What exactly is it that you like about ICS over GB?

rotten1965

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
First I want everyone to know that I'm not being a wise ass! I was sick of being treated like a step child from Verizon and Motorola and have grown tired of waiting for the official OTA ICS to be released so I flashed to the .232 ICS leak and other than graphics I'm very curious what the big deal is? Can I get some feedback from the Bionic community here? I know that users are enjoying many more custom roms but what else am I missing??? I had NO data drop issues here in mid Michigan and always have 4G unless I'm down in my basement. I like the graphics but I can't say that ICS is faster than GB. I'm rooted and have all the necessary apps and want to thank all the great developers out there for the ICS leak! I haven't flashed any custom roms yet (is that what makes ICS so great?) Please let me know what I'm missing!!!! Thanks again!

soulsurvives

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....things that I think are way better than gingerbread you may not even notice.....if you have no issues and your happy that is all that matters......one of the things like about ics is that I can change the phone text size....

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I think folks like using both cores of their processor on ics.

At least that was my understanding (limited).

Sent from my Venomized Rezound.

Last edited:

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Coming from WebOS, I'm looking for that Matias Duarte goodness: better multitasking functionality, ability to adjust settings for WiFi and the like from the notification bar, and however much remains of Just Type after the Apple verdict.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Access to app that require ICS (not that important right now)

The Roboto font

Webtop 3.0 - aka ICS tablet mode vs. unusable Firefox browser.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

rotten1965

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, So far I have to say I like the larger font size for texting, I think my audio (player pro) sounds much better than it did on GB and my Browser speed seems faster also. Overall it's growing on me more and more each day! Can't wait to try my camera and video recorder when I go see DOWN on 9/23/2012! Please keep posting features you like on this build over GB! Thanks for your feedback!

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Better camera - ability to take stills while shooting video (great with kids).

Chrome

Notification available from lock screen

Better lock screen with options for camera, dialer, and message.

Better notification bar with access to settings

Webtop 3.0 (love and hate. Way more stable, but lost true desk top experience)

No data drops

Cards for open apps.
Swipe to close apps from card view

Google Now (ported from JB for ICS devices)

Smart actions

Downside is worse battery. That's it.

rotten1965

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
So far the only thing with ICS that is bugging me is the battery drain!!! I bought an extended battery before flashing to .232 and I can only get 8-10 hours of casual use before having to recharge!!! Still I have to say ICS is much better than the GB OS!!! For all the Bionic users out there that are pissin' and moanin', Take the plunge! It's an easy transition!

Just follow the instructions and within an hour your running the .232 ICS leak with root! I'm not a tech savy guy (I just play one on television!) and if I can flash to the ICS .232 leak with no problems then anyone can! Enough already with all the ing! Just flash your phone and enjoy!!! Like samuri has said many many times.....just don't flash beyond the .232 leak and you'll be fine! You WILL be able to get back to the OTA path and get the "Official" release when it's finally put out!

These forums are here to help you get the most out of your android smart phones! Stop with all the crying about how much you hate Motorola and Verizon and will never buy or use their services again! The tools are here people! Use them and make your phones that much more enjoyable! I have owned Motorola phones since they first came out to the masses and will say they are the most reliable cellular devices I have ever used! I have used many different brands and Motorola is by far the best!!!

There is a reason that our elite special opps teams use Motorola communication devices over all the others out there.......and I dare anyone to argue their reliability with Navy SEAL Richard Marcinko!!! LOL :-!

Please keep your comments flowing and let us know what you like/dislike about the ICS leaks and if you haven't flashed to the ICS .232 leak yet...... please try it!!! And then and only then do you have the right to /complain!!! Thanks for reading my rant!!!:p

isleshocky77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Would you mind posting which directions you used to flash ICS? It's strange that this hasn't been made into a sticky topic. I've found a bunch, but they all seem to use the same files which have been taken offline.

I already have a rooted and backed up device so I'm thinking it shouldn't be that big of a transition. The biggest things seems to be installing safestrap or some other software so you can bounce back if needed.

Like I said, if someone could provide a detailed post (sticky) with attached files which won't get lost to someone changing their blog - that would be great.

MikeB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Better camera - ability to take stills while shooting video (great with kids).

Chrome

Notification available from lock screen

Better lock screen with options for camera, dialer, and message.

Better notification bar with access to settings

Webtop 3.0 (love and hate. Way more stable, but lost true desk top experience)

No data drops

Cards for open apps.
Swipe to close apps from card view

Google Now (ported from JB for ICS devices)

Smart actions

Downside is worse battery. That's it.

+1 Agree. I've been using ICS since the 232 leak and it has definitely grown on me and I wouldn't go back. My battery is not worse though. You do have to do some proactive checking and stop a few apps that may kill battery if you want to use the phone for long periods of time (like facebook, pandora, music, etc .. ). That results in acceptable battery. I have seen it drain in a few ours of heavy use though (although GB did this as well).

Overall, love the improvements!

Yaish

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Would you mind posting which directions you used to flash ICS? It's strange that this hasn't been made into a sticky topic. I've found a bunch, but they all seem to use the same files which have been taken offline.

I already have a rooted and backed up device so I'm thinking it shouldn't be that big of a transition. The biggest things seems to be installing safestrap or some other software so you can bounce back if needed.

Like I said, if someone could provide a detailed post (sticky) with attached files which won't get lost to someone changing their blog - that would be great.

Use House of Bionic. It couldn't be simpler.

Reactions: Ry

carzaddict

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
to be honest, i havent really noticed a significant advantage over GB

i like the data usage chart.
I like the small increase in performance...its not a huge thing, but sometimes i feel the phone is smoother. I like the open app cards.
I like that i can now stream live tv from my Time Warner Cable app

I dont like the blue font on black. Makes it SUPER hard to read in sunlight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance