Will the Bionic be rooted eventually with the update

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
installed. I rooted my phone before the update using Petes Motorola One Click Root. I didn't want to forever root before the update in case I needed to return my phone so I just updated. I am actually able to use some rooted programs still but the one I really want to use is Titanium Backup which doesn't work anymore. So do you think we will be able to root this phone again and how long will it take?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Dude you answered your own question there... "forever" root just means you will be able to keep root with an OTA update. Doesn't mean it permanently roots your phone, you can always flash it back to unrooted stock if you need to return it...

You can use this R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki to add forever root (might have to go back to stock, forever root, and then redo the update).

Read through some other threads re keeping root and/or restoring root after the update.

Reactions: anicholas7

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Lol Dubs you're trying to say that "forever" doesn't mean "permanent"??

Haha, I know what you mean but I think its understandable how it could get confusing to someone :)

To OP... the foreverroot hack is not permanent, its a quick script edit that lets root carry over through the update process, but some of the more recent leaks suggest Moto is trying to block that from working as well. Luckily, it works just fine with 5.5.893. And the script would not permanently root your phone, you could always unroot just as easily as you rooted, or restore to stock, or whatever.

More importantly though, you say that you updated but still have root access, although only Titanium isn't working? I would go to settings>applications>manage apps>all, and clear cache and data for superuser, then reboot. Once booted, try Titanium and see if it will request SU permissions like normal so you can allow it. Yes you'll have to allow for all your root programs again, but that should only take a minute really.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I guess that'ts my bad. I actually thought that it meant you can not unroot once you apply forever root.
The name was misleading. I tried clearing data and cache and rebooting but Titanium can not find root access on my phone. Not sure if I will restore phone and apply forever root then the update again but I appreciate your responses.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess that'ts my bad. I actually thought that it meant you can not unroot once you apply forever root.
The name was misleading. I tried clearing data and cache and rebooting but Titanium can not find root access on my phone. Not sure if I will restore phone and apply forever root then the update again but I appreciate your responses.

Would you download Root Checker from the market and see if that will confirm that you're fully rooted?

EDIT: Just know that if you are, you should have no reason to go through the hassle of restore, re-root, update again, etc... If you are indeed rooted then the problem is just with titanium and I'm sure we can find a fix for that, don't do anything rash! :)

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Says I do not have proper root access.
What is strange is the following programs still work on my phone and I believe you need to be rooted to use them.
1) adfree
2) screenshot
3)cpu tuner

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Says I do not have proper root access.
What is strange is the following programs still work on my phone and I believe you need to be rooted to use them.
1) adfree
2) screenshot
3)cpu tuner

Oh boy...I've been afraid of that ever since I heard people were updating and then having success with the 1-click method. I thought it sounded fishy and this plus bumpncarstereo's similar problem is confirming my suspicions...

IMO you guys are probably without root and this update cannot be rooted to the best of my knowledge. So I will suggest going for the method I outlined as "last resort" in my thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/bi.../140960-ota-5-5-893-lost-root-click-here.html

Sucks a bit, I know, but it does appear to be working so I'd say if you want your root access this is going to be your best bet. Any questions, please feel free to ask in that thread (will just make it easier on me so I can help you guys together).

crspy

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
installed. I rooted my phone before the update using Petes Motorola One Click Root. I didn't want to forever root before the update in case I needed to return my phone so I just updated. I am actually able to use some rooted programs still but the one I really want to use is Titanium Backup which doesn't work anymore. So do you think we will be able to root this phone again and how long will it take?

try this out

http://forums.androidcentral.com/bi...5-updated-lost-root-1-click-root-working.html

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Just an update. The cpu tuner is no longer working. Since it was appearing on my phone all the time in the notification area I thought it was still working but it is not supported anymore since the update. So it seems that just the apps adfree and screenshot are working. I will try the one click solution later in the day and report back.
thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

dmolnar1

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a newbie. I rooted my Bionic 5.5.886 with Pete's 1-click and now the update doesn't work. From reading the threads, it seems you must but back the removed apps. I could tell you which are missing (forgot). Any help to get my phone to update would be appreciated!

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you can't remember what you removed, you're sol. You can use releasedroot to get you back to stock and forever rooted, and then do the update. This is why people shouldn't remove anything, just freeze it and unfreeze when needed.

Tapatalked from my Bionic

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted before update. I unrooted and installed update. I see the superuser app is still on the phone but will not let me uninstall. I am going to wait on try and flash back and forever root because i have been having issues with a few apps and the BSOD. I may have to return it to verizon and dont want to do the work of rooting and then have to undo it. Anyway if I do have to send this back into verizon then will the Superuser app being installed clue them in on the rooting and decline my warranty? just curious. Thanks.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
The SU app will automatically show that you are rooted or at least have had root. You should be able to do a factory reset and get rid of it. There are some people here that claim they have returned phones that were rooted but if you can delete it I would.