Question about notifications on BB

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Back in the days of BBOS, you used to be able to customize ringtone, text tone and email tone PER CONTACT. You could also make it override any silence options (notifications from certain contacts ALWAYS worked no matter what).

Does the Priv allow you to do that or is that a thing of the past since it is running Droid OS? Thanks in advance.

frisco49ers

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I have the same question, We were spoiled with the Blackberry OS.... Little things like this that you miss... Bedside mode, and the calculator app with tip and conversion....

jpoulin587

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You can have different ring tones for different contacts. Go into the contact you want to have a special ring tone. Enter edit modem. Top the menu button in the upper and there will be an option to change the ring tone.

Posted via the Android Central App

frisco49ers

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Yes i have that option, i am talking about a different sound for a text, BBM, email for each person, that overrides the universal sound for that notification.

On my Z30 i have a different sound for my son and a different sound for my girlfriend. Then the standard sound for everyone else so i knew when the message was from each one.

Whyareallthegoodnamestaken

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
It's something I've been missing from BlackBerry 10 as well. There's a hint of that sort of thing in the hub app settings. But nothing of the scale you'll be used to on bbos or BlackBerry 10.

But BlackBerry was very fast at adding and improving features on BlackBerry 10 so I expect we'll see this later along with deeper hub integration.

Trisk333

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Back in the days of BBOS, you used to be able to customize ringtone, text tone and email tone PER CONTACT. You could also make it override any silence options (notifications from certain contacts ALWAYS worked no matter what).

Does the Priv allow you to do that or is that a thing of the past since it is running Droid OS? Thanks in advance.

I can set individual contact notification tones on my galaxy s6 but it appears BlackBerry has not given us that control in their contacts on my Priv. Hopefully this is something they add later, perhaps with Marshmallow.

cellshock

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site

I was curious to know this too. I don't understand why today's "modern" smartphones won't allow you to assign a ringtone to specific EMAIL ADDRESSES (not SMS and phone ringtones as some here are suggesting) for your Contacts when it was a built-in standard feature on now decade old Blackberry's?

There was a jailbreak app called Mail Enhancer Pro for iOS where you could create rules to assign ringtones to specific email addresses. Alas, the developer only updated the app up to iOS7 and then retired from programming to pursue his law degree. I have yet to find something similar in Android.

I would pay good money for an app that did this, as I'm sure would other business-class folk, especially those in IT.

Trisk333

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I meant to update my reply after receiving the Priv. To set notification tones for contacts (SMS and MMS), I found that while in an open message with someone on the Priv, you can tap the 3 dots at the top right right to set a notification for said contact. I don't see an alternate way currently.

midnightdoom

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I meant to update my reply after receiving the Priv. To set notification tones for contacts (SMS and MMS), I found that while in an open message with someone on the Priv, you can tap the 3 dots at the top right right to set a notification for said contact. I don't see an alternate way currently.

It seems you can use this same process for phone ring tones with contacts when youre in menu to edit their info click the same 3 dots as when in a SMS convo to set ring ...

Can't see how to set individual BBM tones though

frisco49ers

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I like BB10 and not having to use apps... but, I guess this is the way we are going. Thanks for all the replies guys.