Something to think about that perhaps we have overlooked...

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Just IMHO, the DTEK50 is going to be something that IT managers take a hard look at deploying as a fleet phone. Why do I say that? Well, there are several things that might do it:

a) Price- $299, compared to $800 for an iPhone, or $500-900 for other Android offering. Bean-Counters will rejoice.
b) Security- I think we are not appreciating this facet as much as it should be appreciated, especially in this day and age of the phone/database hacks. I think that feature will endear itself to IT/Purchasing managers who have to deploy secure infrastructure in a corporate environment. Same with Government.
c) Fast updates for security patches, see b) above.
d) It is Android, and there are a lot of apps out there.
e) A good size and memory for a corporate phone.

Remember in the long run the bean-counters have a great deal of sway over what phones are deployed, sometimes even more so than the IT guys. So to the Bean-Counters, while you might have an uber-secure iPhone, if you can offer a phone at a third of the cost, that is just as secure, what do you think they will make you purchase? Could this be the phone that saves Blackberry in the corporate world? It might not save it in the casual user world where most of us live, but in the corporate world.....?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
All good points! Hopefully Blackberry learned a few things from some of the Priv issues, and the DTEK will be smoother sailing for them.

BBUniq01

May 14, 2016
Visit site
BlackBerry needs to promote this device to IT and the public. I plan on getting one for my son once he is willing to let go of his Leap. He loves OS10.

Posted via Priv

bh7171

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
BlackBerry needs to promote this device to IT and the public. I plan on getting one for my son once he is willing to let go of his Leap. He loves OS10.

Posted via Priv

Smart son. OS10 is smooth, secure and fluid. I really like my OS 10 devices, Classic in particular. The lack of future runtime updates is most unfortunately not favorable. My wife already ordered the DTEK 50 to potentially replace her Z30.

Posted via the Android Central App

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Also a successful launch, and adoption will hopefully make up for the disaster that is the Priv with its manufacturing defects, high cost, and insane return rate. I am really excited about this phone, I just wish it had 32 gb of storage, but for a corporate phone, 16 is good enough. My issue phone (iPhone 4s has 8 gb).

BBUniq01

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I like my priv lots. Don't have the issues some have talked about

Yes I love my Priv too and have had none of the reported problems. I did buy mine off carrier from ShopBlackberry and I think that makes a difference with no bloatware and timely updates.

Posted via Priv

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Just IMHO, the DTEK50 is going to be something that IT managers take a hard look at deploying as a fleet phone. Why do I say that? Well, there are several things that might do it:

a) Price- $299, compared to $800 for an iPhone, or $500-900 for other Android offering. Bean-Counters will rejoice.
b) Security- I think we are not appreciating this facet as much as it should be appreciated, especially in this day and age of the phone/database hacks. I think that feature will endear itself to IT/Purchasing managers who have to deploy secure infrastructure in a corporate environment. Same with Government.
c) Fast updates for security patches, see b) above.
d) It is Android, and there are a lot of apps out there.
e) A good size and memory for a corporate phone.

Remember in the long run the bean-counters have a great deal of sway over what phones are deployed, sometimes even more so than the IT guys. So to the Bean-Counters, while you might have an uber-secure iPhone, if you can offer a phone at a third of the cost, that is just as secure, what do you think they will make you purchase? Could this be the phone that saves Blackberry in the corporate world? It might not save it in the casual user world where most of us live, but in the corporate world.....?

Depends on what do those corporate IT Guys pay for iPhones? Does the Carrier or Carriers they buy from offer discounts or subsidies?

I know that our company buys via the Carrier (Verizon) and that we do still get subsidies... for us an iPhone 7 would cost about the same as a DTEK50. As the DTEK50 isn't offered by Verizon or any US Carrier.

Might not be an issue in other markets.... but in the US Market I don't know that you can count cost savings as a benefit.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
BlackBerry have done this in the past with their "BlackBerry Leap" this was also targeted as a 'Fleet device' for start up businesses.

I really hope the DTEK50 does well because I want more BlackBerry devices in the future. I would feel so empty inside if I didn't own a BlackBerry device.

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

zedten

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I feel your pain. I'm on an LG right now but really miss my BlackBerry. May have to switch back soon!

Posted via my LG G3 here in Canada eh

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you! I am very interested in this phone and how it performs "in the wild" once it's released. I still root for BlackBerry and I hope that this phone does well for them!

BBUniq01

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Smart son. OS10 is smooth, secure and fluid. I really like my OS 10 devices, Classic in particular. The lack of future runtime updates is most unfortunately not favorable. My wife already ordered the DTEK 50 to potentially replace her Z30.

So my son's Leah's headset jack broke and we can't find parts for it. He is using my white Leap now and wants another Leap. He just prefers the OS10. He is not a huge gamer on his phone since he has an Xbox. He loves the media experience on the OS10. So we will just keep buying Leaps, lol

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
@OP. Definitely agree with you and I think BlackBerry did expect the DTEK50 to become a fleet business device. Just like the BlackBerry Leap was at $275. So it seems like the sub $300 price range is perfect for business people.

Going forward, security will become more and more important as people start to realize how vulnerable they are. Just because of the security aspect I'll stay with BlackBerry.

A droid a day, keep the apple away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC