Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    stock

Default How rootable?

So I'm not sure if anyone will actually see this for a while but how rootable will this phone be and can we flash custom roms on it? The only way I'm getting a moto phone is if I can get a rom on it. I'm not a big fan of motoblur. But I am loving CM7 on my dinc. I just want dual core really badly lol.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Hmm that's hard to tell if it's like the atrix it may be rooted but custom roms like cm7 are out until the security is fully broken which is doubt will happen any time soon. Honestly in hoping they open this device up but I doubt it
    Rooted for life

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Moto does the bootloader. That means non moto-based ROMs like CM 7 are impossible to flash.

Why is dual core so important?

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB v0.6.1 (D), CM7 (N)

You'll be able to do anything on it but flash custom kernels. So, if a dev was able to get CM7 working on the stock kernel (not saying whether that's easy or extremely difficult, I don't know), then yes you could flash CM7. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon though.

That being said, ROMs built around the stock kernel are made for Moto devices and are quite nice (even having a Droid 1, I'm somewhat jealous of my friend's Droid 2 because the ROM makes the phone pretty good, I believe he's using Liberty now). Something to consider.

PS: It also depends on if the dev community is strong. Something I keep forgetting (though probably partly because it's kinda sad) is that the Motorola Milestone (the Droid's locked down GSM counterpart) has a very tireless dev community going, and because of that, they DO have CyanogenMod 7 up and running on the Milestone despite the locked bootloader. I couldn't tell you what their method was, I need to go to XDA and ask sometime, but I imagine that only a (no offense guys) somewhat lackluster dev community impedes the Droid 2/X and in the future the Bionic from getting a port of CM7.
    Last edited by TuxDotKing; 03-22-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    -Motorola Droid 1 on Verizon
    -Nexus S on no network
    -White 32GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    stock

I see. I was just using cm7 as my example anything other than motoblur would be awesome.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB v0.6.1 (D), CM7 (N)

Yep, you'll be able to flash ROMs and get rid of MotoBlur.
    -Motorola Droid 1 on Verizon
    -Nexus S on no network
    -White 32GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    stock

Then that's perfect. This is looking more and more likely to be my next phone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod10

Yeah hopefully it'll at least get a ROM like Liberty. It's snappy and Blurless and very AOSP-like. If JRummy or someone like him can crack that much of the nut I am so getting a Bionic.

I just hope there are devs that are willing to take on another Moto-locked beast.

/holding breath, and crossing my fingers
    HTC Touch Pro>HTC Droid Eris>Moto Droid X>Samsung Focus>HTC Sensation 4G>Nexus 4>Nexus 5
    Your phone will only be the latest and greatest for a few months.

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

Default Re: How rootable?

Motorola has unlocked the Atrix with the GB update...keep fingers crossed that they will do this for all their future devices!!!!

The worry is that VZW won't let them retroactively unlock this one.
    Fanboi

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBelly/Trinity

I'm not sure why so many people are worried about Verizon preventing this. Has Verizon made any public statements about locking their phones? They have plenty of unlocked phones available right now, including all of their 4G handsets.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Asterdroid View Post
    I'm not sure why so many people are worried about Verizon preventing this. Has Verizon made any public statements about locking their phones? They have plenty of unlocked phones available right now, including all of their 4G handsets.
    Because it is the "cool" thing to do that and hate on blur lmao. I am sure they will have root relatively quick after launch if not before launch. I mean how many moto phones have been rooted before they launched? It is like the devs want to prove they cant be stopped.

Global Posts
    6,684 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I dont think the bionic will be unlocked "Out of the Box" ,,since I read via tweeter that the droid 3 was locked down .Sounds like Moto wasnt serious about releasing phones unlocked from the factory after all.( or at least the ones vzw gets)

If the droid3 has any grounds to stand on in terms of the bionic software, then the bionic should launch with 2.3.4 - which is currently not rootable with any current method except that new temproot method for htc devices from teamwinning
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I dont think the bionic will be unlocked "Out of the Box" ,,since I read via tweeter that the droid 3 was locked down .Sounds like Moto wasnt serious about releasing phones unlocked from the factory after all.( or at least the ones vzw gets)
    they said they would unlock them not ship them unlocked. Some sources were saying an update in november to unlock the bootloaders. But we will just have to wait and see.
    Banned

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by TuxDotKing View Post
    You'll be able to do anything on it but flash custom kernels. So, if a dev was able to get CM7 working on the stock kernel (not saying whether that's easy or extremely difficult, I don't know), then yes you could flash CM7. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon though.

I know a lot of you who are new to the scene are just dismissing this (I would too had I not had the Incredible for 15 months).

But I have to warn you that being able to flash a stock kernel is actually the most important thing for me. If you can't change the kernel in your phone, you are missing out on a lot. It is the engine of your phone.

With well made custom kernels you greatly increase battery life and performance.

It's like being a car racer, buying a new car but they told you that you can't modify the engine - you can change your windshield wipers though! yay!

Seriously, not being able to do custom kernel = Definite No Go for me.
    stridr69#AC likes this.
    Fanboi

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by jamor View Post
    I know a lot of you who are new to the scene are just dismissing this (I would too had I not had the Incredible for 15 months).

But I have to warn you that being able to flash a stock kernel is actually the most important thing for me. If you can't change the kernel in your phone, you are missing out on a lot. It is the engine of your phone.

With well made custom kernels you greatly increase battery life and performance.

It's like being a car racer, buying a new car but they told you that you can't modify the engine - you can change your windshield wipers though! yay!

Seriously, not being able to do custom kernel = Definite No Go for me.
    Agreed on all accounts. P.S. The Incredible pre-release thread on (other site that I won't mention) was a blast. I know you remember.

ROM
    Bugless Beast -Jelly Bean

I just love how somebody already started to question the phones root ability 6 months before its release! lool

ROM
    Bamf on HTC. Stock prime

Quote Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
    Hmm that's hard to tell if it's like the atrix it may be rooted but custom roms like cm7 are out until the security is fully broken which is doubt will happen any time soon. Honestly in hoping they open this device up but I doubt it
    what does that mean for Wireless Tether for Root? Should this phone be rootable enough to use that app? Sorry little bit of a newbie.

The Droid 3 has now been rooted. Looks like it was rooted using an exploit that is shared among Motorola devices. Hope this means good news for the Bionic.
    Android Rules

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Happy

Quote Originally Posted by mjforte View Post
    The Droid 3 has now been rooted. Looks like it was rooted using an exploit that is shared among Motorola devices. Hope this means good news for the Bionic.
    Think it does Mj - TBH mentioned to somone that root will be available immediately. So at least someone thinks its already possible.

Now I understand root and the bootloader are different - so not to get folks hopes up that this puppy will ever be fully unencrypted, but there is a good chance at root.

Unless Motorola quickly comes up with a patch to fix the exploit this should be able to be rooted immediately. As far as the bootloader I would speculate it will happen just like the atrix but a few months after release. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I want to still get this or just wait for the Nexus Prime. They are saying the Nexus Prime will probably be out by thanksgiving as they are shooting for an Oct. release but it will more than likely be delayed.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

can moto devices run wireless tether? my buddy has an x and he lost tether recently because of something vzw had done and no bootloader access.
    Android Rules

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Happy

Gingerbread basically kills wireless tethering unless they figure a way around it. I have heard that certain ROMS may still allow it so I am not 100% convinced its an encrypted bootloader stopping it. Edit: Thought about this some more - being able to have an unlocked bootloader would make this fix immensely easier though.. so expect it to become more and more difficult to wifi tether outside of the native VZW enviornment. Eventually the big companies will find ways to stop this all together.

On another note: 9/2 will be the first attempt to Root the Bionic. TBH looks like they will be giving it a whirl. Wish them luck!
    Last edited by Fable322; 09-01-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

I would think that it would be easy with p3's new one click for GB devices. I just used the one click to re root my X last night. Really easy. Only concern is that it will probably take some time to get an sbf, so if you mess something up you're in trouble.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast