Soooooo ... this is the Vienna?

CrackBerry Kevin

Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Based on the renders, can't quite tell if this is a "premium" design or a "lower cost" design. One of the main complaints about the Priv is the high price point. We've seen BlackBerry do lower cost phones like the Leap (which the textured back on this Vienna reminds me of). Yet the keyboard looks very Priv like.

A design like this that's lower priced could be the phone they try and sell to enterprises and governments that are still clinging to older BBOS and BB10 keyboard phones.

Bbnivende

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I sure hope there is no square screen! A 4:3 screen would be fine. That is what the Passport should have been. I think that Chen has given up on cheap phones so this should be PRIV grade.

Posted via Android Central App

tufcustomer

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Kevin, it looks like a mash up of the Passport SE upfront (albeit hardly as wide) and the Leap out back. Weird. What's up with the physical android buttons? Hope this is just a really early render. Not the best looking phone aesthetically in my opinion.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I sure hope there is no square screen! A 4:3 screen would be fine. That is what the Passport should have been. I think that Chen has given up on cheap phones so this should be PRIV grade.

This. A square display is disgusting to use.

ASUS ZenFone 2 (4GB RAM)

Von Spradlin

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I hope he doesn't pass on the cheaper phones.... The low cost orginal Blackberry Curve was one of the best selling Blackberrys of all time. I worked for Verizon back in the day and remember the trends for high school kids....

It went orginal Rzr to Blackberry Curve to LG optimus. (we didn't sell the iPhone back then) So for every 1 top of the line Tour or Droid we sold, we'd sell 2 or 3 curves to the young'uns.

Posted via the Android Central App

CrackBerry Kevin

Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think physical buttons for Android OS make sense there... especially when you have actions like swiping up over the "circle" to bring up Google Now or swiping into Hub app, etc.

Kevin, it looks like a mash up of the Passport SE upfront (albeit hardly as wide) and the Leap out back. Weird. What's up with the physical android buttons? Hope this is just a really early render. Not the best looking phone aesthetically in my opinion.

tufcustomer

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think physical buttons for Android OS make sense there... especially when you have actions like swiping up over the "circle" to bring up Google Now or swiping into Hub app, etc.

Agreed. Someone on the CB forum speculated that maybe they had brought back BlackBerry 10 like gestures. If that's the case fantastic, but I'd highly doubt it. Looks cheap.

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. Someone on the CB forum speculated that maybe they had brought back BlackBerry 10 like gestures. If that's the case fantastic, but I'd highly doubt it. Looks cheap.

While BB10 owners my like to see more gestures.... I think if BlackBerry is looking to capture more of the Android market, they need to keep things simple and stick with what Android users know.

As the Vienna is just a few renders right now, doesn't that make it a "rumored device", and shouldn't it just be included with all the other Android rumored devices?

robk84

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I have never seen a forum created this quickly for a simple render, I think blackberry has off the record confirmed this device.

tufcustomer

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While BB10 owners my like to see more gestures.... I think if BlackBerry is looking to capture more of the Android market, they need to keep things simple and stick with what Android users know.

As the Vienna is just a few renders right now, doesn't that make it a "rumored device", and shouldn't it just be included with all the other Android rumored devices?

I agree, but maybe make it an optional feature that can be turned on and off?

There's something different about the "rumored" device in that both CB and AC were quick to make a sub forum for it. Leads me to believe there's something more to it than just rumors.

crazy mazy

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
If your not familiar with Blackberry, keep this in mind, they like to leak renders way before the device is announced, so that they can gauge customer reactions, and get feedback.. You will be seeing a lot more renders, and as you get closer and closer to official announcement the pictures look better.

lady of the lake

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The BlackBerry VIENNA went straight to its own sub-forum on CB right after the article was released which may be an indication this device will be available fairly soon. I'm speculating it will have a slightly lower price point than the BlackBerry PRIV. The BlackBerry VIENNA will probably appeal to more businesses as well as consumers looking for an android device with a physical keyboard and the security BlackBerry is known for.