Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is a screen protector necessary?

This is my first Android phone. I understand that the screen is scratch resistant, but obviously not scratch proof. So is a screen protected even needed?

Default Re: Is a screen protector necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
    This is my first Android phone. I understand that the screen is scratch resistant, but obviously not scratch proof. So is a screen protected even needed?
    Honestly, taking the screen protector off of my Droid Incredible was the best thing I ever did. Didn't even think twice about not purchasing one with my Bionic. Gorilla glass is awesome, holds up to my keys and everything else in my pockets. The Incredible still looks like it did when it was new out of the box.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Completely necessary in my opinion. Just get a high quality one and you'll never even realize its on there. None of that Zagg garbage. I recommended Steinheil Ultra Crystal. Completely unnoticeable once on and feels like glass.

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    Completely necessary in my opinion. Just get a high quality one and you'll never even realize its on there. None of that Zagg garbage. I recommended Steinheil Ultra Crystal. Completely unnoticeable once on and feels like glass.

I searched for Steinheil Ultra Crystal, but all I could find were screen protectors for the iPhone.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblecub View Post
    Honestly, taking the screen protector off of my Droid Incredible was the best thing I ever did. Didn't even think twice about not purchasing one with my Bionic. Gorilla glass is awesome, holds up to my keys and everything else in my pockets. The Incredible still looks like it did when it was new out of the box.
    I'm thinking of going without one. Purchased the one from Verizon and they even installed it for me.
    That was a complete waste of money. It was a fingerprint and smudge magnet.
    Made the screen's clarity very hazy. It didn't cover the entire front, only the screen.
    So I ended up feeling the edges of it while swiping on the screen.
    I removed it and I've been happy ever since.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    I'm thinking of going without one. Purchased the one from Verizon and they even installed it for me.
    Made the screen's clarity very hazy. It didn't cover the entire front, only the screen.

Screen protectors from the carrier store are always garbage. Stienheils website is sgpstore.com. They have them for the Bionic, I just looked. Give it a shot, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. No on can even tell there are protectors on my gear. Completely clear and feels like glass.

Screen protectors from the carrier store are always garbage. Stienheils website is sgpstore.com. They have them for the Bionic, I just looked. Give it a shot, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. No on can even tell there are protectors on my gear. Completely clear and feels like glass.

Which type do you recommend?

SteinheilUltra Crystal

SteinheilUltra Optics

SteinheilUltra Oleophobic

SteinheilUltra Fine

I saw this when I came across the different type screen protectors they had for it.
    SGP Motorola Droid Bionic Screen Protector Steinheil Series - Droid Bionic - Motorola - Cell Phones

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Which type do you recommend?

SteinheilUltra Crystal

SteinheilUltra Optics

SteinheilUltra Oleophobic

SteinheilUltra Fine

I saw this when I came across the different type screen protectors they had for it.
    SGP Motorola Droid Bionic Screen Protector Steinheil Series - Droid Bionic - Motorola - Cell Phones
    The Ultra Crystal. Hands down the best out there.

The Ultra Crystal. Hands down the best out there.

I was debating which one should I get, because I saw this as a description:

Ultra Optics is our newest product which is anti-fingerprint and anti-glare and does not interfere with retina display.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

I was debating which one should I get, because I saw this as a description:

Ultra Optics is our newest product which is anti-fingerprint and anti-glare and does not interfere with retina display.
    I've never used the Ultra Optics, but on their chart, it doesn't have the clarity or hardness of the Ultra Crystal. I guess it depends what you are looking for. I don't have a problem wiping my fingerprints off occasionally, and the clarity of the Ultra Crystal is unparalleled in my experience. Give it a shot.

I think they're a waste of money on today's phones. People don't give credit where credit is due to Corning's Gorilla Glass. The only thing you're going to have to worry about is cracking the glass, and no screen protector in the world will save the phone from that, maybe hold it together but it'll still crack. Just go without one and save the money for a dock or extra battery if this guy hasn't already convinced you otherwise.
    Last edited by incrediblecub; 09-17-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

I think they're a waste of money on today's phones. People don't give credit where credit is due to Corning's Gorilla Glass. The only thing you're going to have to worry about is cracking the glass, and no screen protector in the world will save the phone from that, maybe hold it together but it'll still crack. Just go without one and save the money for a dock or extra battery if this guy hasn't already convinced you otherwise.
    I give Gorilla Glass plenty of credit, but apparently you give it too much. It can, and will, scratch. Any type of sand, or dirt with any sand in it will scratch it. Just seems silly to me to not protect a $500 phone with a $14 screen protector that is undetectable once on. Its just a matter of time before everyone who hasn't scratched a screen actually does and then kicks themselves for not using common sense.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I ended up getting the Otterbox defender case for 20% at the Verizon store.

I give Gorilla Glass plenty of credit, but apparently you give it too much. It can, and will, scratch. Any type of sand, or dirt with any sand in it will scratch it. Just seems silly to me to not protect a $500 phone with a $14 screen protector that is undetectable once on. Its just a matter of time before everyone who hasn't scratched a screen actually does and then kicks themselves for not using common sense.
    I've taken my Droid Incredible to Galveston Beach, Pensacola Beach, and numerous other place where there are things that would cause scratches and to this day is has none, not a single blemish of any sort on the glass, and I've dropped it in quite a few undesirable places such as ON the beach, in the sand.. brushed it away, never a problem.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

I've taken my Droid Incredible to Galveston Beach, Pensacola Beach, and numerous other place where there are things that would cause scratches and to this day is has none, not a single blemish of any sort on the glass, and I've dropped it in quite a few undesirable places such as ON the beach, in the sand.. brushed it away, never a problem.
    I don't know what to tell you other than you are incredibly lucky, or making up stories. Gorilla Glass does scratch. Proven fact. I'm glad yours never has, but it happens. Easily preventable with a screen protector, and with some of the amazing ones out there, there's no reason not to have one

Quote Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
    I ended up getting the Otterbox defender case for 20% at the Verizon store.
    Enjoy your new brick :-) That case is huge

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Judgement Day is upon us!!!!.. Bionic has gone online and became self-aware.. awaiting destruction in 3..2..
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNovaLN View Post
    Enjoy your new brick :-) That case is huge

One of the Verizon employees had it and I messed with it. Despite it being pretty big, I still liked it.

ROM
    Stock

Zagg had completely soured me to screen protectors. In my experience, the screen protectors looked frosted after a few months. And changing them was a huge pain in the ****.

I've gone for years without "protection" and it feels great. (Yuck, yuck) Seriously, swiping my bare finger on this screen feels wonderful compared to the plastic screen protectors.

If you use your phone with dirty fingers, then get one. If you're like me, a cubicle dweller who's as likely to get motor oil and dirt under the nails as winning an Olympic gold medal for 100m dash, enjoy the fine polish of a (basically) real glass screen.

ROM
    Stock

IMO, the value proposition not nearly as important as enjoying / encouraging the use of my Bionic. That's not to say I'm swimming in a sea of gold, (a la Scrooge McDuck), but the sensation of the bare screen is of far more value to me than protection from the unlikely situation of accidentally putting my phone and keys in the same pocket.

Bottom line: If it weren't fire this lovely bare screen, I probably wouldn't have the desire to Swype all these words on my phone.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Quote Originally Posted by IRSmurf View Post
    Zagg had completely soured me to screen protectors. In my experience, the screen protectors looked frosted after a few months. And changing them was a huge pain in the ****.

I've gone for years without "protection" and it feels great. (Yuck, yuck) Seriously, swiping my bare finger on this screen feels wonderful compared to the plastic screen protectors.

If you use your phone with dirty fingers, then get one. If you're like me, a cubicle dweller who's as likely to get motor oil and dirt under the nails as winning an Olympic gold medal for 100m dash, enjoy the fine polish of a (basically) real glass screen.

But see, here's your problem. You're talking about Zagg, a company that hasn't improved their design in years. It's the equivalent of me saying I don't like cell phones because my Razor sucked. There have been vast improvements, bit many don't know because they keep buying that Zagg crap, or other wet protectors. I'm going to post a link to another topic where I talked a guy into getting a Steinheil for his Transformer. Maybe his reaction will convince you. He was in the same boat thinking Zagg was the only game in town. Now he realizes how wrong he was.

The bottom line really is that if you love the lovely bare screen, get a protector that feels just like that lovely bare screen. They are out there, you just don't realize it

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Scratch Yet?

Here you go. Follow how this guy thought about screen protectors and how he feels after trying the Steinheil Ultra Crystal.

ROM
    Blur

I tried an SGP and dont get me wrong i like it...BUT
    for me the zagg works best and i love the orange peel effect which is not that noticeable from the side and not at all directly.and the added friction on my finger. plus i got alot less finger prints and smudging on the zagg than the SGP i usually throw my fone into my pocket with keys and other rough metal objects and i do quite a bit of running so naturally the screen gets scratched. not so with the zagg, i hate phone cases that add so much brick that add so much weight or change the shape of the fone because it becomes a brick. i have a TPU case on because of form factor.

Both great product but in my case the Zagg wins here, but for my ipad definitively the SGP which i use in a cleaner environment, and not so mobile as a cellphone

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Quote Originally Posted by Vato805 View Post
    I tried an SGP and dont get me wrong i like it...BUT
    for me the zagg works best and i love the orange peel effect which is not that noticeable from the side and not at all directly.and the added friction on my finger. plus i got alot less finger prints and smudging on the zagg than the SGP i usually throw my fone into my pocket with keys and other rough metal objects and i do quite a bit of running so naturally the screen gets scratched. not so with the zagg, i hate phone cases that add so much brick that add so much weight or change the shape of the fone because it becomes a brick. i have a TPU case on because of form factor.

Both great product but in my case the Zagg wins here, but for my ipad definitively the SGP which i use in a cleaner environment, and not so mobile as a cellphone
    Okay, two things. One, YOU LIKE THE ORANGE PEEL?!? I can honesty say I've never heard anyone say that. If you do, then the Zagg is definitely for you. Two, Steinheil also makes a wet application protector that is the same type of material as the Zagg without the thickness and orange peel. I can honestly say I've never had a problem with the Steinheil getting damaged. But, I give you credit, at least you tried other protectors and didn't just write them off over one had experience wwith one brand

ROM
    Blur

Okay, two things. One, YOU LIKE THE ORANGE PEEL?!? I can honesty say I've never heard anyone say that. If you do, then the Zagg is definitely for you. Two, Steinheil also makes a wet application protector that is the same type of material as the Zagg without the thickness and orange peel. I can honestly say I've never had a problem with the Steinheil getting damaged. But, I give you credit, at least you tried other protectors and didn't just write them off over one had experience wwith one brand
    Yes i actually do like the orange peel it gives it more friction on my finger and i like that.

Yes i believe in trying out all the options and comparing, some products work for some situations or people, and some dont.

i LOVE both the Zagg and the SGP

I use my ipad alot for school and lounging around the house so my hands are clean and so forth. so i stick to the SGP

but my cellfone i use it everywhere be it for work, hobbies, running errands etc and cant always me making sure my hands are spotless and the Zagg is awesome with oil and prints

this atleast holds true for my situation remember everything is how YOU use it not the man next to you!

The SGP ones, even the oleophobic ones, are fingerprint and smudge magnets. Zagg is an orange peel. I've tried them both and hated them both. I had a Fascinate, a Charge, and a Bionic is on it's way, and I know for certain it will be naked like those before. I hate smudges and fingerprints and orange peels, and my gorilla glass phones so far have had no scratches whatsoever... So I have faith the next one will be no different.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast