[GUIDE] How To Receive OTAs Again If You Are On A Leak

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh lol didn't know that. Just stating what some folks over on rootzwiki were saying. Soooo you can get to stock rooted 901, make a nandroid backup and move on to installing a rom...?

Sent from my Ic3d Kin3txed Bionic with Hon3y

Yep that's exactly what I would recommend.

Sorry if this question has been answered but does this method flash any custom recoveries or are you still left with the stock?? If not, where does one get a custom recovery??

This method followed correctly leaves you at stock 5.9.901 rooted, so then you can use bionic bootstrap to get into clockwork recovery :)

Troops2990

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Yep that's exactly what I would recommend.

This method followed correctly leaves you at stock 5.9.901 rooted, so then you can use bionic bootstrap to get into clockwork recovery :)
Ok, so is bootstrap and CWR something that will be on it at the end of this process or do i have to get them both from somewhere??
sorry i'm coming from an OG droid and am used to SPRecovery..

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so is bootstrap and CWR something that will be on it at the end of this process or do i have to get them both from somewhere??
sorry i'm coming from an OG droid and am used to SPRecovery..

Bootstrap recovery installs CWR and allows you to boot into it. You will have to install it. You can do that one of two ways....Bootstrap recovery in the market or Rom Manager in the market. Either will install CWR for you and allow you to boot into it. Root is required for both.

Troops2990

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Bootstrap recovery installs CWR and allows you to boot into it. You will have to install it. You can do that one of two ways....Bootstrap recovery in the market or Rom Manager in the market. Either will install CWR for you and allow you to boot into it. Root is required for both.

Thanks is bootstrap better enough to pay for it vs rom manager which is free?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks is bootstrap better enough to pay for it vs rom manager which is free?

I don't think there's any difference. I own both Bootstrap recovery and Rom Manager Premium so I couldn't really tell you. Seems to install the same version of CWR regardless of which you use.

openyoureyes

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
So what are the "optional resources" listed in the OP?

Also, the instructions say "follow the prompt but don't sign into anything, just get to the homescreen". How do to this?

this? does this work on bionic? http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/10/tip-how-to-bypass-android-activation-screen-on-motorola-droid/

Thanks!

The optional resources are there if you know what they are and you need them, otherwise you don't have to worry about them. Basically the activation screen will come up and you know the usual process where it asks you to sign in to your google account and everything. Yeah just don't do that. Just basically keep hitting next or skipping. Your goal there is just to get to the homescreen and not worry about anything else.

McBane

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
One question I have is, after you install all these updates and still have root, if I manually debloat does that mean it breaks it from the "proper" upgrade path?

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
One question I have is, after you install all these updates and still have root, if I manually debloat does that mean it breaks it from the "proper" upgrade path?

The OTA updates are designed to patch things on the phone...bootloader, kernel, files on the system, etc. If those files aren't there, it will fail the update validation and fail to run the update. So yes, if you remove bloat, you will not be able to update until you restore it. A much safer option is to freeze it using something like titanium backup. When you want to update again, unfreeze the bloat, run the update, and then refreeze it.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
ok I'm a bit screwed here... I know I put the radio.zip file on the root of my sd-ext, got through the moto-fastboot cmds just fine (ok, had to do it twice b/c I missed one the first time around), booted into stock recovery, and don't see the radio.zip file there.

EDIT - I rebooted, and connected my phone to my laptop as a USB drive. The radio.zip file IS THERE, on the root of my sd-ext. I recopied it just in case. Went back into recovery, wiped cache again, pulled battery again, went back into recovery, and still can't see the radio.zip file in the list of available files to flash. Is there a limit to how many files stock recovery can see or something?

EDIT 2: connected again via USB and moved some files on my sd-ext into a subfolder. Note to self and everyone - there IS a limit to the number of files that stock recovery can display in the available files list. wow. moving on now, I think. Installing radio.zip now.

Last edited:

openyoureyes

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
ok I'm a bit screwed here... I know I put the radio.zip file on the root of my sd-ext, got through the moto-fastboot cmds just fine (ok, had to do it twice b/c I missed one the first time around), booted into stock recovery, and don't see the radio.zip file there.

EDIT - I rebooted, and connected my phone to my laptop as a USB drive. The radio.zip file IS THERE, on the root of my sd-ext. I recopied it just in case. Went back into recovery, wiped cache again, pulled battery again, went back into recovery, and still can't see the radio.zip file in the list of available files to flash. Is there a limit to how many files stock recovery can see or something?

EDIT 2: connected again via USB and moved some files on my sd-ext into a subfolder. Note to self and everyone - there IS a limit to the number of files that stock recovery can display in the available files list. wow. moving on now, I think. Installing radio.zip now.

Hmm well this is the first I am hearing of it but I'm glad you were able to figure it out. I'll make sure to note that for myself as well. Let us know how it works out for you.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
ok, new wrinkle. zergRush rooted successfully, but I can't get these adb commands to work:

adb push busybox /system/xbin/busybox
adb push su /system/xbin/busybox

it returns (0 bytes in xxxxxs). So the next commands to do forever root don't work either, saying no such directory.

How can I push busybox and su ?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
ok, new wrinkle. zergRush rooted successfully, but I can't get these adb commands to work:

adb push busybox /system/xbin/busybox
adb push su /system/xbin/busybox

it returns (0 bytes in xxxxxs). So the next commands to do forever root don't work either, saying no such directory.

How can I push busybox and su ?

Did you make sure those files (busybox, su, etc) on your computer are in the same folder as all the other files, including the adb and moto-fastboot files?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yup, they're all in the same directory as they all came in the same .rar file... going to try P3's one-click now to see if I can get that rolling.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's been a long and winding road, but I'm almost there. P3's process updated my system to 5.5.893, but then I lost root. R3l3as3d/For3v3r root didn't work either. Finally got root back with one-click exploit, then used For3v3r root script. Didn't go to 901 yet, going to install bootstrapper, do a nandroid, and go forward from there. Have the 901 update on my zip so will install that manually in stock recovery. Downloading all my apps now. Ugh. This was NOT smooth. Though I must say P3's method is almost foolproof....

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It's the end result that counts. :)

Well yeah, but dang it, this can try the patience of the most patient person (and I am very patient)... so yes, definitely happy I'm back where I wanted to be.... not as excited as you I'm sure (been following your bricking angst and subsequent unbricking joy and rapture on rootzwiki), but excited...

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well yeah, but dang it, this can try the patience of the most patient person (and I am very patient)... so yes, definitely happy I'm back where I wanted to be.... not as excited as you I'm sure (been following your bricking angst and subsequent unbricking joy and rapture on rootzwiki), but excited...

Yea i was very happy to get this thing back up and running. It's been working great ever since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34