need some clarification...ROMs vs Launchers

akorcovelos

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So, this is my first Android device and I'm stoked to customize this thing, it just seems I get more confused the more I read here.

I have already rooted using one click, then forever root, and have installed Go Launcher and changed themes, and keyboards, and widgets, etc. as well as installing TBPro (backed up to SD_ext), bootstrap, Root explorer, cheesecake (haven't done any OTA yet), and ROM manager.

I have not installed any ROMs yet, and I'm not really sure what the difference is between the ROMs and the Themes?

What do I get with a ROM like Th3ory or Purified?

Is there one thread that covers instaling ROMs, and resorting data, and screen setups from backups?

I feel kind of lost...

Even typing this out has confused me more, lol.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
A number of threads here go into great detail about the ROM flashing process, as well as the OTA process. A launcher will give you different homescreen and app drawer options but that's about it, whereas a ROM is a completely customized operating system. Th3ory's Shift3r ROM leaves in all of the stock motoblur stuff on your phone but its all been tweaked to make it faster and less draining on battery. His Purity ROM strips out all of the blur aspects so it frees up a lot more memory and resources on your system. You can try out some different launchers and if you become comfortable enough with them you can probably do well with the Purity ROM, since regularly the launchers will be running on top of the blur stuff with all that still running in the background, unless its stripped out like in Purity.

Themes are a bit different, basically they just give you a different look, colors and icons to your phone. Your system must be deodexed to flash a theme over it. By default it is odexed. ROMs will give you a deodexed system, and I believe there are also relatively simple methods to deodex your stock system on your own so you can flash a theme if you choose... might even be a one-click for the bionic that will do it for you. Not sure though, you'll have to research that a bit on your own.

Hope that helps a bit.

akorcovelos

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
OK, so really a ROM is a behind the scenes thing that replaces the OS. That makes sense.

As far as there being several threads with clear directions to flash a ROM I'll search some more, because what I have seen is a bit all over the place. Am I correct in understanding that flashing a ROM means a complete wipe of the phone, but all my data and settings can be restored after?

I was also looking into installing one of the leaked OTAs, but thats confusing too. I read the thread on keeping root with ota but it seems like there is contradicting info on there.

Thanks for all the help, m usually a very tech savvy person, just seem to have a slower learning curve with this stuff...

oh, and not sure about the odex stuff, but I have a "glass" theme running on Go Launcher so I guess rooting allowed that?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Any ROMs developer will give you the specific directions for his ROM. But in most cases, full wipe is necessary, or will just be better for you anyway. All your market apps will restore themselves when you go through phone setup again after flashing the ROM. You can use Titanium backup to restore data for SOME apps, like games and non-system utilities. But system apps no, you will just need to set them up again, same with all your accounts like google and emails and facebook and whatever. Just set them up, doesn't take that long.

The first post that I linked to in that "Easily upgrade to ..." thread is really all you need if you haven't done part of the upgrade already. It should get you to 5.7.893 pretty easily.

And no, themes your using through Go Launcher did not require root. Those icons and stuff are just part of the launcher. Flashing a theme that requires a deodexed system is much different and the results are more pronounced. Like see the Red theme that LifeBeginsFriday posted on this board, check his screenshots: http://forums.androidcentral.com/bionic-rooting-roms-hacks/133518-theme-redbliss-multiple-roms.html
Things like the status bar icons, colors in the notification menu, and colors/styles of all other menus, that's the stuff that you need more access to change.