Do you think this device will be successful enough?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
With its Alcatel ancestry it should do okay....they've produced some good phones of late.

Last edited:

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
At this price should do okay. In the USA, it's only priced $100 more than Idol 4 and DTEK50 is factory unlocked with extra Blackberry software.

Posted via the Android Central App

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes. While I would like an HTC/Blackberry joint phone venture, I think this phone will appeal to those who want security.

crazigee

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I think it will fail miserably.

BlackBerry have finally come out with an all touch device, but the specs are terrible. If what people's wanted was a low spec device they wouldn't be clamoring for iPhones and the Galaxy.

I don't think Chen has a clue. Every phone he comes out with fails.

vVick3d

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I think it will fail miserably.

BlackBerry have finally come out with an all touch device, but the specs are terrible. If what people's wanted was a low spec device they wouldn't be clamoring for iPhones and the Galaxy.

I don't think Chen has a clue. Every phone he comes out with fails.

Its true that security features doesn't sell to the normal consumer base, but that's probably less true when talking about the business consumers.

There isn't a whole lot wrong with this phone other than it having an underpowered processor, but I don't think businesses really care if their phones can run games or snapchat or any other non productivity/communication app.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
To me the initial pricing of the Priv, was just awful. Even with the DTEK50, I feel it should be slightly less. But, I guess time will tell. I'll pass on this one; still hurt from paying $749.99 for my Priv. Maybe the next unit will be better on specs and pricing...

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
At this price should do okay. In the USA, it's only priced $100 more than Idol 4 and DTEK50 is factory unlocked with extra Blackberry software.

In the US... you mean on shopblackberry and Amazon?

Sorry but most still buy from Carrier's here. Those looking to buy from other sources, probably don't understand that BlackBerry is even using Android at this point.

The question is can they maintain sales of around 2 - 3 million phones (between all the lines) over a year's time. That might be a possibility, but making BlackBerry a "player" again... not going to happen.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
In the US... you mean on shopblackberry and Amazon?

Sorry but most still buy from Carrier's here. Those looking to buy from other sources, probably don't understand that BlackBerry is even using Android at this point.

The question is can they maintain sales of around 2 - 3 million phones (between all the lines) over a year's time. That might be a possibility, but making BlackBerry a "player" again... not going to happen.

Never said they were going to be a player again. That ended when they chose to develop BB10 instead of embracing Android back in 2008. The days of people lining up for the flagship devices are waning too. Mid tier and lower is where it's at. If any companies show ability to move phones outside the carriers, the carriers will sign deals to get their share. The deal with TCL is as much about survival without carrier support now as having a shot with carriers down the road who sell whatever recycled brand the masses recognize from the old days. Think Perry Ellis and Kenneth Cole being sold in Ross and TJ Maxx.

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Never said they were going to be a player again. That ended when they chose to develop BB10 instead of embracing Android back in 2008. The days of people lining up for the flagship devices are waning too. Mid tier and lower is where it's at. If any companies show ability to move phones outside the carriers, the carriers will sign deals to get their share. The deal with TCL is as much about survival without carrier support now as having a shot with carriers down the road who sell whatever recycled brand the masses recognize from the old days. Think Perry Ellis and Kenneth Cole being sold in Ross and TJ Maxx.

But outside of carriers... what phones sell?

Either ones associated with a Brand that is popular, or ones that are super cheap. A BlackBerry DTEK is neither....

My real issue is this phone is meant for enterprise fleets, where end-to-end security is crucial. But how many enterprise customers in the US buy from sources other than Carriers (commercial customers still get subsidies)? How many enterprise customers in the US aren't using Verizon (DTEK has no CDMA Radio) as their primary provider?

As for BlackBerry and Carriers.... I think Verizon having to sell the PRIV for $400 and the glut of T-Mobile and AT&T PRIV's that can be found for $300 - $400 should be enough to tell you that Carrier are done losing money on BlackBerry hardware.

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Hard to say, the biggest problem BlackBerry has right now is being called BlackBerry, which people have associated with being behind the times and being sub par. BlackBerry needs to shatter the illusion and continue to shatter it to be back in the mainstream and able to make all the phones they want.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I did some research on this phone today, and really like it (I'm a BlackBerry geek). However, I feel like it would do better if the screen size was a little bigger, as well as the battery capacity. But BlackBerry has always been an innovative and unique company and so hopefully it sticks around. I still keep up with what they're doing and would love to grab another BB device at some point. I really miss my Q10 and would LOVE a Priv! :D

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I did some research on this phone today, and really like it (I'm a BlackBerry geek). However, I feel like it would do better if the screen size was a little bigger, as well as the battery capacity. But BlackBerry has always been an innovative and unique company and so hopefully it sticks around. I still keep up with what they're doing and would love to grab another BB device at some point. I really miss my Q10 and would LOVE a Priv! :D

Unfortunately, DTEK50 is re-badged Idol 4 so BlackBerry has no hand in physical design or dimensions. Good news is there are plenty of good deals out there on PRIV.

Posted via Android Central App