Probably Getting Bionic Today...Should I Root It?

To Root or Not to Root

• Total voters

eygraber

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys, high likelihood I will be getting the Bionic today :) I only had to call every local store in my area and find an employee willing to sell me one (today's the last day to return my Thunderbolt and I CANNOT be stuck without a phone for a day). Assuming I actually get it, here's the question; to root or not to root? Let me hear your opinions.

TeeSquar

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I will not root until there is a way to backup ROMs and restore to stock.

Another tidbit is that P3Droid is reporting that Moto may have a patch coming out to disable the root exploit on the D3 ... which would translate into the Bionic, too, I suppose.

Last edited:

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You can root it, just be careful with what you do because until we get an SBF file, there's nothing to go back to if you mess something up.

eygraber

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
What are you wanting to do with it? I root every phone for backup purposes

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Generally I root for custom ROM'ming. But in this case I would most likely just get rid of bloatware. The only thing that would keep me from rooting is that I'm taking the LSATs in less than a month so I have no life other than studying for that, and if something went wrong (though with the new Motorola vulnerability it seems very unlikely) I wouldn't have time to work on a fix. Otherwise I would be in middle of writing my own ROM and root method. Real life sucks ;)

dcgore

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
This will be my first serious android device, i guess i'll have to root it as some point as i have done the equivalent with all other operating systems.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Generally I root for custom ROM'ming. But in this case I would most likely just get rid of bloatware. The only thing that would keep me from rooting is that I'm taking the LSATs in less than a month so I have no life other than studying for that, and if something went wrong (though with the new Motorola vulnerability it seems very unlikely) I wouldn't have time to work on a fix. Otherwise I would be in middle of writing my own ROM and root method. Real life sucks ;)

I planned on waiting for SBF, but now with the patch coming out I may root. But

You don't need any additional stress in your life while preparing for and taking the LSATs. You really only have one shot at them. You need to be on top of your game the day you take them and your performance will impact the rest of your life. If the Bionic isn't rooted again or doesn't have the bootloader unlocked after the LSAT's you can always sell it and get something else.

Good Luck! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21