Accidentally deleted all apps in system/app folder

Simulachra

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I intended to delete the apps in a folder on my SD card, but alas! Just got the BIONIC 2 days ago, so I haven't backed anything up. I only rooted the phone. Now, when I try to turn it on it doesn't go passed the "droid" logo. Obviously I need to take it to verizon, but what should I say when they asked me what happened?

lehthanis

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Ouch, Thats why I call my bloatware storage folder on my sd card something besides /system/app...I call id /sdcard-ext/bloatlocker.

You could try the rescue tips P3Droid tweeted last night...or contact him directly.
Twitter

lehthanis

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Also...PLEASE post here if his trick worked and you might want to tweet him to let him know. He's making a LOT of headway on tackling this thing.

derichio02

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Might waNT to try the fastboot recovery (sbf) that was released today. That might be you're best bet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
The best thing to tell Verizon is "I broke my warranty and screwed up my phone so now I need to pay full retail for a new one"
Seriously, if you're gonna root your phone, you need to take responsibility for your actions.
This is the kind of thing that makes the whole Android community look bad and is part of the reason why manufacturers and carriers insist on locking bootloaders so they don't have to deal with this.
I hope you can figure out how to fix it, but if not you really need to be responsible for what you did.

Reactions: scottbeamer

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
I intended to delete the apps in a folder on my SD card, but alas! Just got the BIONIC 2 days ago, so I haven't backed anything up. I only rooted the phone. Now, when I try to turn it on it doesn't go passed the "droid" logo. Obviously I need to take it to verizon, but what should I say when they asked me what happened?

/facepalm

Yeah, that really sucks. I agree with others, try out the methods posted and definately let us know how it works out for you.
NOTE TO EVERYONE: BE CAREFUL!!!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
There are a TON of FAQ's and information on this forum and the whole of AC about rooting. Everything tells you to read up on it first, always backup, know what you're doing.. etc....

Bionic is my first android phone.. I spent the months leading up to it reading up in case I decided to root. If I had any questions, I asked in the forums and got very helpful responses. Now I'm rooted, safely froze all the bloatware, and my phone works awesomely. Why is this such a hard model for some people to follow?

EDIT: To OP... not trying to be rude, just making a point. I do hope you're able to fix it with the processes everyone is suggesting, and do keep us updated on your results. Good luck!

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Please try to exhaust all possible avenues before taking it back to Verizon. There are very knowledgeable members here that are willing to help. It is very important to know the potential benefits and consequences of rooting prior to attempting. You should always read, then read again, re-read, then read some more, and finally read again.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
FXZ is available now which is a replacement for SFB. Use it to get the phone back to stock. No need to take a phone back for the irresponsibility of deleting system apps.

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The best thing to tell Verizon is "I broke my warranty and screwed up my phone so now I need to pay full retail for a new one"
Seriously, if you're gonna root your phone, you need to take responsibility for your actions.
This is the kind of thing that makes the whole Android community look bad and is part of the reason why manufacturers and carriers insist on locking bootloaders so they don't have to deal with this.
I hope you can figure out how to fix it, but if not you really need to be responsible for what you did.

u make it sound like the guy robbed a bank. i guess making a mistake while rooting your phone is a sin against the ten commandments. if your not part of the solution your part of the problem, no one wants to hear your dont be a bad boy speech, espicially the op..

any way op this is the link for the fxz Droid Bionic Receives Fastboot Recovery Files - BriefMobile

try that before you go back to vzw and get shafted. Like others have said that should be your last resort

Reactions: tommymac1039

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
u make it sound like the guy robbed a bank. i guess making a mistake while rooting your phone is a sin against the ten commandments. if your not part of the solution your part of the problem, no one wants to hear your dont be a bad boy speech, espicially the op..

any way op this is the link for the fxz Droid Bionic Receives Fastboot Recovery Files - BriefMobile

try that before you go back to vzw and get shafted. Like others have said that should be your last resort

No, I'm making it sound like if you're going to take a risk, be prepared to take responsibility. Everyone makes mistakes but that doesn't make it ok to try and cover it up. Be responsible is all I'm saying. You encouraging people to not be responsible is what's part of the problem.

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
cover it up? its his personal phone he can throw it out the window and smash it and do whatever he wants to do... if i delete all the system files on my laptop and dont wanna take it back to best buy to have them fix what i broke, and i just do a full system restore am i covering it up or just fixing my personal laptop and saving money? idk but you but when i break something that i own i first try to fix it myself but thats just me, maybe you have more money than i do

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
brain fart how do i make a backup? lol

depends on what type of backup your trying to make. if you just wanna back up the apps and system settings then use titanium back up, but you have to be rooted. if there was a custom recovery you could do a nandroid but thats not available yet. as far as i know you cant make a backup unless rooted. but rooting wont make you lose any of your settings unless you delete you system app folder like some people do . cough..op...cough lol but if your trying to back up a phone stuck in boot loop im pretty sure you cant unless the fxz does it for you. could be wrong tho

Last edited:

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
cover it up? its his personal phone he can throw it out the window and smash it and do whatever he wants to do... if i delete all the system files on my laptop and dont wanna take it back to best buy to have them fix what i broke, and i just do a full system restore am i covering it up or just fixing my personal laptop and saving money? idk but you but when i break something that i own i first try to fix it myself but thats just me, maybe you have more money than i do

So are you trying to argue with me? Because you're agreeing with me. If you break your stuff you seem to be willing to take responsibility for it. That's what I'm saying to do. I've read at least half a dozen people in different forums who have screwed up their Bionic by rooting when they didn't know what they were doing and they covered it up, took it back to Verizon and got a new phone. I'm saying that's wrong. you're saying you don't do that, but somehow you're trying to argue with me. I'm not sure what your point is.

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Either way it doesn't matter at this point. Hopefully the OP can fix his phone. If anything, I am sure VZW can fix the phone whether or not they charge the OP retail for a new one. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Simulachra

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I ended up just taking back to verizon since I bought it 2 days ago. Told them i lost it at school, found it in the lost and found, and it wouldn't boot up. The sales rep knew what that was code for. Either way, he gave me a new phone and i was out in 15 minutes, and paid nothing.

Simulachra

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I rooted it again but installed TB pro and backed it up. I now have dolphin, BW, K-9, handcent,and swiftkey. i alse noticed that i save a lot of battery life by keeping it on 3g. I turn on 4g when I'm away from WiFi.