Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been lurking around for ages and am a fan of all the mobile nation communities in fact, just finally decided to make an account.

First, a little back drop on me. Right now I have a 2nd gen Moto X on Verizon but am currently off contract and have the itch to upgrade. I'm only 25, worked at a Verizon store for over a year and constantly keep up with mobile tech news, just never have anyone to talk to it about, that's where you guys come in. I don't necessarily have an allegiance to any OS/ecosystem but would only consider an iPhone if I was going to jailbreak it. Used to have a blackberry z10 when it first released and actually loved it's efficiency (minus the battery and lack of apps). Been on Android ever since (LG G2 before my X), and up until my recent 14 day trial with the Note 5, I preferred stock Android because I absolutely despise lag. The Note was amazing, admittedly, and this is coming from someone who used to hate Touchwiz with a passion. The only reason I returned it was because Verizon announced it would carry the Priv on my 14th day with the Note. Hopefully that comes to fruition sooner than later.

Next, a couple questions and impressions after I just got back from my local AT&T where I checked out the display Priv for about thirty minutes. Overall, I came away pretty impressed and it's definitely still in contention for my next DD. Best of all, no real perceived lag in my short demo with the OS, and believe me, I was looking. I'm most excited about the keyboard shortcuts and the efficiency offered by BB's software enhancements, even if they have to iron out some early adopter kinks. The Hub is obviously something I'm familiar with from my z10 days, and while it isn't yet up to scratch with BB10's version, it will get better.

My only two real concerns were with the pkb unfortunately. It wasn't as cramped as I have read, but I did notice some lag when typing fast or doing a Google search from the home screen. Is that something that can be fixed with a software update? And finally, when trying to swipe up on the pkb for suggestions, it wasn't registering reliably at all. Anyone have this issue on their personal device or could it have just been a one off display unit issue?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays to those celebrating.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind there has been some software updates to the hub and keyboard since release. I doubt they update the display model. I've been on one for about 5 days and love it. Typing keeps up with me. The other minority issues I have are able to be corrected with software updates.

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply man, in hindsight my post probably qualifies as tl;dr worthy. But that's a good point, I remember reading that on here but it slipped my mind. Tbf, I was so busy at the time, trying out all the features, that I forgot to check the GPS so see if they had been updated yet. And now that you mention it, I actually recall seeing a notification in the tray telling me that 50 something apps were ready to be updated.

I'm coming from a pretty vanilla version of Android so my primary concern is that BlackBerry's skin will bog things down, but that didn't seem to be the case. I guess I'm just searching for some reassurance in that regard. I haven't been very impressed with Qualcomm's offerings this year, referring to the 810 and 808, and if I don't get the Priv or Verizon takes too long to release it, I may opt for an 820 powered device (m10), or maybe even the S7 after coming away from the Note 5 experience surprisingly satisfied. I just have a soft spot for BlackBerry and can use all the help being productive that I can get lol.

I don't play any mobile games at all, yet alone any strenuous ones, so I guess optimization is what I'm looking for, and I know that takes time for new (to Android) OEMs. Any stutters or lag, if so, has it gotten better with the recent app/software updates?

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply man, in hindsight, my post was probably tl;dr worthy. That's a good point that I remember reading about on here, and now that you say something, I recall seeing in the notification tray that 50+ apps needed to an update, so that was probably the issue. Tbf, I was so overwhelmed at the time with enthusiasm and intrigue, trying out all of Blackberry's software enhancements, that it slipped my mind.

Being that I'm coming from a near vanilla version of Android, and hate lag especially, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that Blackberry's skin doesn't bog the SD 808 down too much. I'm not a mobile gamer by any means, but if Verizon takes too long to release the Priv, or if BlackBerry can't seem to optimize their version of Android well enough, I may be tempted to wait for an M10 with the 820, or even S7, after coming away from my Note 5 experience surprisingly satisfied.

Has anyone found the OS unbearably laggy or full of stutters? Have the app/software updates improved it drastically? I've also heard that the Samsung Gear S2 doesn't work with the Priv, is that because it's based on Tizen or is this common with other wearables. Wouldn't you guess, the S2 is the first wearable that's peaked my interest, so that'd be a small blow, but definitely not a deal breaker.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
After everything getting settled in I haven't really noticed any lag. I'm not a gamer, with the updated things are working smoother and I like what BlackBerry did with android. One of the reason's I left samsung.

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I haven't seen any lag and I to have been looking for one. I'm not a huge fan of Android but the BlackBerry flavor is good. Keyboard is awesome. The priv is tip top.

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Cool, appreciate the responses. I'm a fan of both operating systems, obviously for different reasons, and feel like the Priv combines some of the best things about BB10 with Android, so I'm sure it'll be my next device. I just hope Verizon hurries up and releases it before HTC releases the M10 (love Sense) or Samsung releases the S7 and I'm tempted away. I need to be more productive, not many devices outside of BB10 have offered me that yet, though Android has its perks as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta