Really Stupid Root Questions

jordanb2003

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I have had my bionic for about six months now, and I've been on android for almost two years. I think i'm finally ready to take the next step with my phone. I want to root it. Allow me to explain my reasoning for wanting to root.
-I want to remove some app icons from my menu, stuff that I never use but can't delete.
-I want to be able to "cheat" in games that are downloaded via the market. For example, unlimited coins in Defender II.
- I want to be able to extend my battery life, and stop things from running in the background.

But, I have some reservations.
When I root my phone, will it still act normal if I don't install a custom rom?
If I just root my phone and don't want to install a custom rom, where do I go next?
I'm aware that there are "black market" app stores, but what do they have to offer that the Play Store doesn't?
Will I still be able to make calls, text, get on the internet, and play games like normal?

I understand that the basic point of rooting is to gain superuser access so one can overclock and do things like that, but I know it's not like "jailbreaking" to get free apps. Is it possible to get free apps if one is "rooted"?

Thanks for all your help!
-Jordan

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had my bionic for about six months now, and I've been on android for almost two years. I think i'm finally ready to take the next step with my phone. I want to root it. Allow me to explain my reasoning for wanting to root.
-I want to remove some app icons from my menu, stuff that I never use but can't delete.
-I want to be able to "cheat" in games that are downloaded via the market. For example, unlimited coins in Defender II.
- I want to be able to extend my battery life, and stop things from running in the background.

But, I have some reservations.
When I root my phone, will it still act normal if I don't install a custom rom?
Yes it should
If I just root my phone and don't want to install a custom rom, where do I go next?
See your device's instructions for rooting and custom ROMs.. They differ from device to device, but you should be able to run a stock build while rooted. Example, obtain root so you can remove bloatware or unwanted apps, wireless tethering, backup & restore programs like Titanium or Myback Up, etc.
I'm aware that there are "black market" app stores, but what do they have to offer that the Play Store doesn't?
This is something we don't encourage or support here at Android Central.
Will I still be able to make calls, text, get on the internet, and play games like normal?
if your using a fully functional ROM. Just make sure whatever you do flash has a good reputation and all is functioning.
I understand that the basic point of rooting is to gain superuser access so one can overclock and do things like that, but I know it's not like "jailbreaking" to get free apps. Is it possible to get free apps if one is "rooted"?
Again free "paid" apps is something we don't encourage or discuss here at Android Central. Simply put your stealing from a developer.
Thanks for all your help!
-Jordan
Rooting can be a very enjoyable experience and open an entire new world to what the manufacture and carrier feels you shouldn't be allowed to tinker with. Most people do it simply to remove bloat, some do it to run custom ROMs/themes..

Good luck.

jordanb2003

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I understand about stealing from the developer, but I was more curious about games that don't have an in-game option to buy extra currency. For example GTA 3. I assume the game stores it as a variable in there, and I didn't know if there was a gameshark like app that would let me go in and get like infinite health or infinite cash.

Also, if I just root my device, wouldn't I be on a "stock" rom already? Or is it once I root it I have to download a rom to use it?

Also, custom themes are something I have seen on the market, like panda. And I've seen apps for overclocking or underclocking your cpu, but you have to be rooted. I'm assuming that when I root I can download and use these apps, is that all I need to do?

Also, I've seen some people root to get better battery life, do they just do this by stopping bloatware?

I've also seen people talking about "Freezing" and "defrosting" apps, what is this and how would I go about doing it?

Also, I see people recommend safestrap and titanium backup. Are these just apps to help with the rooting process, or do they have some other form of functionality?

Thanks!
-Jordan

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I understand about stealing from the developer, but I was more curious about games that don't have an in-game option to buy extra currency. For example GTA 3. I assume the game stores it as a variable in there, and I didn't know if there was a gameshark like app that would let me go in and get like infinite health or infinite cash.
Not too sure on that, I'm not a big gamer on my device... I'm sure there are gameshark like apps out there but I have no knowledge of them or their use
Also, if I just root my device, wouldn't I be on a "stock" rom already? Or is it once I root it I have to download a rom to use it?
Like I said before it depends on how root is obtained on your device. You should be able to in most cases be able to run "stock OS" and have root.
Also, custom themes are something I have seen on the market, like panda. And I've seen apps for overclocking or underclocking your cpu, but you have to be rooted. I'm assuming that when I root I can download and use these apps, is that all I need to do?
Custom themes are normally made specifically for each ROM. Most of the time you don't see anyone theme "stock".
Also, I've seen some people root to get better battery life, do they just do this by stopping bloatware?
Rooting does have a great advantage to better battery life. Once you obtain root access and install a custom recovery (normally both done at the same time) you can then flash custom kernels which will allow you to control your CPU speed and other tweaks to provide better battery life or speed on your device.
I've also seen people talking about "Freezing" and "defrosting" apps, what is this and how would I go about doing it?
Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root has the option to freeze apps if you don't want to delete them. Removal of bloatware helps some battery usage due to cutting out unnecessary apps/processes running in the background but at the same time it also frees up for "system" memory to help your device run a little leaner.
Also, I see people recommend safestrap and titanium backup. Are these just apps to help with the rooting process, or do they have some other form of functionality?
Titanium backup and MyBackup are very valuable. I always suggest one or the other to make backup's of your apps and data to restore and have when switching ROMs or in the event of something going wrong.
Thanks!
-Jordan

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

For the Bionic, when you root and restart, you will still be running stock with root access and the superuser app to manage root permissions for root-enabled apps. You can stay stock if you like; I suggest installing Titanium Backup Pro and using it to freeze bloat apps that you do not want, rather than delete them, though.

As I mentioned before, use the app Titanium Backup Pro. Run it, enable root access the first run (it will not prompt again.) When you go to the list of apps, IIRC you can long-click on an app and "freeze" the app. Defrosting is the opposite of freezing - it re-enabled the app. I believe that freezing is merely renaming the app to a name that is not an app, but using an app like Titanium Backup Pro is an easy way to manage this.

In addition to the freezing/thawing I mentioned before, Titanium Backup allows you to backup your apps *and* their data - making it very easy to get things running as you had your phone if you ever factory reset. When you install a custom ROM, you almost always have to wipe the data from the device and start the phone as if it was set up from scratch. After running set up, you can go into the market (Play Store), reinstall Titanium, and then batch restore your backup apps and data.

When you want to install a custom ROM on the Bionic, you need to install something called a bootstrap (which interrupts the booting procedure) and a custom recovery, which allows you to backup and restore your phone, install custom ROMs, as well as some other utilities. Safestrap is combination bootstrap and recovery which does something really cool - it saves your original rooted ROM in a custom partition on your phone's storage and then lets you install custom ROMs on a spare partition on the phone. Usually when you use bootstrap and Clockwork Recovery, you replace the stock system files. Safestrap allows you to toggle the ability to install custom ROMs on and off (it's called toggling the safe system), which, when you toggles safe off, quickly brings back the original rooted system, if you need to run stock for some reason.