Thoughts on a passport running android?

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
what are your thoughts on a passport running on android?

Think blackberry will do that if response to the priv is excellent?

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The priv is probably the only android phone I would buy at this time. Maybe a Nexus 6. but the priv is awesome. Like I said, the passport running android would be sweet too.

bh7171

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Try one on BlackBerry 10. It's excellent. 2 day battery life and phenomenal OS. If you have to have all things Google and Android then wait. There will likely be an Android variant in '16.

Posted via Android Central App

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
what are your thoughts on a passport running on android?

Think blackberry will do that if response to the priv is excellent?

Not sure if I would want it. The device wasn't built for Android, so we might be giving up things like a better battery life, just to get access to GPS?

At this point, the 4.3 android runtime, Amazon, Snap, and Cobalt GPS works for me. I'm sure over time, app developers will stop supporting 4.x, but don't see that happening anytime soon.

If Priv is a success, they might consider a Passport, but, I'm guessing it would be for the next generation of Passport. After all, they won't make any money going back to previous devices to offer an Android OS upgrade option....unless they charge for it.

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

Steve Adams

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I would want it. The device wasn't built for Android, so we might be giving up things like a better battery life, just to get access to GPS?

At this point, the 4.3 android runtime, Amazon, Snap, and Cobalt GPS works for me. I'm sure over time, app developers will stop supporting 4.x, but don't see that happening anytime soon.

If Priv is a success, they might consider a Passport, but, I'm guessing it would be for the next generation of Passport. After all, they won't make any money going back to previous devices to offer an Android OS upgrade option....unless they charge for it.

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

I'm sure blackberry being blackberry would take all that into consideration. I mean, design a passport device for android. I think it would be great.

Mark Sb

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I'd only consider a full touch screen device. I don't want any physical keyboards.

It probably the way all blackberry devices will eventually go.

The physical keyboard is one of the reasons people choose blackberry. Personally I can't stand virtual keyboards...I never use my tablet...ever. I guess this is because I can touch type...if you don't touch type then I guess you don't know what you are missing out on.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The physical keyboard is one of the reasons people choose blackberry. Personally I can't stand virtual keyboards...I never use my tablet...ever. I guess this is because I can touch type...if you don't touch type then I guess you don't know what you are missing out on.
I do touch type, but on a full size computer keyboard using all ten fingers, not just two thumbs.

I had a BlackBerry 9000 and 9700, but that was a long time ago. I don't miss thumb typing. Swiping on a touchscreen is faster and easier for me.

Mark Sb

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I do touch type, but on a full size computer keyboard using all ten fingers, not just two thumbs.

I had a BlackBerry 9000 and 9700, but that was a long time ago. I don't miss thumb typing. Swiping on a touchscreen is faster and easier for me.

Fair enough...but you can touch type with your thumbs. I can't post links yet but just google: blackberry-thumb-touch-typist-guide-typing-60-wpm-

j21jam6

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I think BlackBerry should make a Passport running Android. Makes no sense to upgrade current hardware to Android but I can see a Passport 2 that runs it. Keep your fingers crossed.

Posted one-handed via BlackBerry Passport

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
I think BlackBerry should make a Passport running Android. Makes no sense to upgrade current hardware to Android but I can see a Passport 2 that runs it. Keep your fingers crossed.

Posted one-handed via BlackBerry Passport

Yep, throw the PRIV's hardware into a Passport's body.....

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a BlackBerry Classic running Android. They're running about $300 unlocked right now, would have made a great budget phone.

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't mind a BlackBerry Classic running Android. They're running about $300 unlocked right now, would have made a great budget phone.

I guess if they stuck with the hardware (Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon S4 Plus) and could sell it for $300 (it's still $379 a lot of places) and make money... that probable would be a good price point. Just not sure what kinda performance you would get out of they Classic's hardware set.

I really think most would rather see an upgraded hardware set... but then you'd probable be looking at a $500+ phone from BlackBerry.