How to Root the Droid Bionic

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
FYI for those having trouble rooting.. I believe the software located in this package works BETTER than Pete's:
R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki

Mod's I think it would behoove everyone to place this option in the OP. This works about 10x faster than Pete's Tools and doesn't need to reboot your phone ONCE throughout the process. Just plug in, go, and in about 30 seconds you have a fully rooted Bionic, plus the ForeverRoot script in place just in case you need it :)

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
FYI for those having trouble rooting.. I believe the software located in this package works BETTER than Pete's:

Mod's I think it would behoove everyone to place this option in the OP. This works about 10x faster than Pete's Tools and doesn't need to reboot your phone ONCE throughout the process. Just plug in, go, and in about 30 seconds you have a fully rooted Bionic, plus the ForeverRoot script in place just in case you need it :)

well I may finally take the plunge here into rooting my phone (first time, go easy on me)... one more question - using this script and others like ROM and such, does the device still have to be in USB debugging mode before plugging into computer?

Thanks!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Sweet. I'm almost ready... lol... Thanks!

Cool.. was just thinking, the rooting part of the software in the link I posted will work fantastic, but don't forget you still need to download the Motorola End User driver stuff that is mentioned in the OP. Use their link if those drivers are indeed included in the package now. Would still highly recommend using the link I gave to root, when you're up to that. You'll be shocked how quick and easy it is... that's what she said.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Cool.. was just thinking, the rooting part of the software in the link I posted will work fantastic, but don't forget you still need to download the Motorola End User driver stuff that is mentioned in the OP. Use their link if those drivers are indeed included in the package now. Would still highly recommend using the link I gave to root, when you're up to that. You'll be shocked how quick and easy it is... that's what she said.

Lol excellent. Well I'm going to do this on my MacBook BC don't want to use company laptop for these things....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Lol excellent. Well I'm going to do this on my MacBook BC don't want to use company laptop for these things....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ok it worked like a charm on my Mac, didn't need to download any drivers, it's all self-contained within the script. I rooted and applied the Forever Root hack.

One thing though, I only see 2 lines at the bottom of mount_ext3.sh, I seem to be missing the last one. I added the last line in. Weird.

Last edited:

sr.torres22

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi. First time user of an Android/DROID user. Finally im willing to root my Bionic and was wondering if i needed to use the one click method in order to use the 4ever root or can i bypass the one click and just 4ever root? Hope that makes sense. I have already purchased the Root Explorer off the market just in case.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It's 2 different things - 1 is rooting your phone and the other is editing a file that will allow you to keep rooted if an OTA (over the air) update is pushed to your phone - these updates sometimes will prevent your phone from being rooted.

Use this, you can do both in one step, it's easy peasy lemon squeezy - and I was real nervous about doing it... first time I've rooted a phone.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It's 2 different things - 1 is rooting your phone and the other is editing a file that will allow you to keep rooted if an OTA (over the air) update is pushed to your phone - these updates sometimes will prevent your phone from being rooted.

Use this, you can do both in one step, it's easy peasy lemon squeezy - and I was real nervous about doing it... first time I've rooted a phone.

The student...has become.... the MASTER

lol ;)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
:D Thanks bro.. as you said before, just trying to pay it forward....I'm almost ready to install a custom ROM too...just need a block of quiet time. perhaps, this afternoon....

Lol nice... yeah I had some time yesterday.. wound up going from Th3ory's Shift3r, to Purity.. couldn't get something to work, so went back to Shift3r.. then found out from everyone in that forum how to get it working, so went back to Purity again last night. Lots of wiping and flashing as you can imagine... it becomes an addiction, I'm a crack flasher for sure.

dbornack

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I just used this root method, and installed ClockworkMod.. gave it SuperUser permissions.. and the phone won't backup ROM, or boot into manual recovery.

Ideas?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You can't get into CWR through ROM Manager, you need to run it through Bionic Bootstrapper. Download in the market or apk is floating around on rootzwiki.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I would like to have the necessary files and procedure to "unroot" before I root my Bionic. Also, will battery life improve if after root I delete some apps that have services?

DaleGriggs

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted and had frozen some apps. The update downloaded but it failed. Now, I have to find out what apps were frozen because the developer of the app that froze them skipped town so I am not sure what apps were frozen. I may have to do a factory reset to get the update to work.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Rooting the Droid Bionic with 32-bit versions of Windows Desktop or Windows 2003 server
  1. If your Bionic is plugged into your PC unplug it now.
  2. Press the menu capacitive button then select settings > applications > development > check USB debugging > then click Ok.
  3. Download & extract the contents of the attached 32bitBionicRoot.zip to your desktop.
  4. Double click Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.2.0_32bit.msi to install the Motorola phone drivers.
  5. Once installed plug your Bionic into your computer.
  6. Select the option to Charge Only.
  7. Double click MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe to launch the root app.
  8. Follow the steps in the command window to root.

Rooting the Droid Bionic with 64-bit versions of Windows Desktop or Windows 2003 server
  1. If your Bionic is plugged into your PC unplug it now.
  2. Press the menu capacitive button then select settings > applications > development > check USB debugging > then click Ok.
  3. Download & extract the contents of the attached 64bitBionicRoot.zip to your desktop.
  4. Double click Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.2.0_64bit.msi to install the Motorola phone drivers.
  5. Once installed plug your Bionic into your computer.
  6. Select the option to Charge Only.
  7. Double click MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe to launch the root app.
  8. Follow the steps in the command window to root.

MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe can also be used to unroot the Bionic.

Credits:
  • Pete aka psouza4 at XDA for writing the One Click program used in this procedure. The attached zip includes version 1.06 fo this program.
  • Dan Rosenburg aka djrbliss at XDA for his discovery of the vulnerability and for sharing the exploit process used in the One Click Root the Pete developed. You can learn more about his work here.

Will this work now with the new OTA installed? Thannks