Wireless chargers for the Priv

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
What chargers have people had success with on the Priv? I have a Tylt, and it's not working reliably. Blackberry says that's because it doesn't deliver enough power, and I should get a better charger. So, what are better chargers?

I really like the angle the Tylt holds the phone at (and an even steeper angle would be a little better) and would prefer that over one of the flat mat chargers. I like using it as my bedside clock.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
FWIW I just got a TYLT and mine works just fine. Would add whatever you do do not get one of those circle chargers. Have been using them and because the coils are in the bottom third of the Priv it will not work well, if at all.

hf199

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I disagree. I have tylt and as long as you use it overnight if works fine. I wouldn't use it for quick charging though.

Posted via the Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Bought a new charger, and the results are still flaky. I need to test it with another phone to make sure the charger isn't the problem, but I think I have a bad charging gadget in the Priv.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I tried the Priv with a CHOE 3 coil Qi charger stand (which works perfectly with my work Droid Turbo 2) and couldn't get reliable results, it would charge sometimes and not others, even though the charging indicator light on the stand indicated it was charging. The Priv seems to have the coil in an odd lower third position, but I thought the 3 coil design of the CHOE would compensate. So far the best/most reliable charging pad for the Priv I have is my old Nokia DT-900 charging plate that I got from AT&T for $5 :)

shabbs

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I picked up a wireless charger at IKEA yesterday... the NORDMÄRKE. They had them on display and I was able to test my PRIV on one before purchasing. They have a single size one and a long one with three charging zones for multiple devices.

Single: NORDMÄRKE Single pad for wireless charging - IKEA
Triple: NORDMÄRKE Triple pad for wireless charging - IKEA

Works fine with my PRIV. It's not super fast but it works and the charging zone is easy to find. Phone rests nicely.

IKEA has a few wireless charging solutions: Wireless charging

Here's a pic of my PRIV on the 3-banger.

CXfhQA1UwAAT0aX.jpg

Acvdm

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I got the stv100-4 and wireless charging socks.

*For those that don't know it doesn't exist on this device*

Posted via the Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Priv with a CHOE 3 coil Qi charger stand (which works perfectly with my work Droid Turbo 2) and couldn't get reliable results, it would charge sometimes and not others, even though the charging indicator light on the stand indicated it was charging. The Priv seems to have the coil in an odd lower third position, but I thought the 3 coil design of the CHOE would compensate. So far the best/most reliable charging pad for the Priv I have is my old Nokia DT-900 charging plate that I got from AT&T for $5 :)

I did the same, with the same result. Try putting a pencil, or other small shim, under the Priv, to raise it slightly. I am getting much better results now. The Priv coil is very low, and fussy about being in just the right place.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The CHOE has been working reliably since I put the pencil under the priv when I rest it on the stand. I played with the Tylt today, which I'd not been able to get to work reliably before. But I spent some time sliding the priv around to find the "sweet spot" and have propped up the Priv with two plastic forks (yes, I will get something nicer.) and it's been working nicely today.

For reference, I raised the bottom
1/4 inch for the CHOE (but didn't fiddle as carefully, there might be a better spot)
1/2 inch for the TYLT

Wireless charging is slow, but not crazy slow. This phone is much fussier about being aligned just right than my prior phone was.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I did the same, with the same result. Try putting a pencil, or other small shim, under the Priv, to raise it slightly. I am getting much better results now. The Priv coil is very low, and fussy about being in just the right place.

Great idea, thanks I will try that!

elcheapodeluxe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had good results with this unit, the 2-position Duracell Powermat:

Duracell Powermat2x PowerMat for 2 Devices (PMA compatible)

I got four of them when they were being sold for $8/ea and have them spread around my home and office. Good audio feedback and strong magnet pull locking into the correct charging position.

If you want that mat, you can get the same one with a wireless charging battery and an iPhone 4 case for $12 and then throw away the case.

Duracell Powermat 24-Hour Power System for iPhone 4/4s

Incidentally, I'd be very curious for a Qi vs Powermat comparison since the Priv supports both. I have had excellent results with this Powermat charger which is my only point of reference. Most of the questionable results I've heard anecdotally are with the Qi chargers.

reelon

May 24, 2011
Visit site
@elcheapodeluxe the phone that you have is it the att variant? I'm wondering if the att version supports pma, this solution seems the cheapest and get and extra battery.