Why doesn't the BlackBerry DTEK50 support Verizon?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It seems to be GSM only, so no CDMA support. It seems like it'd be better to go the other route and make a version specifically for Verizon and then add the normal GSM bands. Verizon phones are factory unlocked and can work on almost any network. Think that'll be a problem for all the businesses with huge Verizon contracts?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the Idol 4 is available for Verizon either.

Isn't the DTEK50 the same hardware as the Idol 4, just with the additional BlackBerry software?

Jamescunni

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Good question. They definitely have a lot in common.

Correct as for Verizon don't manufacturers have to pay them to be able to use their carrier bands on the devices if Verizon elect not to stock said devices guessing BlackBerry opt not to

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Shame.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Very well could see this come later to Verizon. BlackBerry usually releases their GSM shop BlackBerry versions first

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Very well could see this come later to Verizon. BlackBerry usually releases their GSM shop BlackBerry versions first

Looks like they just put their spin on an existing Alcatel though. If that Alcatel doesn't get a Verizon-compatible version, I doubt this DTEK50 will get one.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the Idol 4 is available for Verizon either.

Isn't the DTEK50 the same hardware as the Idol 4, just with the additional BlackBerry software?
To me, the best way to put it is to think of it as essentially an Idol 4 running BB software.

Because that's essentially what it is. ;)

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Should be able to run on Verizon if the unlocked Moto G4 is capable of all US carriers it's about the competition...

rambo47

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Should be able to run on Verizon if the unlocked Moto G4 is capable of all US carriers it's about the competition...

The Moto supports the Verizon CDMA frequencies so it's allowed on the Verizon network. Same with the Nexus 6P and 5X. Verizon will let ANY device on their network IF it supports ALL the frequencies they use. The DTEK50 doesn't even have CDMA radios, ergo not usable on Verizon.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Moto supports the Verizon CDMA frequencies so it's allowed on the Verizon network. Same with the Nexus 6P and 5X. Verizon will let ANY device on their network IF it supports ALL the frequencies they use. The DTEK50 doesn't even have CDMA radios, ergo not usable on Verizon.

Right; the question is why would they eschew CDMA & Band 13 LTE support when the other devices it's competing (other than the OnePlus 3) with support whatever carrier the customer wants?

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Probably cost is not worth the benefit. Most of the world is on GSM.

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Probably cost is not worth the benefit. Most of the world is on GSM.

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

Right Alcatel probable knew that Verizon would never pick up a device in this category from an unknown brand in the US... so they didn't incorporate the CDMA frequency. And BlackBerry is pretty much just taking a stock Idol 4 and putting a new back on it, and installing their software package.