone jack.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has the cable you all need, however you will have to call CS as the cable isnt available for order on vzw.com.

Ask for skew MICAUXCAB

What did Verizon charge you and was that for the cable and charger? Motorola wants $50 total for both. That's more than what I paide for the dock.

johnnyzero2

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
As someone else here noted in another thread, though, if you receive a call while in the car dock, the audio defaults to the Bionic speaker (with 'Speaker' highlighted). To redirect the audio to your car output, click Speaker off in the call.

After much frustration & a lot of searching, I finally came across a very clever workaround for this issue in a Motorola Atrix-related forum. Cheers and many thanks to ACraigL (Andrew) for his original post.

Here's how to get around it:

1) Go to Android Marketplace and install an app called "Setting Profiles". The free Lite version will do the job.

2) Run Setting Profiles on your phone.

3) Create a new profile that turns off the speakerphone; call it "Speakerphone Off" or whatever. Hint: to create a profile that does this, clear all the checkboxes and all the green stars, then enable the green star for Speakerphone and make sure that checkbox is unchecked.

4) Create a new Rule with the following two conditions: Docking State=car dock and Active Call. Use Add Tweak to add a 5-second Activation Delay (this is required so the phone doesn't override the Speakerphone Off setting). Finally, choose Add Action, Activate Profile, Speakerphone Off.

Voila! All incoming and outgoing calls will now play through your car speakers via the Car Dock's audio out.

Note: If you have trouble on your phone, try tweaking the delay time. The 5 second delay works flawlessly on my Bionic; the original poster said he ended up using 3 seconds for his Atrix.

I hope this is helpful to other users.

best,
JohnB

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon