was considering Priv, not so sure now, need advice

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Well, I WAS considering Priv until today's lacklustre hardware report. I usually keep my phones for 2+ years and am quite hesitant to spend significant cash on a phone that may / probably will be orphaned. I currently still have my Z30 but apps I like aren't working anymore. What attracted me to the Priv:
Quick security updates
BlackBerry VKB (don't need PKB)
Productivity Tab to quickly see new messages
Hub
Launcher into the hub
Security built-in to the chip (can't be rooted)
Expandable storage
HDMI out

Sooooo, I need advice. What hardware / apps are out there in Android Land that would give me what I'm looking for?
I have a bit of experience with Android as my son has the Nexus 6p, a very nice phone, but it can be rooted. Don't like Swiftkey (did I say I like the BlackBerry VKB?)

Posted via Android Central App

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, I WAS considering Priv until today's lacklustre hardware report. I usually keep my phones for 2+ years and am quite hesitant to spend significant cash on a phone that may / probably will be orphaned. I currently still have my Z30 but apps I like aren't working anymore. What attracted me to the Priv:
Quick security updates
Hub
Launcher into the hub
Expandable storage
HDMI out

Sooooo, I need advice. What hardware / apps are out there in Android Land that would give me what I'm looking for?
I have a bit of experience with Android as my son has the Nexus 6p, a very nice phone, but it can be rooted. Don't like Swiftkey (did I say I like the BlackBerry VKB?)

My last phone was z30. Now is priv. I like it a lot. It is good phone. I bought open box phone for $650CAN which I feel is a fair price for it. I do not think blackberry ever hoped for big sales with this device. I mean blackberry ran out of stock quickly when the phone became available for sale. I love blackberry virtual keyboard as well. The phone is way better than z30. In fact I do not think it is fair to compare both because they are in completely different league. If I had choice today to buy or not buy priv I would still get it but for $650can. I would have hard time paying for ANY phone more money. The phone will last you for two years.

Last edited:

shabbs

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
If you do go with a different device, you can load the BlackBerry VKB as well as a few of the other BlackBerry apps on it. Lots of folks have done this. I was looking closely at the LG V10 before I got the PRIV. Now you have the GS7 as well.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
If you do go with a different device, you can load the BlackBerry VKB as well as a few of the other BlackBerry apps on it. Lots of folks have done this. I was looking closely at the LG V10 before I got the PRIV. Now you have the GS7 as well.
Rooted phones are not safe. If you want blackberry stuff get Blackberry phone unless blackberry offer software to all on google play

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess I will ask - what makes you worried about rooted phones? If you keep your phone in your possession I guess it would be unlikely?? Can a phone be rooted if it is password protected? Can even a password protected phone just be hooked up via usb and be rooted?

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I guess I will ask - what makes you worried about rooted phones? If you keep your phone in your possession I guess it would be unlikely?? Can a phone be rooted if it is password protected? Can even a password protected phone just be hooked up via usb and be rooted?

Well, I am fairly naive when it comes to Android, but the way I understand it, some of the Android viruses and malware can gain root access and make changes, whereas with the Priv it cannot be rooted (so far) and thus safe from those viruses. Am I off base?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am fairly naive when it comes to Android, but the way I understand it, some of the Android viruses and malware can gain root access and make changes, whereas with the Priv it cannot be rooted (so far) and thus safe from those viruses. Am I off base?

You'd have to bypass security that's already in place and manually install a rooting app (not available on play store) that exploits the vulnerability for this to ever be an issue. Devices that are already using kernel 3.18 or have received the mid march security update are not vulnerable.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
It's obvious if your in the market for a phone today Galaxy s7 is the only choice.

It's too dam good

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

GeneralHerzog

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I'd still get the Priv. It's a solid device that is getting security updates even faster than Nexus units.

You can take yesterday's news as bad OR look deeper and take away that they still beat Wall Street expectations of $0.10 loss per share and only lost $0.03 per share.

The media wants BBRY to fail. It sells more and gets more page hits when BBRY suffers so don't believe what you read in mainstream media.

The phone is good. I love it. I'll be getting my son the Nexus 6P only because of its quick security updates and he's not as loyal to BBRY as I.

Yes the 6P can rooted but you seem like a safe surfer and at the end of the day, as long as you're not careless with your apps, then don't worry about rooting concerns.

You'll like either device. As a BBRY share holder, I say go Priv. Be different. Be unique.

Posted via Priv
STV100-3 on Rogers

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I'd still get the Priv. It's a solid device that is getting security updates even faster than Nexus units.

You can take yesterday's news as bad OR look deeper and take away that they still beat Wall Street expectations of $0.10 loss per share and only lost $0.03 per share.

The media wants BBRY to fail. It sells more and gets more page hits when BBRY suffers so don't believe what you read in mainstream media.

The phone is good. I love it. I'll be getting my son the Nexus 6P only because of its quick security updates and he's not as loyal to BBRY as I.

Yes the 6P can rooted but you seem like a safe surfer and at the end of the day, as long as you're not careless with your apps, then don't worry about rooting concerns.

You'll like either device. As a BBRY share holder, I say go Priv. Be different. Be unique.

Posted via Priv
STV100-3 on Rogers

Thanks for your reply. I see you're on Rogers as am I. Did you purchase on contract or did you buy unlocked? I hear security updates are quicker on Privs purchased unlocked or through shop BlackBerry.

My teenage son has the 6P and really likes it. He installed the latest Cyanogenmod on it and the battery life is awesome.

I am not as concerned about the earnings report as I am with Chen's statement that he may get out of handset sales by September. I don't see BlackBerry doing much to promote the phone.

A question for all: what security benefits do I get from a Priv that I won't get from other phones?

shabbs

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I see you're on Rogers as am I. Did you purchase on contract or did you buy unlocked? I hear security updates are quicker on Privs purchased unlocked or through shop BlackBerry.
I'm on Rogers too but got mine unlocked from ShopBB. The Rogers version up here does not have wireless charging. Updates for those from ShopBB are very quick. We've even got updates before Nexus devices... but considering BlackBerry only have 1 device... this should not be a surprise.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

Posted via Priv
STV100-3 on Rogers

6p can bend very ez even iPhone is stronger. Just tell your son to be carefull with it. Check you tube to see the fundamental engineering flaw of a plastic
joint inside

It is a Chinese company phone so it is to be expected.

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

Net_Surfer

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I had the BlackBerry Torch 9860, then the Z10 and now the PRIV! I have not regretted it because apps for BB are not happening and Android has tons of them. As for the phone, operation is better than expect and so it the battery! Great phone and I am sure there are tips and tricks I have yet to discover.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Rogers too but got mine unlocked from ShopBB. The Rogers version up here does not have wireless charging. Updates for those from ShopBB are very quick. We've even got updates before Nexus devices... but considering BlackBerry only have 1 device... this should not be a surprise.
Yeah but I got mine from Rogers for $650 open box !

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Quick security updates
Hub
Launcher into the hub
Expandable storage
HDMI out

Maybe the all touch BlackBerry device looking to land in a few months is your answer?

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Maybe the all touch BlackBerry device looking to land in a few months is your answer?

Possibly, although apps I use now are breaking, so I may buy a Priv when the price comes down and Marshmallow arrives. That being said, I see so many posts on CB about how various apps are needed for so many things and that you have to work at it to make them work together; I won't change to Android until I have some time to set it up. Makes me sad to see bb10 end as it flows so nicely. Stupid lack of apps...

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Possibly, although apps I use now are breaking, so I may buy a Priv when the price comes down and Marshmallow arrives. That being said, I see so many posts on CB about how various apps are needed for so many things and that you have to work at it to make them work together; I won't change to Android until I have some time to set it up. Makes me sad to see bb10 end as it flows so nicely. Stupid lack of apps...

Absolutely true that a lot was baked into BB10 that you will need to download in Google play. I'm really hoping that BlackBerry puts together a file Explorer app. I just don't find anything in Google Play that is as clean as BlackBerry's File Manager

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Grabbed a Priv today on T-Mobile. So far so good. It's been getting a bit warm, but mostly because I've been installing apps, etc. Looking forward to putting the phone through its paces.

On another note, has anyone had an issue creating more than one home screen? When I try to drag an app to create another screen it gives me an error saying the screen is full when it is not.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Grabbed a Priv today on T-Mobile. So far so good. It's been getting a bit warm, but mostly because I've been installing apps, etc. Looking forward to putting the phone through its paces.

On another note, has anyone had an issue creating more than one home screen? When I try to drag an app to create another screen it gives me an error saying the screen is full when it is not.

I have not run into that issue. You might want to reboot:

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae