Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Default If You Are Getting Errors, Try This Exact Sequence

First of all, like a complete *****, the first time I tried this I had a Droid X and a Bionic plugged in via USB at the same time...needless to say that confused Pete's tool and failed at Step 3.

Once I unplugged the X and replugged the Bionic, Pete's tool wasn't picking up my phone like many others have experienced. So here's what I did exactly to get it to work (who knows if every step is needed but for those crying out for help, here's my best effort):

Backdrop
    - I have a 64bit win 7 PC and a Verizon Bionic
    - I have a USB 3.0 port and I made sure NOT to use that port
    - I used the USB cable the Bionic came with (which if you're like me, with USB cables all over the office, it might not be too easy to find the original)

Detailed Procedures
    1. Download the zip file at the beginning of this thread...do it again if you've had errors just to be safe
    2. Create a folder on your desktop called "The Bills Rock" and extract the zip file into that folder
    3. Unplug your phone from the USB port on your computer if it's plugged in
    4. On your phone, go to Settings (you'll find it if you click the left most hard button on the bottom of the screen with 4 squares...to the left of the little house icon!), Applications -> Development and make sure all three choices are NOT CHECKED (USB Debugging, Stay Awake, Allow Mock Locations
    5. Press the Home key to go back to your phone's desktop
    6. On your PC, double click the file Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.2.0_64bit or 32bit for some of you
    7a. If you get a choice to Repair or Uninstall, then Uninstall the drivers.
    7b. If you Uninstalled, as soon as it's done, Re-Install the drivers.
    7c. If you did not get the choice in 7a, you were installing the drivers for the first time so just proceed with the install
    8. Plug the USB cable into your phone and into your PC in a USB 2.0 port
    9. At the top of your phone screen you'll see a little USB icon....drag that down showing your notifications and press the USB icon
    10. Press on Charge Only, click Okay (even if Charge is already selected, press it again)
    11. Next, repeat what you did in Step 4 (Settings, Applications, Development) except this time, you are TURNING ON USB DEBUGGING by checking the box next to it...make sure you leave the other two choices unchecked
    12. Again, press the home key to return to your phones home screen
    14. On your PC, navigate to your desktop, open the Bills Rock folder, and double click the file Pete's Motorola Root Tools
    15. Note, Bionic is not listed on the main page of the app - irrelevant, this approach works on virtually all Ginger Bread phones. Pete says so himself at: forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1240130. I'm sure it was an oversight that it wasn't listed.
    16. On the bottom left of Pete's Tool you should see a big button that says Root My Phone
    17. Click That Button and you should be on your way

At this point, your phone will be recognized in about 5 seconds. It will also reboot a few times. The process takes probably 7 minutes in total, so find something to do....don't touch the phone!!

While waiting for the rooting to complete, I killed time by composing this post...hopefully someone finds it useful!! And as always, if anything goes wrong, it's on you.
    Thanked by 4:
    Bionicals likes this.

Default Re: How to Root the Droid Bionic

Very straightforward, now I am rooted......time to go freeze some bloatware!! Thanks for this thread!!
    Thanked by:

Hi guys I need some help. I've made sure I have all the drivers, the phone is in debug, etc. etc. Pete's is still not able to find my phone. I think it's one of the drivers because when I go to device manager, under my phone it says "Motorola ADK Interface" with a yellow triangle and exclamation point. Apparently this specific driver did not install. I've tried looking around for the driver as well as other solutions but has anyone had this problem?

i finally rooted my bionic and soo far is working perfectly... i also bought TI and instead of freezing those stupid vz apps i click on uninstall and no problems... for the pc users make sure u download the 32 bit or 64 bit depending on which one u have.. i downloaded the wrong one at first and the peter software wasnt able to locate my phone...

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Help. I need to unroot. I need to go to Verizon because 3g is completely gone on my phone. pulling battery, doing airplane mode and pulling sim card helped for a while. It would come back but last night it stopped working and nothing works. Before going to the store I wanted to unroot. I ran the petes tools and selected unroot my phone. It gave me the warning about no guarantees. Then it askes if I want to restore system app files. If I select yes it errors and tells me my phone is not a droid 3. If i select no it begins the process anf finds my phone but that is where it stops. Doesnt do anything. Doesnt time out doesnt reboot my phone nothing. Am I missing something?? Any help would be apprectiated.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Nevermind I a moran. Duh! The screen was black and I didnt want to touch it but didnt see that allow/ deny selection for the superuser. Got it unrooted. Now hopefully I can get this 3g issue fixed. Like the phone but this is getting irritating. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mylasthope View Post
    Used Pete's Tools. Got the following error:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

The System cannot find the file specified.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
    at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
    at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
    at Petes_Motorola_Root_Tools.Main.TaskKill(String sCommand)
    at Petes_Motorola_Root_Tools.Main.RestartADB()
    at Petes_Motorola_Root_Tools.Main.btnRoot_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3623 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Pete's Motorola Root Tools
    Assembly Version: 1.6.25311.379
    Win32 Version: 1.06.25311.379
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Soon/Desktop/32bitBionicRoot/Pete's%20Motorola%20Root%20Tools.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3623 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3624 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box."
    I had the same problem at first. Then I got off my old XP netbook, and tried it on my Win7 machine and it worked.
    beh

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

I used the one click root software and the program did its thing successfully but afterwards, with nothing removed and only a few bloatware programs frozen, some programs like Calendar simply refused to run and instead gave error messages of core operating files stopping unexpectedly.

Used the one step to unroot. The software did its thing perfectly and now I am back to original and everything works properly.

I believe I will wait for an updated root software release.

ROM
    Stock .905

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I had the same problem at first. Then I got off my old XP netbook, and tried it on my Win7 machine and it worked.
    So is Win 7 recommended when rooting a bionic? I have 32bit WinXP on my desktop and 64bit Win 7 on my wife's laptop. Should a use the laptop, does it matter?

thanks every one for all the help loving the root

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

FYI for those having trouble rooting.. I believe the software located in this package works BETTER than Pete's:
    R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki

Mod's I think it would behoove everyone to place this option in the OP. This works about 10x faster than Pete's Tools and doesn't need to reboot your phone ONCE throughout the process. Just plug in, go, and in about 30 seconds you have a fully rooted Bionic, plus the ForeverRoot script in place just in case you need it

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    FYI for those having trouble rooting.. I believe the software located in this package works BETTER than Pete's:

Mod's I think it would behoove everyone to place this option in the OP. This works about 10x faster than Pete's Tools and doesn't need to reboot your phone ONCE throughout the process. Just plug in, go, and in about 30 seconds you have a fully rooted Bionic, plus the ForeverRoot script in place just in case you need it

well I may finally take the plunge here into rooting my phone (first time, go easy on me)... one more question - using this script and others like ROM and such, does the device still have to be in USB debugging mode before plugging into computer?

Thanks!
    My Incredible is no longer incredible... Hellooooooo Bionic!

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by LDubs View Post
    ...does the device still have to be in USB debugging mode before plugging into computer?

Thanks!
    Yessir

And after you plug in make sure you select Charge Only mode on the phone's USB options.

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

Yessir

And after you plug in make sure you select Charge Only mode on the phone's USB options.
    Sweet. I'm almost ready... lol... Thanks!

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Sweet. I'm almost ready... lol... Thanks!
    Cool.. was just thinking, the rooting part of the software in the link I posted will work fantastic, but don't forget you still need to download the Motorola End User driver stuff that is mentioned in the OP. Use their link if those drivers are indeed included in the package now. Would still highly recommend using the link I gave to root, when you're up to that. You'll be shocked how quick and easy it is... that's what she said.

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

Cool.. was just thinking, the rooting part of the software in the link I posted will work fantastic, but don't forget you still need to download the Motorola End User driver stuff that is mentioned in the OP. Use their link if those drivers are indeed included in the package now. Would still highly recommend using the link I gave to root, when you're up to that. You'll be shocked how quick and easy it is... that's what she said.
    Lol excellent. Well I'm going to do this on my MacBook BC don't want to use company laptop for these things....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

Lol excellent. Well I'm going to do this on my MacBook BC don't want to use company laptop for these things....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    ok it worked like a charm on my Mac, didn't need to download any drivers, it's all self-contained within the script. I rooted and applied the Forever Root hack.

One thing though, I only see 2 lines at the bottom of mount_ext3.sh, I seem to be missing the last one. I added the last line in. Weird.

Hi. First time user of an Android/DROID user. Finally im willing to root my Bionic and was wondering if i needed to use the one click method in order to use the 4ever root or can i bypass the one click and just 4ever root? Hope that makes sense. I have already purchased the Root Explorer off the market just in case.

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

It's 2 different things - 1 is rooting your phone and the other is editing a file that will allow you to keep rooted if an OTA (over the air) update is pushed to your phone - these updates sometimes will prevent your phone from being rooted.

Use this, you can do both in one step, it's easy peasy lemon squeezy - and I was real nervous about doing it... first time I've rooted a phone.

2defmouze likes this.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

It's 2 different things - 1 is rooting your phone and the other is editing a file that will allow you to keep rooted if an OTA (over the air) update is pushed to your phone - these updates sometimes will prevent your phone from being rooted.

Use this, you can do both in one step, it's easy peasy lemon squeezy - and I was real nervous about doing it... first time I've rooted a phone.

The student...has become.... the MASTER

lol

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

The student...has become.... the MASTER

lol
    Thanks bro.. as you said before, just trying to pay it forward....I'm almost ready to install a custom ROM too...just need a block of quiet time. perhaps, this afternoon....

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Thanks bro.. as you said before, just trying to pay it forward....I'm almost ready to install a custom ROM too...just need a block of quiet time. perhaps, this afternoon....
    Lol nice... yeah I had some time yesterday.. wound up going from Th3ory's Shift3r, to Purity.. couldn't get something to work, so went back to Shift3r.. then found out from everyone in that forum how to get it working, so went back to Purity again last night. Lots of wiping and flashing as you can imagine... it becomes an addiction, I'm a crack flasher for sure.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I just used this root method, and installed ClockworkMod.. gave it SuperUser permissions.. and the phone won't backup ROM, or boot into manual recovery.

Ideas?

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

You can't get into CWR through ROM Manager, you need to run it through Bionic Bootstrapper. Download in the market or apk is floating around on rootzwiki.

Thank you very much for this!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast