Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Carrier
    Evolution + leanKernel

Default Re: Droid Bionic: Apps That Are Safe To Remove Once Rooted

There any reason why Super Manager should be needing a Force Close when trying to grant it ROOT access? It's doing that every time I click on the checkmark, the popup says SUPER USER granted it access, then I have to force close it. Open it back up and the checkmark is gone, folder doesn't show r/w permission in the path either.

Thanks to all who have made my phone less bloated

I have a few issues though. I have moved VCAST_Tones and BookPhones, but they still remain in my app list.

Last, is it possible to remove the following:
    Vcast Media Manager,
    Guided Tours,
    Motoprint,
    My Verizon Mobile,
    Latitude,
    Social Location

Before statements are made about reading the first page, I have already done so and was just wondering if anyone has removed these without any problems.

My Bionic is used solely for work, so I don't need the above junk lol
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

If anyone has time to keep the 1st post updated, PM me. I'll change you to the OP so you can edit it. Thanks!

(FYI, I am new to using Android. I just bought the Droid Bionic yesterday, my first Droid phone.)

I DLed and installed Root Explorer, but I don't get the option to "Allow Superuser Access" which is shown in step 2 above. I believe that is why I don't get the "Mount R/W" option that is shown in step 5 above.

I'm a reasonably knowledgeable when it comes to windows and my computer, so it almost pains me to have to ask, but can someone please help this newb out?

Quote Originally Posted by Infinidean View Post
    (FYI, I am new to using Android. I just bought the Droid Bionic yesterday, my first Droid phone.)

I DLed and installed Root Explorer, but I don't get the option to "Allow Superuser Access" which is shown in step 2 above. I believe that is why I don't get the "Mount R/W" option that is shown in step 5 above.

I'm a reasonably knowledgeable when it comes to windows and my computer, so it almost pains me to have to ask, but can someone please help this newb out?
    Did you get the superuser app as well as root explorer?

Found a fix

If apps still apear in list after moving them to the sd card, you must uninstall the updates for such apps. It will say uninstall was unsuccessful, but after a reboot the apps will no longer appear

i deleted the yahoo contact before i checked this forum but my fone is working perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by RipTide View Post
    There any reason why Super Manager should be needing a Force Close when trying to grant it ROOT access? It's doing that every time I click on the checkmark, the popup says SUPER USER granted it access, then I have to force close it. Open it back up and the checkmark is gone, folder doesn't show r/w permission in the path either.
    I'm having the same problem. I've tried re-installing the app and re-doing the privileges but will still run into the force close and the checkmark gone. When I check superuser permissions however, Super Manager is on the list of allowed...weird

Edit: Just in case you're only trying to freeze some apps, you can also use Bloat Freezer on the Market, it's really simple and straightforward.

Anyone get brave enough and try to remove Guided Tours?

Also thanks for this thread, has helped a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Skoad View Post
    Anyone get brave enough and try to remove Guided Tours?

Also thanks for this thread, has helped a lot!
    Yup, no issues thus far.

What I am having issues with is the Online Gallery. Upon opening that screen, I get an error message stating "That action cannot be completed". Yet, I can see all of my online albums from Picassa, Facebook and YouTube. When opening up one of those albums, I can see the individual pics. But once in a while, I get a random "server error".

Anyone else having this problem?

Sent from my Droid Bionic

I followed these instructions and removed the bloatware I was able too... a few questions though.

I could not find VzWBAService.apk, VzWBAClient.apk and VzWBAClient.odex, sypebourbon.apk, zumocast.apk and vcast.apk... Why is this?

Also - can I safely remove the following? If so, what are the associated APK files?

Books
    Citrix (The apk in the OP thread didnt remove it)
    DLNA
    Guided Tours
    Help Center
    Mobile Hotspot
    Motoprint
    News
    Talk
    VCast Media Manager
    VCast Tones
    VZ Navigator

Question Re: Droid Bionic: Apps That Are Safe To Remove Once Rooted

Need some help please. Trying to get my phone ready so I can do the ota update. Previously, I accidently deleted HTML viewer on my rooted/stock Bionic. Per your instructions, I grabbed HTML viewer.apk and HTML viewer.odex and moved to system/app using root explorer. Mounted and set permissions (owner read write, group read, others read). When I try to install the apk, the package installer gives message "application not installed". Tried several times with same result. Have tried to read your instructions carefully. I do have "unknown sources" checked in my phone settings. Am I missing a step?

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Something ICSy on 902

Anyone know what the APK is for "Verizon Video" bloatware? It keeps showing up in market updates, I don't want it and want to either freeze or move it.

Carrier
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by LDubs View Post
    Anyone know what the APK is for "Verizon Video" bloatware? It keeps showing up in market updates, I don't want it and want to either freeze or move it.
    Not sure what the apk is.. but its weird you're getting it, I don't have it on Purity and it hasn't asked to download or update or anything as long as I've been on the ROM.

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Something ICSy on 902

Yeah me neither. Somethings fishy. I went all the way back to stock 886 to flash the new radio and kernel, then reflashed purity base and ic3br3ad tpak. Didn't do any restores from cwm nor tibu, but still had some vcast junk and this Verizon video thing pops still in my market.

Sent from my [P]URIFI3D Droid Bionic

Can anyone tell me just where the mobile hotpot apk is want to remove it I use another app instead
    and I don't want it on my phone

Default Moved apk's; Still showing up as running and icons

I successfully moved the apk's AND renamed them, but I noticed that the apps are still showing in my menu and gotomeeting is still showing as running. This is true even after restarting the phone. Any thoughts? I have a Droid Bionic running 2.3.4

Thanks,

Jared

Need, help...

Thank you... followed everything step by step.

Only issue I have is Citrix Reiceiver still showing in APPS. I moved the .apk to my bloat folder on my sdcard-ext. How can i get rid of it. I moved GoToMeeting too, no issues there.

Also where is Lets Golf 2? I want that gone.

Thanks

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Can we flash the AllBionic_APPS.zip through safestrap recovery if we need to put bloat back? or do we need to push them to system/app with root explorer?

*Edit: I ended up pushing them to system/apps with root explorer and changing permissions. It would be nice to no if this is flashable instead though.

I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded the Root Explorer app, and can see the bloatware, but when I click on one the only options I see are Install, View, and Cancel. I do not have an option to Move.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Dog View Post
    I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded the Root Explorer app, and can see the bloatware, but when I click on one the only options I see are Install, View, and Cancel. I do not have an option to Move.
    If it is in a zip file it needs to be extracted first in root explorer before you can move it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    If it is in a zip file it needs to be extracted first in root explorer before you can move it.

No, they are .apk files.

I am supposed to be doing this move on the Bionic itself, and not through the PC, right?

Specifically, I rooted the device using the MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe program. (I think it worked correctly).

Then, using the Root Explorer app, I browse to \system\app

Then I see a whole bunch of .apk and .odex files. I select one (The Blockbuster.apk for example) and it opens a dialog that says:

Package Installer
    This is a package installer. What action would you like to perform?
    Install - View - Cancel

Nowhere does it say Move. Am I even in the right place?

BTW. I am a total newbie at this.

OK.

So now I tried a different rooting tool. This time I got a whole bunch of errors along the lines of:

cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied

Help!

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Dog View Post
    OK.

So now I tried a different rooting tool. This time I got a whole bunch of errors along the lines of:

cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied

Help!
    Are you trying to freeze bloatware or add it back to your device? It's not good to totally remove bloat, its better to freeze it with an app like titanium backup or anttek app manager. If you open root explorer or titanium backup and superuser asks to "allow" and it let's you gain superuser access then you have root.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

If your are on build 893 or below then 43v3r root is probably a better method to root the bionic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast