Hybrid Bionic

Vato805

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to any of my electronics and anything else customizable i like to keep them "hybrid"
In other worlds best of both worlds!
i decided to keep blur becuase i love it, but wanted to mess with the insides
I myself was an android/rooting noob not long ago
Decided to put up a list of changes i made to Optimize my Droid Bionic in hopes that it may help at least one person in jumping in to root or what to change after one has rooted.
Now while there are infinite number of reasons why one would choose to root my choice and the choice of most who who read these suggestions of mine are to make the fone perform better ie. Better battery life, smoother operation etc.

I got my droid 5 days ago, it was GREAT out of the box and i LOVED it.
The downside was the way i was using it the battery wasnt lasting very long which i believe is how an average user would use the bionic, not being an app nazi and shutting everything down leaving the bionic bare bones... because then the purpose of a 4g Android smartphone is defeated!!!

my battery was lasting me 6.5 hours with facebook on push or automatic data fetch, gmail on push, talking and texting,netflix and web browsing.
after 3 days of having it stock i decided to root

well i have improved my battery life to 13 hours with heavier use, just by some simple changes
Here is the List:
1st the basic changes in
-minimized number of open widgets to what i actually use daily in my case favorites,bluetooth wifi toggles, google voice search,tasks, weather. and what i use but not often just made shortcuts.
-i leave my wifi on at all times(will explain why later)
-Have 4g turned off to save battery i rarely need the speed, and when i do its easy to turn back on
-battery mode is on performance(other app will manage this better)
-data saver is off
-data is enabled all my social applications are set to push
-also saved my ringtones and wallpaper onto the fone instead of SD so when it reads them it doesnt waste battery
-Task Manager>auto-end list:
market,maps,all games(in my case angry birds,gun bros etc) car dock,books,music,slacker,vz navigator

as you see i am not giving up ANY performance to make my battery last longer. now on to the 2nd part this is where beeing rooted comes into play...all these were done being rooted
-install adfree(less work in the web)
-Installed dolphin HD to replace default browser works smoother/faster and does not run in the background like most stock apps... which i froze (will explain later)
-Install SetCpu this is what SAVES your battery the most!!! this is what manages the way your fone uses your battery here or my settings and i notice no drop in performance or lag:
Main: 1000 max 300min, Scaling ondemand, set on boot checked
Profiles: Enabled
and i have a charging profile and a screen off profile
CHARGING:600max 300min(charges faster and stays cooler)
SCREEN OFF: 600max 300min(when im done with my fone i always click the screen off so my fone goes into this idle mode which shuts down wifi so that battery isnt being used thats why i always keep it on)
i didnt touch any settings under advanced.
-installed swiftkey x to replace the original keyboard(dont need to be rooted for this one)
-installed vignette again you dont need to be rooted for this but it doesnt keep running in the background like the stock camera app
-finally the 2nd most important tool Titanium Backup Pro
this baby lets you freeze/remove ALL Bloat ware stuff that runs in the background when you dont use half or all of it...its killing your speed and battery.
i however chose not to delete any of it just freeze it to keep it simpler and hassle free.
what i froze:
amazon kindle
blockbuster
[bookmarks] Browser 2.3.4
citrix
dlna
gotometting
IM 3.0.4.6
slacker
social location
social networking
vcast media manager
vcast music
vcast tones
vcast video
vz nzvigator

well that sums it up i might of missed a thing or 2.

if there is anything i missed or dont know about clue me in so i can save more battery!!!

***UPDATE***
today was my 1st official day of regular use with all the mods.
i am on the first charge, 15 hours in and at 30%
abou to go to bed so im giving in and pluggin it back up.
i had facebook, gmail on push, alot of texting and mms, netflix for 20min, bout 4 hd youtube videos a few calls

Last edited:
Reactions: TerrorTodd

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Sound exactly like what I want to do but I have a few questions.

1) What did you use to root your phone and can you provide a quick summary of how you rooted.

2) Will you still be able to get Moto/Verizon updates in the future. My main concern here is that when in a 4G area (for me usually at work inside a building) I will constantly lose my data connection. I was told by Verizon and Motorola that they are aware of this problem and plan on coming out with an update to fix sometime in November.

3) Can you unroot if you have to return the phone for any reason.

Vato805

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sound exactly like what I want to do but I have a few questions.

1) What did you use to root your phone and can you provide a quick summary of how you rooted.

2) Will you still be able to get Moto/Verizon updates in the future. My main concern here is that when in a 4G area (for me usually at work inside a building) I will constantly lose my data connection. I was told by Verizon and Motorola that they are aware of this problem and plan on coming out with an update to fix sometime in November.

3) Can you unroot if you have to return the phone for any reason.

1) i Used Cory Streater guide posted and stickied at the top of this page! it really is very super simple!
i just followed it and used those tools!

2)Yes you will be able to get updates or else i would of never rooted becuase of the next android version coming very soon. all you have to do is Un-freeze the bloat ware and use titanium backup pro to freeze it and unfreeze it all you do is click to freeze it and it stays highlighted so you can identify it very easy.

3)yes the program in Cory Streater thread gives you the option to Unroot! all it is, is moving files around you dont "Hard change" anything

3)

Eric Hoel

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have system 6.7.246 on my Bionic. I just got the phone. My wife did not like it because of the low battery life. I want to root it but I am having mad problems with the adb.exe function missing. I have tried Corey's download several times, but have no adb in my device manager on the PC. I have spent the better part of a day on this and I am SUPER frustrated. Any advice anyone? I am not a computer savy person. I need baby steps. Thanks for any help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12