Warning - don't do any Moto updates - will lose Root

zilos

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I unfroze everything through Titanium and did the OTA and lost root. I tried doing the forever root after the fact and still nothing. I will say that this update did make a huge difference in battery life. Right now its been about 6 hours of medium usage and I am still sitting at around 80% battery.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I unfroze everything through Titanium and did the OTA and lost root. I tried doing the forever root after the fact and still nothing. I will say that this update did make a huge difference in battery life. Right now its been about 6 hours of medium usage and I am still sitting at around 80% battery.

Bolded statement is deserving of a facepalm.

Sorry...

If you need root and lost it, I know people have been able to fix it. I cannot promise anything and take no responsibility (standard disclaimer)... but I THINK that after you use the releasedroot tool linked to above to flash your system back to 5.5.866 (your kernal and baseband will stay updated), you can use the tool to root and apply foreverroot. From that point use bootstrap, and in CWR install this file from your sd card to bring your system back to 5.5.893, hopefully with root still intact: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/FULL_CWR_5.5.893_update.zip

Again, no promises, but I think that may work..

sglitwin

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I did the foreveroot hack and then downloaded the ota update for my Bionic and lost root. I still have wifi hotspot and the changes on my system/bin ate still in there. Can I reroot or am I sunk??? I don't want to try without good advice.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The process I outlined MAY work.. Would love if someone would confirm it. Meanwhile I'm personally working with some guys to confirm a solution for ppl who ota'd and lost root.. I can't promise if or when we'll have it hammered out, but I will post back when I have something solid. Meanwhile it would surely help if someone tested my idea posted above..

OrdieSep88

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The process I outlined MAY work.. Would love if someone would confirm it. Meanwhile I'm personally working with some guys to confirm a solution for ppl who ota'd and lost root.. I can't promise if or when we'll have it hammered out, but I will post back when I have something solid. Meanwhile it would surely help if someone tested my idea posted above..

It worked for me. Before getting the update i rooted, then unrooted using petes way. I received the update, tried rooting again using petes, was unsuccessful. Used the link mentioned above. Worked like a charm. Thanks 2defmouze!

Reactions: 2defmouze

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Lol great, I'm going to make a thread for people... Thank you for confirming it worked :)

oh and glad I could help :)

I forever rooted with the releasedroot tool, but the update wouldn't install. So with the released root tool i restored to factory stock, re-rooted, and forever rooted. I installed the update and maintained root. Restored everything with Ti backup and was all good.

I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference so far after the update. But my phone wasn't as buggy as others to begin with.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon