Lapdock on DROID Bionic with ICS and Webtop 3.0

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've spent a few days now with the (very) stable 6.7.230 ICS leak. One notable change with this leak is that Webtop no longer crashes when you dock it into a Lapdock. There will probably be some that disagree with me, based on how they previously used Webtop with Gingerbread but in my opinion, Webtop 3.0 completely destroys the previous Webtop experience.

For those that haven't heard yet (as seen on the DROID RAZR/RAZR MAXX ICS build), instead of launching a Webtop app, Webtop 3.0 uses ICS is tablet mode. This means everything is running natively - not through a separate Webtop application. Because of this, performance has greatly improved.

On the previous version of Webtop, I could manage but with caveats. Before launching, I would manually kill apps with the built-in Task Manager - something I absolutely detested. Android doesn't need task killers, but I really needed to use them when launching the old Webtop just so that I could use the Firefox browser efficiently. And by "using Firefox efficiently", I mean limiting my open tabs to two. And don't even think about using it on content-heavy sites.

Webtop 3.0 ditches the desktop version of Firefox. But now that I'm on ICS, I can use the Chrome browser instead. On this version of Webtop, apps with tablet versions now launch into that version, like Netflix and Gmail. It's now easier for me to type up documents in Google Drive now that there's less lag. I simply find myself being more productive.

I typed up this entire post using the Android Central app. I couldn't have done this without struggles on the prevous version of Webtop.

I was considering buying a Nexus 7. The DROID Xyboard 8.2 is actually my ideal tablet size but due to pricing of the Nexus 7, I couldn't justify it. But Webtop 3.0 has me holding off on any tablet now.

Pros:
- less lag
- smother UI
- tablet versions of certain apps
- apps run natively
- Chrome feels like the desktop version
- can add widgets to the tablet-mode's homescreens

Cons:
- if you absolutely need Firefox and Flash, you might not like this version

Conclusion: This honestly feels like a TI OMAP-powered tablet, without a touchscreen. You can find deals on the Bionic-specific Lapdock now for less than $90. At that price, I think it's a worthwhile invesment for any Bionic owner.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Reactions: WebOS Refugee

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the stability, it's a welcome improvement. The problem I have is that the tablet interface on a non touch screen sucks!
Have you tried scrolling through posts in the google plus app? HORRIBLE. You get two posts per page and it takes a click/drag/fling to get two more posts. You'll get carpal tunnel before you get through your circles.

The real killer for me is the inability to access sites like hulu, HBO go, and Amazon prime through the browser. I got the lapdock specifically for that option and now can no longer do it. The update killed the single most useful feature of the device, with no recourse that I can see other than sticking with GB.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the stability, it's a welcome improvement. The problem I have is that the tablet interface on a non touch screen sucks!
Have you tried scrolling through posts in the google plus app? HORRIBLE. You get two posts per page and it takes a click/drag/fling to get two more posts. You'll get carpal tunnel before you get through your circles.

The real killer for me is the inability to access sites like hulu, HBO go, and Amazon prime through the browser. I got the lapdock specifically for that option and now can no longer do it. The update killed the single most useful feature of the device, with no recourse that I can see other than sticking with GB.

I use an mouse. Makes the experience much better, especially with the scroll wheel.

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I use a mouse too, but the scroll wheel doesn't navigate you sideways in tablet apps.

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've not tried the hulu plus app, but that only supports paid subscriptions, while the website hosts a lot of free content.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey RY, can u point me to where i can dl this rom?? Everything ive tried, webtop fcs..

:droid:

Use House of Bionic to 232. Or you can wait. ICS should be officially out soon.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Ry, any update with 246? I'm looking at getting the lapdock 500 pro and was just wondering how it was working out with the latest version. I'd appreciate any more thoughts you might have before I shell out the cash for it. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ry, any update with 246? I'm looking at getting the lapdock 500 pro and was just wondering how it was working out with the latest version. I'd appreciate any more thoughts you might have before I shell out the cash for it. Thanks for any help you can provide.

It's working well with 246. Haven't had any reboots. Transition is smooth between modes.

The only thing I can't test is if the Bionic can take advantage of the Lapdock 500's front cam since I only have the Bionic-specific lapdock.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I think I'm going to go for it. I plan on having this phone for a while. My perfect solution is to one day have a tablet device that I can dock my phone into. Until then, the lapdock will work.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I think I'm going to go for it. I plan on having this phone for a while. My perfect solution is to one day have a tablet device that I can dock my phone into. Until then, the lapdock will work.

When you get a chance, let me know if the Lapdock 500 Pro's front cam works with the Bionic.

MrBucket85

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Netflix and Comcast Xfinity both work for me when my Bionic is in the lapdock. The hulu+ app detects that I'm using the HDMI out and disables playback (note to content owners: people are going to keep pirating your stuff because it's not device agnostic like it should be). I'm not sure about HBO go or the Blockbuster app (I actually used it once for a free rental and it worked fairly well. While we're on the subject: how long is it going to take Amazon to release an Amazon Prime app for Android? I thought the point of the Kindle fire(s) was to sell content - not hardware. Or are they really having that much trouble getting content licenses?

MrBucket85

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
On another note... Does anyone have volume control for the lapdock speakers or are you only able to control volume when it's routed through the phone speakers? When I dock my Bionic and try to change the volume it really only toggles between 0 and 100% event though it shows a specific volume.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
On another note... Does anyone have volume control for the lapdock speakers or are you only able to control volume when it's routed through the phone speakers? When I dock my Bionic and try to change the volume it really only toggles between 0 and 100% event though it shows a specific volume.

I believe this is an issue with all Webtop 3.0 devices.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Did you get the Lapdock 500 Pro?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084