How to Root the Droid Bionic

kdkarr

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Lovely. So no root for JB and from what I've read it sounds like we can't go back to ICS. Hum...How frustrating. You don't know how much I welcome corrections if I'm wrong. :)

hoobascank

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
As I posted in another Bionic thread, there is a root exploit for JB. HOWEVER, you have to use Ubuntu 32bit to do it. It's not all that complicated really. Download Oracles VM VirtualBox (it's free and open source) Link: Oracle VM VirtualBox. Install that and create a new machine. You'll want to snag the Ubuntu 32bit Live image as well, link: Download Ubuntu Desktop .. note, this is an ISO image, you'll need appropriate software to mount an ISO to a virtual drive, I would suggest UltraISO link: Ultraiso Download Page (this is a paid app, but for the purpose of rooting, you can install and use). I would assume that you've already downloaded the Motorola drivers for Windows, seeing that most of us didn't wait for the OTA and did a manual install. If you didn't, you can snag those here, link: Motorola Windows Drivers. (for those Mac users, link: Motorola Mac drivers)

Ok, so you've got all the downloads you need now.. everything is installed. Now you want to head over to droidrzr.com and follow the instructions in this thread: [ROOT] Motoshare 2: Old Bug, New Exploit -- it is very important that you follow the instructions, failure to do so will result in an unsucessful attempt to root. No, you will not brick your phone, well at least I can't see how you would using this method.. you're not doing anything that would cause the phone to brick. So worst case, it would just fail to root. However, a disclaimer must be made, cause there are people that don't read, don't follow instructions very well either; I am not responsible for your device. I am not responsible for your inability to read and follow instructions correctly. If you fail to root or damage your phone in some mysterious manner, you are to blame. Not I, not the authors of posts that clearly give instruction, not Dan who wrote the exploit, nor anyone that has tested the exploit to find it working. Use are your own risk.

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Easiest way is to burn the iso onto a DVD using windows image burner or I've used roxio. Load ubantu, open a terminal and enter the commands and then hook the phone into the PC and ur done. You got root!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
This might be a stupid question but i lost root with the JB update also so i used ubunto and gained root back. My Bionic is rooted and i'm on JB 4.1.2. But when i gained root back the SU application isn't the one from ChainsDD like before. I got the one from ClockworkMod. The ClockworkMod SU app has more functionality and i like it so far but my question is that it's loaded as a user app and not a system app. Does that matter or should i shoot it into the system? I'm sorry if this was answered already but after going through so many threads where a lot of people are asking the same questions i thought i'd ask.

veevans01

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Easiest way is to burn the iso onto a DVD using windows image burner or I've used roxio. Load ubantu, open a terminal and enter the commands and then hook the phone into the PC and ur done. You got root!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
I have Nero burning rom 10. It won't work with my DVD rw disc. I guess I need to use cd/rw disc in order for it to work with Nero?

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have Nero burning rom 10. It won't work with my DVD rw disc. I guess I need to use cd/rw disc in order for it to work with Nero?

I'm not sure if you can burn an iso on to CD. I've never tried it. Give it a try and see what happens. And also if you do a search for freeware I'm sure you can find another program to burn on to DVD.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AC Forums mobile app

davidj411

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
4.1.2 is the version of OS of my bionic.
you mean the OneClick is no longer going to work ('"from 2011" ?) b/c the version of my phone is too new?
Does that mean i should update to an older OS where oneclick will work or does the locked bootloader prevent that too?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
4.1.2 is the version of OS of my bionic.
you mean the OneClick is no longer going to work ('"from 2011" ?) b/c the version of my phone is too new?
Does that mean i should update to an older OS where oneclick will work or does the locked bootloader prevent that too?

Yes, and no, and no. The oneclick will definitely not work on jellybean, it was created for ICS or maybe even gingerbread. You cannot downgrade your OS, security set into the OS will not allow it.
Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) - xda-developers This method works nicely.

RobertDaMan

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: If You Are Getting Errors, Try This Exact Sequence

Hey so i did EXACTLy what you said and everything worked perfectly except for the fact that when it says root your phone..i clicked that and it says searching for your phone and it never finds it...what am i doing wrong?

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: If You Are Getting Errors, Try This Exact Sequence

Hey so i did EXACTLy what you said and everything worked perfectly except for the fact that when it says root your phone..i clicked that and it says searching for your phone and it never finds it...what am i doing wrong?

There's an easier way to root the Droid Bionic now and it works with Jellybean. It's a one click method. Download Vroot and install on a windows computer. Plug your Bionic in and click root, that's it. I didn't like the su it came with so i installed su from Chainfire and deleted the one that came with the tool. Here's the link for Vroot

Get vroot_English version_Oneclick root tool.