BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: anon(392870)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted and everything is fine.

However, I cannot seem to restore any backups from Titanium Backup. It's showing as having nothing there.

I've figured out the problem here...For some reason, the Bionic file system is not seeing pre-existing directories on the sd card. Copying to the pc, formatting the card and copying back to the card does not fix it. If you plug the phone into a pc (mine is Win 7), you actually get two hard drives pop up, the internal and the sd card. For a hack/fix, if you copy whatever directories that you need (like Titanium Backup, LPP, ect, to the root of the internal drive, you backups will be seen and work. The long term problem with this is that the internal hard drive, although 16 gig, only has 8 gig available. If you have 10 to 15 gig of stuff on your card that you need the phone to see/use, you've got a problem.

Some one smarter than me needs to figure out how to make the phone see the data on the sd card.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted and everything is fine.

However, I cannot seem to restore any backups from Titanium Backup. It's showing as having nothing there.

I had the same problem at first. You need to go into the preferences in Titanium and change the location of your backups. The problem is titanium is looking in the "Sd Card" folder but your physical SD card is in the SDext folder. Have it scan the whole phone and then when it finds your backups use current folder.

odiej34

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I rooted and I'm not sure how to boot into recovery. I tried power buton and both volume buttons held down at the same time and got a menu with rwcovery listed on it. Volume for up down but cant figure out how to select recovery.
Thanks!
O.k figured out the menu. Volume up moves the curser volume down selects. When i selected recovery it rebooted to the exclamation point.

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
So if you root now, then have some issue with no sbf available yet, what would happen if you just did a factory reset? Wouldn't that put you back to a pre-rooted state?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
OK, I rooted using the one click method in this thread...piece of cake.

2 questions:

1. I don't think anyone has directly answered the tethering question yet...does it work (Wireless Tether or Barnicle, NOT pdanet)? I actually can't even find Wireless Tether in the market anymore. Where did it go?)

2. Are there any specific bloatware apps that freezing would actually improve performance? I don't really care about the bloatware being there, as I just don't use it. But what can be frozen that will improve speed?

yutzyscott

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't find where the article mentioned wireless tether.
Has anyone been able to use wireless tether, and if so what app?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
I was an avid user of wireless tether but please do not use it while still running stock rom. Verizon and motorola have security features built into the stock software to help them track people using what they consider illeagal tether apps. Please refrain from using such apps until there is a custom ROM released so as to avoid bringing us to the forefront of verizons attention. In the meantime use pdanet USB tether app located in market. It is important that we as a community stop using our knowledge to continue pushing carriers and handset manufacturers from locking us out completely. If we continue our current trend of outrite defiance in use of these wireless tether apps (wheather you think it should be ok or not is irrelevent until a court rules on it) we are only hurting ourselves in the long run. Please for now use pdanet or similar USB tether app as they are not frowned upon by carriers. If you need to know why here it is, USB apps allow only one device to be connected which limits bandwidth used at one time, wireless tethers allow you to run everything in your house simultatiously greatly increasing individual strain on the network and makeing the user experience for all worse in the long run as the network can only handle so much.
Well, there it all is, an informed public is a better public... Happy modding to all.

Last edited:

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I was an avid user of wireless tether but please do not use it while still running stock rom. Verizon and motorola have security features built into the stock software to help them track people using what they consider illeagal tether apps. Please refrain from using such apps until there is a custom ROM released so as to avoid bringing us to the forefront of verizons attention. In the meantime use pdanet USB tether app located in market. It is important that we as a community stop using our knowledge to continue pushing carriers and handset manufacturers from locking us out completely. If we continue our current trend of outrite defiance in use of these wireless tether apps (wheather you think it should be ok or not is irrelevent until a court rules on it) we are only hurting ourselves in the long run. Please for now use pdanet or similar USB tether app as they are not frowned upon by carriers. If you need to know why here it is, USB apps allow only one device to be connected which limits bandwidth used at one time, wireless tethers allow you to run everything in your house simultatiously greatly increasing individual strain on the network and makeing the user experience for all worse in the long run as the network can only handle so much.
Well, there it all is, an informed public is a better public... Happy modding to all.

Are we able to find documentation online of those security features?
Only downside about USB tethering is not being able to use it with an Android Tablet.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Jailbreaking, rooting, custom Roms, modified bootloaders....all frowned upon. Wireless tethering is nothing different.

If you find one that works...use it.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

lol

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, there it all is, an informed public is a better public... Happy modding to all.[/QUOTE

Sorry, but continuing to do this is how we tell Verizon that it's not ok to charge us twice for data we've already paid for. If you just do nothing, nothing will change.

ddggttff3

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Bionic using the one click Droid 3 method, worked like a charm!

Installed Titanium Backup. Since I have purchased the pro version I went through freezing stuff - if I froze an app and the phone went wonky I unfroze and left it...

Using that method, here are the apps I've frozen with no issues:

Alarm & Timer 2.3.4
Android Live Wallpapers 2.3.4
Backup Assistant 2.3.4
Backup Assistant Client 1.0
Bookmarks Widget 2.3.4
[BOOKMARKS] Browser 2.3.4 -- this is the stock browser, I prefer Dolphin HD
Citrix Receiver 2.1.1059
City ID 1.1.7
Device Setup 1.0
Email 2.3.4
Email Authenticator 2.3.4 -- delete or freeze either of these and lose the stock email app
Files 2.3.4
GoToMeeting 1.0
Guided Tours 2.3.4
Help Center 2.3.4
Home screen tips 1.0
IM 3.0.4.6
IM Presence 2.3.4
Live Wallpaper Picker 2.3.4
Messaging 2.3.4
MOTOPRINT 2.0.0.38
News 2.3.4
Setup 2.3.4
Slacker 3.0.535
Social Location 2.0
Social Messaging 2.3.4
Social Networking 2.3.4
Social Status 2.3.4
Sticky note 2.3.4
Swype 3.21.87.27685
System Portal 2.3.4
Task Manager 10.0
Tasks 1.0
Toggle Widgets 2.3.4
Universal Inbox 2.3.4 -- there are 2, both can be safely deleted/frozen
V CAST Media Manager 4.4.1.0
V CAST Music 03.72.110
V CAST Tones 4.5.11
V CAST Videos 5.72.008
VideoSurf 1.0.10
VZ Navigator 7.2.0.353
Weather 2.3.4
Webtop 1.0
Webtop Connector 1.0 -- if you're going to use webtop obviously don't touch these!
World Clock 1.0

Much cleaner App Drawer! :cool:

CAP201109081601.png

Thank you very much for this list! :D just got the pro version of titanium, and froze almost all of these. Yay!

firemedic00

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
New to Android OS, so after reading advice I'm waiting for a restore option as well. I'm comfortable with electronics, build my own computers, comfortable doing a lot of stuff, but still learning Android.

Can anyone direct me towards a root Wiki/FAQ on Android. Still need some of the terminology and understanding of all of it before I delve in.

For example, SBF?
System Boot File

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Took the plunge... froze a ton of stuff. Very nice. Now.. What else should I try out now that I'm rooted? Any really cool apps or things that can be done now? I'm new to all this stuff :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge