Is the phone worth the money

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It depends on your finances. If you will miss a hundred dollars, you can buy a cheaper phone that's very nice. If you are less price sensitive, you might prefer this one.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes . It's a fantastic phone but be prepared for a steep learning curve if you are coming from BB 10

Posted via the Android Central App
I've been playing with Asus Zenphone for few days and I do not like it much. I just miss too many blackberry features which are superior the hub, popups, keyboard, overall cleanininess of the OS. I assume priv bring all these features to Android. Priv is the only androdid I could live with. In my case I need to buy the phone outright

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I've been playing with Asus Zenphone for few days and I do not like it much. I just miss too many blackberry features which are superior the hub, popups, keyboard, overall cleanininess of the OS. I assume priv bring all these features to Android. Priv is the only androdid I could live with. In my case I need to buy the phone outright

Regarding your comment; "overall cleanliness of the OS". The OS is Android Lollipop and BB cannot change that. The Hub isn't pure BBOS style, the BBOS Hub can do more then the Priv - Android Hub so far. The PKB besides being a PKB, has some sweet functions with it's scroll ability, short cuts, etc, so if it's been awhile since you've been on a BB PKB this is a game changer. Apparently BB did modify the active apps window and I love what I've seen. I hate the Android Rolodex style and BB has made it a card format which is similar to whats on a BBOS10.3. If you want a solid phone with a PKB, Android with a few BB touches that don't take away from Android, then yep, it's a great phone.

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
For me, no smartphone is worth $700 off-contract. And I refuse to go into debt or get locked into a contract for a phone - I think that's foolish.

There are a lot of excellent phones out there that have been out 1-2 years and only cost $200-$300.

I'm willing to wait until the price of the Priv comes down (assuming BlackBerry's handset business doesn't go under in a year or two). But even then, I'm still not convinced it's for me.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
For me, no smartphone is worth $700 off-contract. And I refuse to go into debt or get locked into a contract for a phone - I think that's foolish.

There are a lot of excellent phones out there that have been out 1-2 years and only cost $200-$300.

I'm willing to wait until the price of the Priv comes down (assuming BlackBerry's handset business doesn't go under in a year or two). But even then, I'm still not convinced it's for me.
I'm in the same financial situation, I pay for my phones with cash and wait until about half price. But my financial situation doesn't make me knock a phone. The Priv is getting back rounds of applause on many fronts. It is a flagship phone as with most BlackBerry phones. Me, I'm certain bbos is dead a BlackBerry future is with Android. I'm hoping after a year that BlackBerry bring its Android to Passport.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey. Question is the phone worth the money?

Here is another consideration about the price of the Priv. I get from many reviewers that Priv quality and hardware is up there with the few other slabs on the market. But consider this, the others are selling a simple slab. Priv has the added value of an expensive physical build which includes a slide mechanism and a one of a kind physical keyboard with haptic response and lighted keys at night! I think its a bargain in the flagship arena.

yohannrjm

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I'd say that a fairer price for this would be about $550-600. However, if you want a PKB there's not much choice. It's a good phone and you will not regret the money spent if you know exactly why you're buying it. In fact, if you don't care about the PKB, I'd suggest a 6P or another such phone.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd say that a fairer price for this would be about $550-600. However, if you want a PKB there's not much choice. It's a good phone and you will not regret the money spent if you know exactly why you're buying it. In fact, if you don't care about the PKB, I'd suggest a 6P or another such phone.
I really do not like how 6P looks

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Well the Samsung S6 EDGE is only 50 dollars less.

with SMALLER BATTERY
SMALLER SCREEN
NO SD CARD SLOT
NO keyboard
Not as secure
touch wiz bogs system.

is that worth 50 bucks? If not then all samsungs are overpriced is what you are saying? or just a brand snob. which is it?

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

with SMALLER BATTERY
SMALLER SCREEN
NO SD CARD SLOT
NO keyboard
Not as secure
touch wiz bogs system.

is that worth 50 bucks? If not then all samsungs are overpriced is what you are saying? or just a brand snob. which is it?
I agree a lot of phones are just $100 cheaper off contract here in Canada. Sony, LG etc are $799 and blackberry is $899. This is not huge difference for all extras blackberry is offering

freeyo

Q&A Team
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone is pricey but it is worth it in opinion. BlackBerry did a great job. It does take time to acclimate. I feel it comparable to other phones. As what was said if you are concerned about a hundred dollars or so, there are cheaper handsets.
Remember that there is a learning curve, coming from BlackBerry or seasoned Android users. I like the phone, myself.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

with SMALLER BATTERY
SMALLER SCREEN
NO SD CARD SLOT
NO keyboard
Not as secure
touch wiz bogs system.

Not a very solid argument for the Priv. Priv has battery issues of it's own that until they get ironed out (if ever) is actually worse than the EDGE in a lot of cases.
Not everyone likes a screen that big and the EDGE + has this covered anyway if thats your need. So either or in screen dept. Personal preference for sure.
With a 32GB on board storage at the base model this covers most users and only goes up from there.
No PKB, Priv's got it all over the EDGE on that one for sure.
Not as secure? Last I heard priv is running android. same/same. Even BB can't secure that 100%. Besides, what are you worried that google is going to find out? Where you shop? Where you eat? ..Meh
Debatable whether touch wiz bogs the system. No idea as I've never used it except for 5 minutes once. Since there are dozens of options. most better than TW, only the average joe user even uses it and only because they don't know they can get a much better launcher in the play store.
I like the Priv and hope BB succeeds as I was a BB user for years back in the day and loved their devices. It's not for me only for 2 reasons, the screen and phone is to big and the PKB is unnecessary for my usage as I do better with w VKB these days. Price is not an issue. I actually paid $1059 for a Nokia E90 many moons ago in order to be an early adopter. Guess I'm a phone geek. Now that was a sweet phone, but not worth that much obviously, but I digress.
I hope the Priv is successful along with Blackberry. I'd definitely consider an android/bb mash up in a slab type device with a 5" screen, my sweet spot.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Not a very solid argument for the Priv. Priv has battery issues of it's own that until they get ironed out (if ever) is actually worse than the EDGE in a lot of cases.
Not everyone likes a screen that big and the EDGE + has this covered anyway if thats your need. So either or in screen dept. Personal preference for sure.
With a 32GB on board storage at the base model this covers most users and only goes up from there.
No PKB, Priv's got it all over the EDGE on that one for sure.
Not as secure? Last I heard priv is running android. same/same. Even BB can't secure that 100%. Besides, what are you worried that google is going to find out? Where you shop? Where you eat? ..Meh
Debatable whether touch wiz bogs the system. No idea as I've never used it except for 5 minutes once. Since there are dozens of options. most better than TW, only the average joe user even uses it and only because they don't know they can get a much better launcher in the play store.
I like the Priv and hope BB succeeds as I was a BB user for years back in the day and loved their devices. It's not for me only for 2 reasons, the screen and phone is to big and the PKB is unnecessary for my usage as I do better with w VKB these days. Price is not an issue. I actually paid $1059 for a Nokia E90 many moons ago in order to be an early adopter. Guess I'm a phone geek. Now that was a sweet phone, but not worth that much obviously, but I digress.
I hope the Priv is successful along with Blackberry. I'd definitely consider an android/bb mash up in a slab type device with a 5" screen, my sweet spot.

Edge + is way more expensive then priv.

I was comparing edge vs priv cuz off contract its 50 dollars difference.

Battery issues are purely 5.1.1. Marshmellow will Def help. Im coming from an S5 and im a huge samsung fan. Just they disappointed me this gen and touch wiz is a big battery drain and laggy! I rooted mine and lost stability and im just feed up with samsung phones. Tvs they are the best still!

And security is more for identity theft. Now that ppl pay with their phone. Imagine someone walking by you with nfc on and hacking your accounts or taking your identity. Other then that stuff I dont care what google sees.

Heck my xbox one camera is always on. Giving microsooft many free xxx movies of me if they are watching

32gb is not enough! My dad has note 5 and is 80% full! And hes not tech guy and hardly uses the phone.

Those were my reasons from going from galaxy s5 and skipping out on the s6 edge. For 50 bucks extra the priv gave me so much that edge did not at that price point.

Would I have liked to stay with samsung? Yes. But the freedom of being away from touch wiz is addicting.

Last edited:

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If you are price senstiive, there are lots of decent options that are significantly cheaper. The Moto G series, or the One Plus X, or the Wileyfox, or some of the Xiaomi's, for instance.

nicky_willz

Banned
Oct 5, 2015
Visit site

I'm anti contract but I'd never spend almost a G on a fast depreciating asset like a wireless device.

bluetroll

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget to take into account the post purchase support.

It seems like BlackBerry will be pushing updates quite frequently.