BlackBerry Mercury Specs (Speculation)

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So, we know the Mercury is coming (not sure what it'll end up being called), but what we still don't know are the specs. Let's speculate the specs! What do you think we'll find inside? Will the good folks at TCL treat us well or let us down on all the internals? Whatcha think?

BB-JAM215

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
We actually have a pretty good idea about a lot of the specs, at least for the current pre-production model:
• QWERTY physical keyboard with capacitive touch enabled scrolling and type by swiping.
• Qualcomm 8953 (Snapdragon 625) SoC
• Android 7.0 Nougat
• 4.5 or 4.6 inch, 1620 x 1080 (3:2), 420 ppi screen
• Spacebar fingerprint sensor
• 3GB RAM, 32GB internal storage
• 18MP auto-focus rear camera (optional manual mode), 8MP front camera
• 3400mAh Li-ion battery
• USB Type-C Port, 3.5 mm headphone jack, Bluetooth 4.2
• Combined SIM and Micro SD Card Tray
• Capacitive touch screen navigation buttons
• Customizable Convenience Key
• Assignable keyboard shortcuts
• Top mounted 3.5 mm headphone jack
• BlackBerry Software Suite (Launcher, Keyboard, Hub, Contacts, Calendar, Password Keeper, Notes, Tasks, Device Search, DTEK Security)
• BlackBerry Hardware Root of Trust, Hardened Linux Kernel, Secure Boot Process.
• Optional FIPS 140-2 Compliant Full Disk Encryption
• Ongoing Security Patching
• Aluminum frame, soft-touch textured back
• Size: Approximately 5.9 x 2.8 x 0.37 inches (150 x 71 x 9.4 mm), about the same width as the Classic, in between the height of the DTEK50 and the DETK60, and about the same thickness as the PRIV.
• February-March 2017 launch date
• Manufacturing, distributing, and sales by TCL

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I like the 3:2 display idea, but haven't used that on a phone to know if it's good for videos, etc. That battery size is HUGE for such a little 1080p phone, battery life has the potential to be awesome.

BB-JAM215

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I like the 3:2 display idea, but haven't used that on a phone to know if it's good for videos, etc. ...

By default you would have some space above and below a with standard 16:9 video on a 3:2 screen, but with a player like VLC you should be able to expand the video to full height and just lose a bit on the sides.

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I like the 3:2 display idea, but haven't used that on a phone to know if it's good for videos, etc. That battery size is HUGE for such a little 1080p phone, battery life has the potential to be awesome.

Well if the Z Play is any indication, it should be a monster. Even without the Incipio case it manages crazy SOT.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the SD 625 and 3GB of ram a bit underwhelming by current device standards? The DTEK 60 came out with SD 820 and 4GB of ram. I guess I was assuming it would at least have that as the starting point if not SD 821 or even SD 830. It's going to be going up against some pretty heavy hitters that are coming out soon.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the SD 625 and 3GB of ram a bit underwhelming by current device standards? The DTEK 60 came out with SD 820 and 4GB of ram. I guess I was assuming it would at least have that as the starting point if not SD 821 or even SD 830. It's going to be going up against some pretty heavy hitters that are coming out soon.
It's a midrange phone, not meant to compete with the big ones.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It's a midrange phone, not meant to compete with the big ones.

Agreed, if it came with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, but launched at $399 people would be like. #OnePlusCompetitor lol

I do agree that 64GB is awesome and does give a lot more breathing room to install apps, but ultimately pushes the price up. It does have a micro SD card so it should be. I'm not worried about the storage size. 32gb should be fine for most people who use keyboards. :)

Maybe wait for BlackBerry's next full touch device later this year. It just maybe, might, possibly, could potentially but not certainly have 64gb storage :)

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

Raybo7

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

It will be underwhelming if they price a midrange phone at premium costs. The flagship is Dtek60 and I think this one will just be effecient and last long. No more than 350 to 450 dollars if it has the 625.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
So it looks like we will be getting the Google Pixel Sensor in the new BlackBerry Mercury! How awesome would that be. What a lovely 12mp sensor. BlackBerry definitely pulling out all the stops with their camera!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So it looks like we will be getting the Google Pixel Sensor in the new BlackBerry Mercury! How awesome would that be. What a lovely 12mp sensor. BlackBerry definitely pulling out all the stops with their camera!

That'd be awesome

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
It will be underwhelming if they price a midrange phone at premium costs. The flagship is Dtek60 and I think this one will just be effecient and last long. No more than 350 to 450 dollars if it has the 625.

Attachments

• 1486266808000.jpg
    1486266808000.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 26

Travis Bakker

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I just read the article about not buying a 32GB phone with Nougat (Don't buy a 32GB Android phone in 2017 | Android Central)

If these specs are true that could become a problem. I would absolutely hate to let the PKB go, but I need a fully functioning fast running phone that will last me another year or two...

If the rumors are true and the device ships with an SD slot the 32GB storage becomes much less of a problem. I currently have a 32GB Nexus 6P running Nougat and have only used half of the available storage. I really don't think it's going to be a deal breaker for that many people. Have to wait and see when it comes out though, I am really excited to get my hands on one.

Jason Cockerham

Community Review Team Leader
Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
If the rumors are true and the device ships with an SD slot the 32GB storage becomes much less of a problem. I currently have a 32GB Nexus 6P running Nougat and have only used half of the available storage. I really don't think it's going to be a deal breaker for that many people. Have to wait and see when it comes out though, I am really excited to get my hands on one.

I agree. Truth be told, storage isn't really a problem for me anymore. I pretty much stream everything and tend to move my pictures to my computer about once a month so 32GB doesn't bother me too much. I'm more concerned about the SD 625. I'd be willing to pay a little more for a better processor. Especially if it's true that's it's going to have the Pixel camera sensor.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams