Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is SetCPU locking up your Bionic?

I rooted my Bionic this morning, and installed SetCPU on it. The idea was that I wanted to under-clock the processor when the screen was off to help preserve battery life. The problem now is that as soon as SetCPU runs on boot-up the phone locks up and i have to do a battery pull. I fixed the problem by uninstalling the app really quickly before it started.

Has anyone else tried SetCPU on their Bionic? I am really hoping to be able to increase teh battery life by shutting things off (4G) or slowing things down (CPU) while the screen is turned off.

Thanks!
    Rhuarc

ROM
    Stock Bionic, UD3.3.1 OG

Pretty sure you need access to the kernel, which we don't have, to be able to do anything with clock speed

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Default Re: Is SetCPU locking up your Bionic?

Yup, I underclocked like you, and when the screen was turned off (when I had it set to underclock), it wouldn't come back on. Battery Pulled, and Reboot, Uninstalled.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hmm, I don't know, but I seem to have gotten it working. It seems that some of the profiles that SetCPU tries to use don't work properly. I have no idea if it is correctly under clocking, but using the on-demand profile I have it under clocking to 300 when the screen is off. not sure if it is actually making much of a difference.

Thats exactly how I had it, how far under did you go?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I took it to 300. Which profile were you using? The moto profiles seemed to not work. I also had it set to start on boot when it was locking up. I have it set to not start on boot now as well.

Just re-installed. I was looking at overclock when the screen wasn't off, and changed it to ondemand, but on my profiles wer mothotplug. Seems alright now.

I verified it is working with Benchmark setting the main screen at 800 rather than 1k, benchmarked both ways and got the results as expected... All seems well now. Looking for every bit to help onthe battery, as I don't seem to have one of the "good" batteries some other people have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhuarc View Post
    I rooted my Bionic this morning, and installed SetCPU on it. The idea was that I wanted to under-clock the processor when the screen was off to help preserve battery life. The problem now is that as soon as SetCPU runs on boot-up the phone locks up and i have to do a battery pull. I fixed the problem by uninstalling the app really quickly before it started.

Has anyone else tried SetCPU on their Bionic? I am really hoping to be able to increase teh battery life by shutting things off (4G) or slowing things down (CPU) while the screen is turned off.

Thanks!
    Rhuarc
    Never had luck with set cpu. It did more harm than good IMO. I had it installed on my fascinate and charge and both phones didn't respond well. Maybe it was a samsung thing...lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SetCPU works on this phone? For some reason, I thought it was a Droid X only thing.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Yeah i had the same happen to me when i put the cpu down to 300 mhz for min and max. also when i overclocked it i noticed with android overclock i can only get 1 ghz at best. anybody know how to bypass this so we can go up to to higher clcoks like 1.2 or 1.4. do they have the droid bionic bootstrap yet? is it coming out? Anyways give me a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by KTamez View Post
    Just re-installed. I was looking at overclock when the screen wasn't off, and changed it to ondemand, but on my profiles wer mothotplug. Seems alright now.
    Sorry for the stupidity, but how are you getting to this "profile" (mothotplug) and is there one that did NOT work, and now you chose one that does work. Please elaborate.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

I got it working using the on demand setting, but I notice some stuttering when scrolling between my home screens. Does anyone else see this?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I got it working using the on demand setting, but I notice some stuttering when scrolling between my home screens. Does anyone else see this?
    Nope, no issues at all here. All I really have it doing is humming at 300mhz, ondemand, with screen off (to try and save power). Can't overclock yet without more Develeopment work AFAIK.

Soounds like you figured out my post you quoted?

Nope, no issues at all here. All I really have it doing is humming at 300mhz, ondemand, with screen off (to try and save power). Can't overclock yet without more Develeopment work AFAIK.

Soounds like you figured out my post you quoted?
    I also have 300 for screen off and added 300 for over 122 degrees and 600 for under 30% battery. I guess I can try killing the other two parameters and see if it works well with the screen off only profile.

You are seeing smooth scrolling and no lockups with this profile, yes?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Nope..still get a hesitation/stutter before moving from one home screen to the next. If you go to Advanced, what are your settings there? Mine are:

Also, if you hit the menu key, then go to Device Selection (this happened automatically when you first started SetCPU up) Did you choose Autodetect Speeds or select something with Show Other Frequency Sets?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

No problems. I had one random reboot a couple days ago with the screen off, noticesd with the phone sitting on my desk it was booting up (animation etc), but thats the only hiccup I've had in the nearly a week its been setup.

No problems. I had one random reboot a couple days ago with the screen off, noticesd with the phone sitting on my desk it was booting up (animation etc), but thats the only hiccup I've had in the nearly a week its been setup.
    Are your advanced settings the same as mine?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Nope..still get a hesitation/stutter before moving from one home screen to the next. If you go to Advanced, what are your settings there? Mine are:

Also, if you hit the menu key, then go to Device Selection (this happened automatically when you first started SetCPU up) Did you choose Autodetect Speeds or select something with Show Other Frequency Sets?
    All the Same.

I don't know what you have all running, how many apps you have on your screens etc, but I have almost pure apps on every screen and only a couple widgets running if that makes any difference.

Heres what I have,

Setup initiallly with autodetect

Main:Max 1k
    Min 300
    Scaling ondemand

Profiles:
    Enabled - Notifications NOT Checked
    In Call
    600 Max
    Priority 50
    ondemand

Screen Off
    300 Max
    Priority 50
    ondemand

Advanced(Factory Settings, as you posted above)

Mine is set up the same as yours. I am running Launcher Pro. Maybe it doesn't like that.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Sense 3.0

I am having the same issues with Launcher Pro as well. It locked all the time with SetCPU. It still locks occasionally without SetCPU with LP. I also have serious wait time when the phone boots up and the screen goes black and takes about 30 seconds for the home screen to come up. I may try going back to Gingerblur launcher and see if that clears it up.

SetCPU was only controlling 1 of the Core. Killing my battery faster and making my Bionic Laggy-

Uninstalled and now

How can you tell that it only controlled one of the cores? I'm not not doubting, just curious as to you discovered this.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!