Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Droid Bionic: Apps That Are Safe To Remove Once Rooted

ok well i have found out that the folder to my external sd card is actually called "sdcard-ext". I think the regular sdcard folder is internal memory? im not sure. Not sure if this is why ppls backsup have been disappearing

and some of the apps have different names.
    nfl mobile is called 'com.mobitv.client.nfl2010.apk'
    vzw navigator is called 'vzw_vnav_DROIDBIONIC_rel_PROD_signed.apk

can you reupload pictures. it would make this much easier for a root noob like myself.

ROM
    Bugless Beast

So I haven't gotten to the bottom of my battery issue woes yet, but according to Battery Stats Social Location is still using 96% of my battery despite me opening the application and turning it "off."

I noticed that one person froze that app using TB, is anybody else doing this or has anybody tried their luck at deleting it?

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
    So I haven't gotten to the bottom of my battery issue woes yet, but according to Battery Stats Social Location is still using 96% of my battery despite me opening the application and turning it "off."

I noticed that one person froze that app using TB, is anybody else doing this or has anybody tried their luck at deleting it?

Brandon
    I have it froze and haven't had any issues.

Ok, I'm simple.

I accidentally deleted the yahoocontacts.apk.

I followed your instructions as such.

1. Download bionic files and transferred the two yahoo files (apk and odex) to the system/apps

2. Set permissions. Clicked to install.

3. All the requested permissions in the install box had orange triangles, clicked install and I get the error message that the install failed.

Can you please explain how to reinstall the yahoocontacts.apk?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Download the attached file and follow the procedure I posted in post #1 for restoring an app. If that doesn't work, I have a much larger download you might need to use instead. Try this first though.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by yomito View Post
    Ok, I'm simple.

I accidentally deleted the yahoocontacts.apk.

I followed your instructions as such.

1. Download bionic files and transferred the two yahoo files (apk and odex) to the system/apps

2. Set permissions. Clicked to install.

3. All the requested permissions in the install box had orange triangles, clicked install and I get the error message that the install failed.

Can you please explain how to reinstall the yahoocontacts.apk?
    I'm in the same boat because I un-installed YahooContacts before I saw this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    Download the attached file and follow the procedure I posted in post #1 for restoring an app. If that doesn't work, I have a much larger download you might need to use instead. Try this first though.
    I tried this and it's not working. Do you know of any way to re-install the apk?

Corey,

Thank you for the response.

I followed the method in post #1 (tried it twice). Each time the result was the same. I restart the phone, and open yahoocontacts.apk in root explorer. The prompt to install appears, and I click install.

For a split second, the phone tries to do something, then I get the error message that the install has failed.

Might it be because it is trying to use files that are already in use?

What is your other method of possibly fixing this issue?

Thanks in advance

I'm using TB Pro to freeze my bloatware, but half the apps listed above are not listed in the TB freezable list, do some of these only show up the Boot Reader program?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akorcovelos View Post
    I'm using TB Pro to freeze my bloatware, but half the apps listed above are not listed in the TB freezable list, do some of these only show up the Boot Reader program?
    I'm not a freezer so I'm not sure. I only move the apk's.

Cory,

Thank you for your help. I resolved my issue by using the fastboot recovery.

Consider this a valuable lesson learned

Quote Originally Posted by yomito View Post
    Cory,

Thank you for your help. I resolved my issue by using the fastboot recovery.

Consider this a valuable lesson learned
    Would you mind sharing details on how you fixed it? I haven't been able to get mine working.

Is there anything that I could have froze that would disable MMS messages from being sent/received? They worked fine before, but I am not sure if its just a coincidence. I defrosted things that could possibly make sense, but nothing worked. MMS messages still won't send.

So I found what I need to get my phone fixed. I found this link: Droid Bionic Receives Fastboot Recovery Files - BriefMobile and I followed the instructions to flash the phone using RSD Lite (that way none of my data/apps got erased).

This did a fresh install of all of the original apps that came with the phone and left everything else untouched. The perfect solution if like me you just accidentally un-installed something you shouldn't have.

I have a quick question. If I freeze applications and then unroot will all those programs defrost since I no longer have root permissions? It seems like I cannot get picture messaging to work while I am rooted. Someone else said they unrooted and all as fine via google search.

If everything WILL defrost then I guess I will delete them permanently. Someone let me know. Thanks!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

What program are you using to freeze the programs? Just "defrost" them uninstall the program and unroot. Before you do, see if you messaging issue gets fixed after uninstalling the froster.

David, glad you figured it out. Been away for a few days so I didn't get to keep up with questions.

Cory, I was using Titanium Backup. Is this a known issue when rooting? I really want to keep the bloatware off the phone. If it works OK when I unroot would it be OK to try rooting it again?

I am in the process of unrooting as we speak.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Picture messaging STILL does not work. Any idea what could be wrong? When it asked me if I wanted to restore System files I said no because it said to do this if you are using a Droid 3 (figured same thing since this root is for Droid 3). When I selected yes I got an error about no backup found?

Found the answer! I found this over at Android Forums. So glad it worked. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do a full restore.

"I was unable to send picture messages after flashing Synergy ROM on an HTC Evo. I did a full wipe and after trying several different things, this was the only thing that worked.

Use root explorer, and make sure it is set to R/W mode (read/write). Navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db and delete that file, then restart your phone. After the restart, you should be able to send and receive MMS messages."

Unable to send picture texts (MMS). Culprit: Quick Settings App - Android Forums

I have tried everything I can think of short of the FastBoot restore to get the stock browser re-installed. I made a Titanium backup thinking that would help. I downloaded the file from the first page of this thread, moved it into system/app and changed permissions using Root Explorer, and rebooted with no results. This has worked for other apps for me, but I cannot get the browser to re-install. I moved and changed permissions for the odex file as well. I really want to get this installed to get my voice search working again and I don't want to have to start over with everything if I don't have to. Does anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by titot4u View Post
    Indeed... I installed the tranquility app tool from tbh and it removed 99% of the bloatware. This is still an awesome writeup by Cory and I definitely urge newbs to study the procedure as a good learning experience.

Nice job Cory and keep up the good work
    This may be a stupid question, but where can I find this "tranquility app tool from tbh"?

Thank you

Cory,

I followed your instructions and moved several of the listed safe files listed above from the Bionic's system/app folder to a folder system/app that I created on the sdcard. However, I still see Blockbuster listed in my apps. What did I do wrong?

Second can you verify that what someone previously posted does get rid of the V Cast Media Manager?

Thank you

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Question. Once the apps have been moved to the new folder on the sdcard, are they still running after the reboot? When you are refering to freezing do you mean moving to that folder or is there additional steps? Also there was mention of not deleting because of problems with updating because some files are not there that were there from the factory. With these files permissions changed and now in the sdcard folder do they have to be moved back inorder to update or are they recognized there. Last question will this same procedure work on my wifes Ally?

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Additional? Sorry I am new to this.

I read the entire thread and was wondering the answer to one question. When the apps are moved and/or frozen can you then unroot. Will they stay moved and/or frozen or will they go back to the way they came from the factory.

Thank you in advance

Realized today after moving several of the bloatware (safe) files over to my sd card that I when I went to dial it would take a couple minutes for the phone to actually begin to make the call, and that what I type in the preview box for texting or fb neve shows.

I followed the steps listed under Flash Droid Bionic FXZ file (with RSD Lite). However my issues continues. So I started to do the How To: Flash Droid Bionic with Fastboot however when I have my command prompt up and to the folder where I stored the files and I type: fastboot flash boot boot.img, I get the following 'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external comman operable program or batch file. Any suggestions?

I am now unrooted.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Good thread. Got my phone rooted and backed up with TB. Easy app to use. I decided to freeze apps rather than moving or renaming them with root explorer. Seemed to work well.

I used the list above as a guide for what to freeze and not to. Only difference is in TB the names of apps and programs are labled different then the file ext listed above so I wasnt sure on some. For example cant really tell which are the ONEX files associated with the named file.

All in all happy with it so far. Thanks for the info and help.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast