Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Per @P3Droid they rooted the Bionic

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    ROM
    Codenameandroid 1.3

Just saw awhile ago! Rooted before its release to the public

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Default Droid Bionic is Rooted!

Droid Bionic is Rooted

Droid Bionic is Rooted
    Thanked by 6:

Default Re: Droid Bionic is Rooted!

Quote Originally Posted by GBH2 View Post
    Droid Bionic is Rooted

Droid Bionic is Rooted
    Wohooo!!!!! Wireless Tether here I come.. lol
    Judgement Day is upon us!!!!.. Bionic has gone online and became self-aware.. awaiting destruction in 3..2..

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNovaLN View Post
    Wohooo!!!!! Wireless Tether here I come.. lol
    weeeeee!

Sorry, I'm new to the whole Android scene, Chevy, what do you use for wireless tether? PDAnet? I heard VZW was crackign down on non-plan tethering...

I picked up one of those firesale TouchPads and having free wireless tether would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by clearrants View Post
    weeeeee!

Sorry, I'm new to the whole Android scene, Chevy, what do you use for wireless tether? PDAnet? I heard VZW was crackign down on non-plan tethering...

I picked up one of those firesale TouchPads and having free wireless tether would be awesome!
    Its just called 'Wireless Tether' in the android market. Lets you do bluetooth or WiFi ad-hoc connection to a laptop or 'whatever can do ad-hoc' and share internet.
    Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=android.tether

PDAnet is free, but not if you want HTTPS access. 'Wireless Tether' has no limits.

I've also had good luck with 'Barnacle'
    Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=net.szym.barnacle
    Judgement Day is upon us!!!!.. Bionic has gone online and became self-aware.. awaiting destruction in 3..2..
    Thanked by:

AWESOME NEWS!!! I was wondering how long it would be before I could use tethering too.

@Clearrants: Wireless Tether for root users is what I have used in the past.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNovaLN View Post
    Its just called 'Wireless Tether' in the android market. Lets you do bluetooth or WiFi ad-hoc connection to a laptop or 'whatever can do ad-hoc' and share internet.
    Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=android.tether

PDAnet is free, but not if you want HTTPS access. 'Wireless Tether' has no limits.

I've also had good luck with 'Barnacle'
    Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=net.szym.barnacle
    Quote Originally Posted by sfay93 View Post
    AWESOME NEWS!!! I was wondering how long it would be before I could use tethering too.

@Clearrants: Wireless Tether for root users is what I have used in the past.
    Thanks guys! I'm even more excited for Thursday now!

Well this is certainly welcome news. Now, let's see if they can get that bootloader unlocked.

ROM
    Project Elite OG

Well I already knew it was root-able already. Nice to see one actually get rooted.
    jroc likes this.

Just saw this! Now I'm even more excited to get my Bionic!! Few more days!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    ROM
    Codenameandroid 1.3

There's already a post of this in the Roms, hacking section.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Dodge DeBoulet likes this.

I have no idea how to root, so I'd be afraid of ruining the bionic

You can bet a one click will be out for it before it's even released on the 8th. I wouldn't worry too much. This is great news for those of us that use titanium backup, though. It'll make moving to the Bionic so much easier.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Of course I'll want to make sure there is a way to backup and unroot, if necessary. Coming from an Eris we had the recovery console and a Nand backup. Does Motorola have something similar?
    Thanked by:
    sethjk 

I think we'll need an SBF to recover it with but I'm not 100% sure.

ROM
    Project Elite OG

Default Re: Per @P3Droid they rooted the Bionic

That's why I had been keeping a close eye on the Droid 3. I just knew that the Droid 3 was going to be a great guinea pig for the Bionic. Alright you Droid 3 hackers. Get to work on getting us potential Bionic users clockwork recovery before we get our phone. Another thing I hoping we get soon after is an official .sbf for the bionic. The D3 hasn't seen one yet except for that chinese version that will brick the phone. Oh yeah an unlocked bootloader but i'm not holding my breath on that one anytime soon.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,039 Global Posts

Yup! I knew it wouldn't take long.

Be careful with wireless tether you could get zapped with large fees and / or fines.

Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Yup! I knew it wouldn't take long.

Be careful with wireless tether you could get zapped with large fees and / or fines.
    I agree. Its getting 'dangerous'. I rarely use it... just if I happen to get paged and I need to "dial-in" to VPN using my laptop to fix a problem on our servers when i'm away from home.

Honestly, thats what I plan on using the Lapdock and my citrix connnection for in the future, So Wireless tether is a thing of the past for me, in most cases.

ROM
    Bionic Stock Kernel

Hell, I really don't want or really need to use tethering in any way - I just would like to zap that unremovable up-your-arseware that VZW forces onto OUR phones.
    " Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one."
    - J. Michael Straczynski
    jroc, irl Panda and ChevyNovaLN like this.

I just use my Xoom's official wifi tethering capability if I need tethering. Yea, it's not unlimited data, but, I'm not usually in a place where I need to tether a laptop anyway. Besides, that's yet another thing that eats battery.

Quick Q: Regarding tether, is it fair to assume that 'Wireless Tether' will work simply because the Bionic can be rooted? The app appears to require a kernel which supports netfilter (iptables). Do we know for sure that the Bionic is so equipped? I searched, but couldn't find a definitive answer. Thanks in advance.

ROM
    AOKP JB

I may wait a little while before I root it, but I know I'll eventually want to try it. Especially for free tethering, I really want that
    There's a new phone that will run Crysis on Ultra at 120 fps on a 2160p display that's coming out 3 months after you buy your next phone.

As far as wireless tethering... I found I was able to "tether" through Bluetooth with the Motorola drivers installed on my windows 7 laptop. Fairly easy and I'm not sure if this mentioned as a no no by Verizon? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by fireplug View Post
    As far as wireless tethering... I found I was able to "tether" through Bluetooth with the Motorola drivers installed on my windows 7 laptop. Fairly easy and I'm not sure if this mentioned as a no no by Verizon? Anyone know?
    I'd say if you can do it with a completely stock build on your phone (no rooting, no new ROM, etc..) and it is using the built-in bluetooth stack that came with it, then they can't really fault you for it as you're not doing anything it wasn't capable of out of the box. However, if you've done any of the aforementioned steps to get to where you are, then they could easily see that as a 'no no'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast