Possible unrooting issue

Bionic Bobsled

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
So my phone will be replaced under warranty on Thursday. I need to unroot my rooted and ROMmed Bionic before returning it to verizon. So how much do I really need to do before returning it? I mean, do I: 1) unroot, 2) re-install bloatware, 3) re-install misc. files??

Back when I got the phone I went straight from stock to rooted to ROMmed. I didn't back anything up. If I need to do #s 2 and 3 where do I the files from? If I unroot then do the OTA update will that add whatever I'm missing?

TIA

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
do a search for returning bionic to stock...tons of info out there....i will say that i did just what you did....and getting back to stock was a mutha.....all in all about 15 hours of downloading files and flashing with rsd lite and files trying to return to the upgrade path....by the time i got it all set i dont even think i know what did it lol...make sure you start with a full battery and lots of time and read lots of forum post....i even had to make a home made battery charger since mine got so low the phone would not program.....

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Wait...can't you just do a factory reset?? Should bring your phone back to base stock without having to go thru all that other junk.

Tapatalked from my Bionic

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Wait...can't you just do a factory reset?? Should bring your phone back to base stock without having to go thru all that other junk.

Tapatalked from my Bionic
God if it was only that simple......life would be good.....rooting does not change the programing of the phone...it gives you the ability to do so....rooting unlocks the door to allow the phone to be changed.....when you flash a new rom you then change the programing of the phone....when you do a factory data reset all you are doing is removing things you have added to the phones internal memory....things like apps...email accounts... user settings and anything that is not part of the rom but it will not unroot a phone or replace the custom rom with the stock rom....for that you will need to download the files to a computer and push them to the phone via the USB cable.....I'm still leaning how to do things with Motorola....Samsung was much more simple......

Bionic Bobsled

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
God if it was only that simple......life would be good.....rooting does not change the programing of the phone...it gives you the ability to do so....rooting unlocks the door to allow the phone to be changed.....when you flash a new rom you then change the programing of the phone....when you do a factory data reset all you are doing is removing things you have added to the phones internal memory....things like apps...email accounts... user settings and anything that is not part of the rom but it will not unroot a phone or replace the custom rom with the stock rom....for that you will need to download the files to a computer and push them to the phone via the USB cable.....I'm still leaning how to do things with Motorola....Samsung was much more simple......

Yeah, but wouldn't you be able to unroot then either do the factory reset or OTA update to load everything back to basic? I'm not doubting you, I'm just asking. I have not done my research yet be need to do that tonight when I get home since the replacement phone arrives tommorow.

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but wouldn't you be able to unroot then either do the factory reset or OTA update to load everything back to basic? I'm not doubting you, I'm just asking. I have not done my research yet be need to do that tonight when I get home since the replacement phone arrives tommorow.
Doing an ota will unroot these phones (provided 4ever root has not been applied) and that is because new software is being downloaded and flashed to the phone....a factory data reset only erases user data...as you research you will understand better.....from what I understand when you flash a rom the phone erases the current rom and then writes the new one....so when you do the data reset with a custom rom it only gets rid of user data....not the custom rom or root.....just make sure you read a lot and start the process with a full battery....since you have another phone coming you could use that phone to charge your battery if it goes dead.....good luck

Bionic Bobsled

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Doing an ota will unroot these phones (provided 4ever root has not been applied) and that is because new software is being downloaded and flashed to the phone

True, but isn't that a good thing in my case?

a factory data reset only erases user data...as you research you will understand better.....from what I understand when you flash a rom the phone erases the current rom and then writes the new one....so when you do the data reset with a custom rom it only gets rid of user data....not the custom rom or root

I thought about this after I posted above. Makes sense, since the rooted ROM re-writes/replaces the stock ROM, so factory reset, would only reverts back to the default settings and profile preferrences since it doesn't d/l or actually install any files.

Yes, I'll do some research.

Thanks.

Bionic Bobsled

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Aghhh, So I tried to use this method to unroot LINKY but the MOT Composite ADB Interface will NOT appear in my device manager. Not sure what's up with that??

On top of that, my phone decided to d/l 9.9.902 today and keeps bugging me to install. What's the worst that can happen if I let it install? Don't I just lose root?

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
worst case is that it bricks the phone since you are on a custom rom....if that happens it would be very unlikely that verizon would know its rooted....best case is that it will erase root with the update....either way the phone is good to go for sending back.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084