Even with this phone, BB is effectively dead

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Blackberry is dead. Get used to it, get over it. As to the date where it was pronounced with a terminal illness, I think the diagnosis was the release date of BB10, with NO APP system, unlike iOS, and Android. Getting out of the phone business is a bad idea, but no one other than BB fanboys and some governments and corporations buys them anymore. More and more governmental entities are going iPhone. The Secret Service uses a Windows phone now, not a blackberry. Corporations are going iOS, or Android in droves. Let us contribute to BB's tombstone, and regrettably, move on. There are now only really Samsung, Apple, and LG as major players. HTC is going, Google phones are no longer affordable, Motorola has lost the magic, so it is really a Samsung/Apple world out there. And I really dislike both. I can't blame Chen, since I think he knew when he took over that RIM/Blackberry was terminal at the time he took control of the ship. I think he was just doing the best he could to keep the patient on life support.

Blackberry was too slow to react to the new market forces and desires, like the horse collar trade in the opening days of the automobile, or other companies/tech sectors which were just not innovative and forward looking. If perhaps, Blackberry had gotten on the app bandwagon, if Blackberry O/S 10 had support for more modern processors/chipsets then maybe it might have survived. I think that the abandonment of the classic 9900 form factor also hurt blackberry. The Z30 was a good idea, but crippled by the app ecosystem, and older hardware. The same goes for the Classic. Like it or not, sound Flowers of the Forest for Blackberry, and throw a clod of dirt on the grave as we slowly walk away from a once great company, which had a once great product.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, they'll still be branding phones, just not making them. They'll focus on software, but their partners will still make BB phones (at least as it stands right now).

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I still find it funny when people say "BlackBerry is dead" because they were saying that back in 2013 when I bought my Q5 and yet here they are still pushing out software updates and new phones. We got 2 new devices this year. And 3 the previous year. With more to come in 2017. :)

Loc22

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I guess it's just cool to do that that's why so many media around the world keep saying that. When a lie is told often enough it will become the truth. So I guess it's a matter of time before BlackBerry actually dies.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Blackberry has what? Maybe 1.2% of the market compared to Apple, Samsung, LG, etc? And now Chen is announcing that they are a SOFTWARE company, notice he did not say hardware, but software. The DTEK50 is a good phone, but is it too little, too late?

Loc22

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have downgraded and still frustrated coz of it's limitations. The customisation is limited. The look and feel of the UI is getting acceptable.

The ability to do things with ease and integration amongst the apps are still far from acceptable. I still need many apps to do things I used to be able to do with just one app. Guess I have to live with it.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Latest from Blackberry, this phone is DOA. I'll bring the Jamison's and Bushmill's to the wake, at least that way we have some good whiskey to sip.

red5gary

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
BlackBerry isn't dead at all. They're still coming out with phones, just other companies will make the hardware now. It already started with the Dtek50 and now the Dtek60, which on specs is an awesome phone. It pars with the Google Pixel and iPhone 7 phones. Blackberry has awesome software for companies for vehicles, healthcare, BES, BBM, and of course security. There bread n butter is there software which a lot of people are using.

Loc22

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
BlackBerry isn't dead at all. They're still coming out with phones, just other companies will make the hardware now. It already started with the Dtek50 and now the Dtek60, which on specs is an awesome phone. It pars with the Google Pixel and iPhone 7 phones. Blackberry has awesome software for companies for vehicles, healthcare, BES, BBM, and of course security. There bread n butter is there software which a lot of people are using.

Regardless whether BlackBerry produces their own phones or not it is dead until it is really dead. It is always cool to beat this brand. Yeah!!!

Everybody should do it one day don't let the media have all the fun.

aespix

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Lol, blackberry is not dead.

You don't have any idea how many crackberry people are there?

Get your facts straight before jumping on a brand with strong following and loyalty.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Blackberry has what? Maybe 1.2% of the market compared to Apple, Samsung, LG, etc? And now Chen is announcing that they are a SOFTWARE company, notice he did not say hardware, but software. The DTEK50 is a good phone, but is it too little, too late?

That's due to uneducated consumers who buy the same recycled apple product every year. Blackberry really had something with their Blackberry 10 operating system. Sadly nobody gave it a chance because everyone said similar things as you. "Blackberry is dead". " I'm not buying a blackberry". "They still make phones?".

Unfortunately I get the same questions when I pull out my blackberry priv, and people look at me like I have 3 eyes when I tell them it's an android phone.

Loc22

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
That's due to uneducated consumers who buy the same recycled apple product every year. Blackberry really had something with their Blackberry 10 operating system. Sadly nobody gave it a chance because everyone said similar things as you. "Blackberry is dead". " I'm not buying a blackberry". "They still make phones?".

Unfortunately I get the same questions when I pull out my blackberry priv, and people look at me like I have 3 eyes when I tell them it's an android phone.

It's just the name no Matter what they do they are already dead on arrival. There is no cheap way to change that preecption|.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I still find it funny when people say "BlackBerry is dead" because they were saying that back in 2013 when I bought my Q5 and yet here they are still pushing out software updates and new phones. We got 2 new devices this year. And 3 the previous year. With more to come in 2017. :)

I couldn't agree with you more.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

As other posters have said, there have been rumours of BlackBerry's "demise" for years now, and yet they're still around. I'd love to go back to BB in the future, and I may. The software is excellent and it has always given me a favourable experience.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
As other posters have said, there have been rumours of BlackBerry's "demise" for years now, and yet they're still around. I'd love to go back to BB in the future, and I may. The software is excellent and it has always given me a favourable experience.

People have also been saying, Nokia is dead. But, in 2017 we getting some more devices from them running Android. So things could potentially go well for them :)

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

ReluctantDroid

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
Blackberry as a mobile hardware company is dead, insofar as they have exited that line of business. Saying so is meaningless, because they have already made that decision and done it.

Blackberry as a mobile software company is growing nicely, and they have licensed their HW brand to a top 10 mobile hardware firm, TCL, to manufacture and distribute new BlackBerry phones.

If I had to guess, I'd say that these new BlackBerry phones will slowly gain traction and may someday become a profitable niche line of hardware aimed at Blackberry's traditional customers. Market share of 1-3% which would be 10-30 million units per year might be possible within 5 years. That's a modest, but reasonable goal.

Posted via Android Central App

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Blackberry has great software and the Keyone looks to be a great device IMO. I still like the PKB myself and with the specs on the Keyone and early reviews I will pick one up. I currently use an s7 edge and a 7 plus but prefer android.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I'll be getting a KeyOne. Delayed or not they'll still sell more KeyOnes than the Dtek series. Since they bought Good Technology they just made a come back in the Enterprise market with the best mobile phone management solution to date. So no, Blackberry will not be going anywhere soon.

BTW, I just bought the G6 and pre-ordered the S8+ so I'm not a BB fan boy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084