BlackBerry Mercury Specs (Speculation)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
OK so what are people mad about?

Who is mad? :p BlackBerry does have a tradition of significantly overpricing their Android devices - but what they have a tradition of doesn't really matter much because these are a new company, so precedent loses some weight. I think people want an unreasonably cheap phone and OEM's want to make money and that's going to create some obvious friction.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I fully understand. I think people are mad at the fact that the CPU is going to be a 625 or something around that. Who cares really. Most people don't even know what a CPU is.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
OK so what are people mad about?

This is how i see it. :)

When people hear the word 'Flagship' they presume it will have a 8xx series processor. So when they see 6xx then they start to get a little worried. If we get a 625 i really don't think performance will be an issue. The processor is new and is very capable. I would almost say it's on par with the 808. Just the graphics performance is slightly lower. As i always say, go play with the phone in store and the decide if it needs more performance. :D

As you said, most of the customers out there don't know what a processor is, let lone the difference between 6xx and 8xx. No worries on my side. I'm just counting down the lays till launch. So excited :D

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh I would agree that a flagship would be running the latest and greatest, but the 625 is no slouch and I could see an OEM choosing to use it intentionally after seeing the battery performance of the Z Play.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh I would agree that a flagship would be running the latest and greatest, but the 625 is no slouch and I could see an OEM choosing to use it intentionally after seeing the battery performance of the Z Play.
I read somewhere that a lot of people, business people, need a secure phone. BB is the choice for that and they want it for cheaper so that is my guess for the 625.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that a lot of people, business people, need a secure phone. BB is the choice for that and they want it for cheaper so that is my guess for the 625.

Yep that would make sense. Businesses like the fact that the user is prevented from doing most of the boneheaded things that users of other platforms can use. A Pixel is inherently more secure than a BB branded Android phone UNTIL the user unlocks the bootloader or starts installing apps from third party sources or, yada, yada. BB's software still protects the enterprise from the employee and the employee from themselves to a larger degree.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just give me a FAST phone that doesn't lag down over time, with decent battery life... and I be happy. :)

Let's be honest James - we give you a shiny gadget that you haven't played with yet, no matter what OS it is on, you're going to be happy :p Until someone hands you another new gadget, then that's the new shiny!

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Newest + Shiniest = Best. But sometimes... sometimes... there's that one phone that just stands out above the rest. Even above the new and shiny. Those devices are hard to come by :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Newest + Shiniest = Best. But sometimes... sometimes... there's that one phone that just stands out above the rest. Even above the new and shiny. Those devices are hard to come by :)

For me that's the Pixel XL atm, but this year is the return of BlackBerry under a new umbrella, the return of Nokia under a new umbrella and Samsung going a different direction with several key design choices... it's going to be a good year.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Not to be cynical, but I agree that a lot of the complainers are just mad that they can't brag about having the latest processor . . The BlackBerry keyboard phones have almost always been more about being a productivity workhorse with killer battery life, this will more than fit that bill.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
The one thing I'm very happy about is the battery size. Having a 3,505mAh is so awesome! Especially when we talking about a 4.5" inch screen and not 1440p. I'm expecting 7 hours SOT and blowing the competition out the water :D Waiting till April may a long wait, but i think it will be worth it. Also love that its launching with Android 7.1 and not 7.0 :)

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree. I have a z play and a v20 and the play holds its own in day to day. It opens apps just as fast and faster on some apps as the v20. If they have the software optimized as well as moto has I think the processor is a great choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz