Is the BlackBerry DTEK50 REALLY the most secure?

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry has it's fully device encryption and root of trust built into the phone. I'm not sure how that makes it more secure than a phone running Samsung's Knox for example. It's not about updates as my GS7E is getting the monthly security updates as quickly as BlackBerry's are.

Since BlackBerry's juju is a closed system, not sure we can know what makes it the "most secure" I guess BlackBerry will stand on the claim until someone is able to hack one of their phones.

Maybe Jerry H will chime in I would love to hear his opinion.

Jamescunni

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry has it's fully device encryption and root of trust built into the phone. I'm not sure how that makes it more secure than a phone running Samsung's Knox for example. It's not about updates as my GS7E is getting the monthly security updates as quickly as BlackBerry's are.

Since BlackBerry's juju is a closed system, not sure we can know what makes it the "most secure" I guess BlackBerry will stand on the claim until someone is able to hack one of their phones.

Maybe Jerry H will chime in I would love to hear his opinion.

Knox is based on BlackBerry infrastructure so S7 edge will be as secure as any BlackBerry nowadays BlackBerry helped with Knox I think Samsung helped design curved edges on Priv as part of that deal

Posted via the Android Central App

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Knox is based on BlackBerry infrastructure so S7 edge will be as secure as any BlackBerry nowadays BlackBerry helped with Knox I think Samsung helped design curved edges on Priv as part of that deal

Posted via the Android Central App

Where are you getting any of that?

All Samsung did was work with BlackBerry so that BES12 could be used to manage KNOX enabled phones.... They didn't rebuild KNOX.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
To clarify my question, reading through BlackBerry's blog: BlackBerry’s Android Devices Such as the New DTEK50 Are the Most Secure on the Market: Here’s Why [VIDEO, PICS] | Inside BlackBerry

The blog starts out with some false information, either due to confusion or deliberately to set up misinformation as a premise for the value argument for their product. It then goes on to praise their own performance on releasing security updates - which has been FANTASTIC, so we'll circle back to this point.

Blackberry makes the point that they encrypt user data and have built in malware protection, back up, wipe and restore.

It also highlights some security features that the Priv and DTEK50 share, such as (1) Hardware Root of Trust, (2) a locked down bootloader that won't load custom ROM's and (3) full disk encryption. (4) Part two is securty updates and part 3 is (5) being able to micromanage security and privacy settings.

So here's what prompted my question:

Android already does all or most of this in one fashion or another:

1. Hardware Root of Trust is describing something that Snapdragon processors already have built in. It sounds like BB is just adding software security keys and are not doing anything differently from a hardware standpoint. Apple and Samsung both reference Hardware Root of Trust in their materials and it's actually built into the SoC's that most Android Flagships are using.
  2. The requirement to have a digitally signed OS is the only exception, however there are several phones that can't be unlocked which makes it somewhat of a moot point.
  3. Android has been available fully encrypted since Lollipop. Nougat actually improves upon this with file level encryption.
  4. Android already has monthly security updates and there is a device line that's just as fast as BlackBerry - Nexus. Nexus has the added advantage of being guaranteed 3 years of security updates, whereas BlackBerry is strongly hinting that they could fully abandon mobile at any point between today and whenever they feel like.
  5. While not as down in the details as DTEK, Marshmallow and Nougat already allow you to grant or revoke permissions for apps at will. It seems like all they did here was create an interface for it to be easier for the user to play with those settings.

Android on Marshmallow and Nougat (and iOS too) also has the added benefit of using a fingerprint sensor backed up with a password, pin or pattern, which the DTEK50 does not take advantage of.

So as far as I can tell, my Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X running on Nougat are actually equally or more secure in all areas except for #2. Both do have bootloaders that are easily unlockable, so only devices with applications such as Knox would match that criteria. That said, if one doesn't enable developer options, allow oem unlocking, set up an ADB bridge and then connect the unlocked phone to a PC - then the bootloader remains locked. And personal information is obviously protected from the process of unlocking the bootloader, given that it wipes the device. But the larger point is that your bootloader never accidentally becomes unlocked. No one has ever had a, "whoops, what happened to my bootloader?!" moment.

iOS does these things too ... so when I ask, "What makes it the most secure, or if not, what is more secure?" - what I'm asking is... given that it doesn't look like they're doing anything unique, should we buy into the claims? Can we get an expert to break down what makes it more secure?

And a logical second question once that question is answered, is - at the same price point, why wouldn't a user buy a Nexus 5X or the Sailfish being released this quarter? They're better hardware, will be up to date longer, supported better and longer and have the added benefit of working on whatever carrier you want.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
They're better hardware, will be up to date longer, supported better and longer and have the added benefit of working on whatever carrier you want.

The podcast that went up a few days ago addressed this. The 617 in the DTEK was discussed as being slow by Daniel Bader.

rambo47

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
BlackBerry's legendary security is due in large part to Elliptical Curve Encryption. BlackBerry is the second-largest patent holder for ECC. I'd like to see an assessment of the security of Silent Circle's Blackphone vs. the BlackBerry Priv or DETK50. That is something that would interest me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
We challenged Samsung and BlackBerry over their Android security claims | TechRadar

BlackBerry on Android is apparently not doing anything "behind the scenes". They zip tie the bootloader, use a modified kernel and that seems to be it. Their one mega security card is the inability to unlock the bootloader and root. But, if you choose not to do those things on any other device that is up to date on security patches, such as the Nexus, Samsung flagships, etc - then those are equal secure from a practical standpoint.

jhanks64

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Kinda seems to me that the DTEK50 supports most of my criteria, which is not the same for everyone.

Minimal Bloatware,
Mostly vanilla Android
Some limits on Google Privacy Rape
MicroSD Card slot
Swipe or tap to wake
Not made by Apple

Nice to haves
Works on Verizon
includes BlackBerry Keyboard
includes BlackBerry Hub
Backup to Box.com for free like BB10
Not a jumbled mess like Android