How to get OTA update ICS

Keithm24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I have only rooted once in my life. However, I am interested in knowing how to go about installing the OTA update on my Bionic which includes ICS. My phone is rooted, System version 5.9.902.XT875, Android version 2.3.4. Do I need to unroot to install the OTA update? If so, how do I do that? Or could I just use the recovery on the phone to put it back to stock and then upgrade back up? Thanks! I just don't want to mess up.

Keith

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How important is it for you to not wipe your data?

You could just download the full flash file for the ICS 246 build and start fresh.

The OTA should be available for pull via Settings > About Phone > System Updates. If you go this route, I recommend going to as close to stock as you possibly can, un-doiing any rooting or other modifications you've done.

Keithm24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ry,

I'm not too concerned with losing any data as I have it all backed up on my PC. It wouldn't matter to me to start fresh and then update all the way by OTA to ICS. Would this be the easiest method? I'm just wondering what the easiest way to update to ICS is without bricking my phone:p I don't care if I lose root! Thanks!

Keith

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Right now the OTA is asking to update to 905, would I lose root if I let it update?
Possibly, but it's easy to get it back. OTA Rootkeeper is what I've used to maintain root through the update to GB .905 and ICS .246. There were a couple of permissions issues that cropped up in each case, but I happen to also use Titanium Backup, which flagged the issues and offered to fix them. All's well.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
What would be the easiest way to update to ICS?
Assuming that the OTA is asking to install, just let it. One of the two Bionics in our household updated like a champ via that method. The other went into a boot loop during the OTA process and finally needed to be manually flashed to .246 with the House of Bionic method (which is sufficiently easy that I recommend it highly if you encounter any issues either preventing you from receiving the OTA or keeping it from succeeding).

Both are like entirely new phones now -- ICS isn't WebOS, but the Matias Duarte touch brings it a lot closer to my previous mobile OS experience than GB ever could.

Keithm24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I did run into an issue when taking the OTA update from 902 to 905. I used ES file explorer to delete superuser.apk, su, and one file in xbin, then ran root checker and it said "not rooted". After this, I took the OTA update, phone got about a quarter of the way through installing it (The yellow bar) then an exclamation point popped up above the yellow bar, the phone rebooted and said the update had failed. Any advice on what to do from there?

Keith

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I did run into an issue when taking the OTA update from 902 to 905. I used ES file explorer to delete superuser.apk, su, and one file in xbin, then ran root checker and it said "not rooted". After this, I took the OTA update, phone got about a quarter of the way through installing it (The yellow bar) then an exclamation point popped up above the yellow bar, the phone rebooted and said the update had failed. Any advice on what to do from there?

Keith

Hope you backed up what you needed.

I'd just simply grab the 246 flash file and RSDLite and flash away.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Root, or the lack thereof, should not by itself have anything to do with getting the OTA to work, so unrooting was probably not required. That said, there's something going on. At this point, since you're looking for ICS, there's no need to expend any further effort on getting to .905. Just install ICS and call it good. SamuriHL's House of Bionic will load a clean copy of stock ICS .246 on your phone (he's been making it easy and reliable since the early ICS leaks first started to appear, so it's pretty much on rails at this point, but do be sure to read the FAQ first). Your phone will end up in exactly the same condition as if it had taken the OTA successfully. You can re-root from there, if you like -- in fact, if I recall correctly, it may even be an option in the HoB scripts. Re-rooting is, in any event, not difficult.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It's not at all difficult. Read through the FAQ thread thoroughly, all your answers are there. Once set up just follow the prompts on the screen. And yes, once you're on ics hob also has an option to reroot. Works like a charm.

sent from my icy bionic

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey