I have a BlackBerry Priv, and you have questions. It's time to do the thing!

bungaboy

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
You do know this is an Android site? They probable don't have a clue what you are talking about in regards to the HUB and how it works on BB10 (well I'm sure Russell knows a little). I think you answer is best going to be answered over on CrackBerry for now.

But I think you need to keep in mind that plenty of Android users are able to be productive and organized... without any help from BlackBerry. They just do it differently.

Good to know. Never knew that. Thanks.

Josh Garrow

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I have some questions, I am buying it in December no matter what but I would like to know.

How does the front (selfie) camera face up against IPhone 6+, (if you could, can you post a picture of the comparison)
How loud is the speaker, would it be louder than my z30?
Would you say the screen is better than the IPhone 6s, or 6+?
How long did the phones battery last for you? (Would like a battery that at least lasts from 7am-1am)
Last question, does it come with Docs to go? (it's on every blackberry 10 device)

Posted via Android Central App

macolliejr

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Oh, and maybe a guess on when it'll be available from other carriers. I can use my jump on T-Mobile in four days, and am itching to get rid of my note edge, and the pain that came with it. But, I may be willing to suffer a bit longer for the priv.

Well said! I am in the same boat and counting the days until my upgrade is available on at&t.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
If anyone is concerned about the timeliness of updates, I suggest they listen very carefully to Jerry's related comments on the AC podcast.

Comments on battery pulls are a low-blow. They refer to BBOS which is an ancient OS that was being pushed well beyond its limits. BB10 is super stable, arguably more stable than Android.

I love what I see in the PRIV and plan to get one as soon as I get my hands on one!

bungaboy

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
You do know this is an Android site? They probable don't have a clue what you are talking about in regards to the HUB and how it works on BB10 (well I'm sure Russell knows a little). I think you answer is best going to be answered over on CrackBerry for now.

But I think you need to keep in mind that plenty of Android users are able to be productive and organized... without any help from BlackBerry. They just do it differently.

Seems there is a cast of many at the reddit Priv Mega Review that refute what you say.

bungaboy

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Many feel the same way over at CrackBerry, we've been waiting for an all touch flagship device.... since the Z10 launched. The Z50 has been our magical unicorn for three years now....

The problem is BlackBerry is no longer a manufacture, they are contracting out the manufacturing and even the inventory and channel control on future hardware (like the PRIV). There is just no way they can have someone manufacture these devices, and then for them to turn around and sell them to compete with the likes of Motorola, HTC or Samsung. Thus the keyboard is really their only "gimmick" that allow them to even try to justify making a device and pricing it they way the do.

HTC is in such great shape? Not what I've been reading.

Is BB the only one using outside manufacturers and distribution? Wasn't aware of that.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I got the device yesterday. Just got about 6 updates for the blackberry apps. Addressing some of my concerns. Better keyboard auto correct, sped up the camera hdr and improved low light photos. Seems like they are listening and are moving fast on updates

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
A couple of questions for you:

a) How is the hand feel of the phone? I have smaller hands, and my HTC M8 is about as big as I want to go, so with that in mind does it feel "big" after much use?

b) The signal issue: real or not? Low bars compared to other phones? Any observations yet?

c) Heat: I have read some complaints of overheating. I have never had my HTC M8 get hot on me other than once while using the car charger. But then again I don't watch videos, or play games on my phone. I use it for calls, texts, email, Android Central, and some web surfing.

d) Does it scream for a case to keep it safe? I break out into a sweat anytime my wife or daughters take their iPhones out of the otterboxes/UAG cases since they have fumble fingers. My wife zorched her iPhone 5 through a combination of drops (in the case), and baking it to death at the beach in Corpus Christi. Same for a tempered glass screen protector.

e) Wifi: does it work well on the 2.4/5 ghz bands?

f) Do you have to use Hangouts as your SMS/MMS client, or are there options?

g) Is it as easy as my HTC to set up email (Yahoo, Gmail, etc) since I use multiple services.

h) How is the screen in sunlight? As I get older (WAAAH!) I have some trouble with the screens in bright Texas sunlight.

i) How does the AC app work :) ?

Thank you for your reply to my question on bluetooth.

chrysaurora

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Just adding my impression of the physical keyboard to this thread, I posted this on CB first:

I played with Priv for about an hour at an AT&T store. Keyboard is much much better than Torch keyboard but not as great as Bold, Q10 keyboard. Meaning, Torch keyboard had very little key travel so it wasn't as satisfying to type on it as it was on Bold. Priv keyboard has more key travel but still not as much as Q10, Bold. I think it's fine now though.

It took me about 20 mins to get proficient with physical keyboard. After 20 mins or so, I was demo-ing to AT&T rep, how awesome it is to have a physical keyboard. I showed him how I could talk to him and continue typing (blind). When he looked at my message, he was amazed that I typed a whole sentence without looking at the keyboard, while conversing with him, and it only had 2 typos.

I am waiting for white variant (as shown-off by Ron in MWC). As soon as they release white variant, I am purchasing it. Well, if they don't release a white variant by new year, I am going to get this black one. But I am going to do my best to hold out until Jan first week for white variant though.

While it is frustrating to wait for white variant, the bright side is this: BlackBerry is likely to push out updates to Hub, BBM apps so by the time I get my device, Hub would already have gotten better! To push updates to Hub, Calendar, BBM, BlackBerry does not need to do full OS update, these apps get updated via Google Play app store. So, I am quite confident, we'd be seeing frequent updates to Hub etc. Atleast until Hub becomes close to native BB10 hub app (as close as it can made to be on Android).

9lives353

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
From the AC review:
One thing I got from my years as a Crackberryhead was that RIM was 100% consistent in their complete lack of ability to deliver timely and reliable software updates. It was so bad that a "battery pull" was a totally standard thing to do. Compare that to most any current Android phone. The majority of them, you can't do a battery pull if you wanted to. But, BB software was so bad that virtually every single BB user accepted that routine as perfectly normal.

"Battery Pull" is very much a legacy thing. Most of the BB10 phones have had sealed batteries. I had several BB10 phones and the software updates were pretty frequent and were actually feature-rich too, not just addressing security issues.

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Can the suite of Google Apps including Google services and playstore be disabled or uninstalled.

Why would you buy this phone if you want to disable the play store? This is the whole point of an "Android" phone made by Blackberry...

However you can disable the Google Apps but not play services.

ruhban

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
There's no point in asking any more questions. He's not answering them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463