Root Droid Bionic on Jelly Bean for dummies. In plain as plain english gets

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Help with #16 how do you get your phone and computer on the same ip address I'm connected to the same wifi on both but the ip address is showing up different.
#17 I have debugging on where do I go to files on a Motorola Droid Bionic to make it remote storage so that I could do step 17

Enter ifconfig in the terminal and it'll give you the IP. Then on the phone go to files then remote storage. It'll ask for all the info at that point. Input the info and connect.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AC Forums mobile app

SimpleChaos#AC

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Any tips if I don't have 'remote storage' on my phone? Developer Options - USB Debugging is checked. Under Files I have Device storage, SD card, Favorites, and Recent. Am I missing a check box somewhere? Thanks.

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Any tips if I don't have 'remote storage' on my phone? Developer Options - USB Debugging is checked. Under Files I have Device storage, SD card, Favorites, and Recent. Am I missing a check box somewhere? Thanks.

Remote storage comes with your system file explorer. When you go into files it should look like this. If you don't have remote storages I would suggest getting an app like AndSMB or samba server from the play store. Both are free.

Attachments

• 1372093847057.jpg
    1372093847057.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 24

nitehawk79

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Help with #16 how do you get your phone and computer on the same ip address I'm connected to the same wifi on both but the ip address is showing up different.
#17 I have debugging on where do I go to files on a Motorola Droid Bionic to make it remote storage so that I could do step 17

What version are you using (ICS or JB)? Once you type ifconfig look at the device that is wireless...than set your phone as shown...if you do not see the remote storage under files you need to update to JB first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nitehawk79

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Nuwan great instructions...maybe a little guidance to setup wifi in Ubuntu. Rooted a few phones without any problem.

Thank you,

Scott

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Nuwan great instructions...maybe a little guidance to setup wifi in Ubuntu. Rooted a few phones without any problem.

Thank you,

Scott

I'm always glad when this worked for somebody. Like i said on a previous comment i was self taught. I tried to do this tutorial so any noob can understand it. And that's an excellent point scott about the wifi. I should have explained a little more about it.

mgcarp

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this. Followed all steps without problem until I hit sudo ./run.sh. I get the following error.

./adb.linux: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Any ideas?

edit: Installing ia32-libs from the repositories will fix the issue.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Dennis Davis1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
OK, I've tried to connect about 60 times, tried everything here and no connect to samba. Extremely frustrated with samba and no connection.
I have resisted smashing the phone through the wall though

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
OK, I've tried to connect about 60 times, tried everything here and no connect to samba. Extremely frustrated with samba and no connection.
I have resisted smashing the phone through the wall though

Did you set up your samba file share correctly and are your phone and computer on the same network?

Dennis Davis1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
switched to my fedora machine and installing samba and 32 bit comp libs. will try again soon.
Wondering if I use a different kernel ( eclipse ) will I still need to root? Or is elclipse rooted stock?

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
switched to my fedora machine and installing samba and 32 bit comp libs. will try again soon.
Wondering if I use a different kernel ( eclipse ) will I still need to root? Or is elclipse rooted stock?

Eclipse ROM? You have to root before you can flash roms

oldguy1950

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I just ran this on Independence Day morning 2013 and it worked great! I ran it the first time and it looked like it worked but Root Checker said it didn't have root. I then ran it again and held down the hard key (don't know if that means anything) and also ran su and went to the "about" and asked for teh install prior to doing a root check. Then root checker shows root access. Now I will look for how to make su a system app.

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I just ran this on Independence Day morning 2013 and it worked great! I ran it the first time and it looked like it worked but Root Checker said it didn't have root. I then ran it again and held down the hard key (don't know if that means anything) and also ran su and went to the "about" and asked for teh install prior to doing a root check. Then root checker shows root access. Now I will look for how to make su a system app.

Yes sir you can use Titanium Back Up or use Root Explorer. On Root Explorer mount system read/write and goto /data/app. Then move Su.apk to /system/app and you're done. Thanks for the feedback!

m_vrik

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Can I use this method with permanent debian wheezy OS? I already have a Samba application but am reluctant to mess with modifying smb.conf.

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Can I use this method with permanent debian wheezy OS? I already have a Samba application but am reluctant to mess with modifying smb.conf.

Sorry I don't know enough about debian wheezy to give any advice. I'm not sure but I think it's Linux based so you can try. From everything I read about this method there's no way to brick your phone. But with anything back up and try.

m_vrik

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
It is the linux program that Ubuntu is based on initially. My concern is that I don't want to screw up the Samba files that are a part of the intalled program. I found the smb.conf file in the /etc/Samba directory. I was thinking that I could rename the current smb.conf file and make a copy with a new name and place it in the /tmp directory to follow your instructions for rooting. Does that make sense?

Nuwan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
It is the linux program that Ubuntu is based on initially. My concern is that I don't want to screw up the Samba files that are a part of the intalled program. I found the smb.conf file in the /etc/Samba directory. I was thinking that I could rename the current smb.conf file and make a copy with a new name and place it in the /tmp directory to follow your instructions for rooting. Does that make sense?

If you can make a copy of your configuration and save it and then put the values in for this to work and then try it, I don't see any harm done. You can always go back and put the original configuration files in. But again I'm no expert in this and you'd be doing this on your own risk.

m_vrik

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
If you can make a copy of your configuration and save it and then put the values in for this to work and then try it, I don't see any harm done. You can always go back and put the original configuration files in. But again I'm no expert in this and you'd be doing this on your own risk.

I renamed my smb.conf file to smb.conf.old and then copied the renamed file to smb.conf. I then edited the new smb.conf file making the changes that you indicated. I setup the guest account. The trouble began when I opened the phone's files folder (under apps - is that where to find it) and selected remote storages. The remote storages section would not let me modify or input the ip address and other info you said should be put in that area. My phone has USB debugging enabled. When I connected the phone, the computer started the samba daemon, identified my device, started rooting, got an error message that installation of Superuser.apk failed because it was already installed and then later another message, /system/bin/sh: /storage/rfs0/pwn: not found. The rooting program said to hit any hardward button on the phone and wait for phone to vibrate, which it never did. I finally, exited the rooting exploit. Bottom line, phone functions fine, but is not rooted. Any thouhts about what I could try at this time? Thanks for all of your work on this tutoral and f/u as others have replied to your work.

Last edited: