Is the Blackberry Priv still a good purchase 6 months or so after release?

dannyyboyy

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm upgrading from a OnePlus One. I previously owned the Dell Venue Pro with WindowsPhone and LOVED the portrait slide out keyboard, and have been intrigued with the Priv since I first saw renders. Yes, I'm one of those people who still enjoy a physical keyboard. My question is do the specs still hold up on the Priv? I keep my phones for at least a year and a half..... How close to "flagship" is the Priv at this point? I should state, I managed to survive a year + with the first version of the Moto G because I was mid contract when my phone broke. Thanks guys.

SniperHyper

May 28, 2016
Visit site
The Blackberry Priv is still an awesome Phone.
It depends on what you want to do with the phone. When you're gaming a lot, perhaps the priv isn't the fastest phone. But for all the other thigs, browsing, texting, videos etc. it's great.
The keyboard is great. Can't handle those full touch only things ^^
The Priv is a good choice i think.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I love my priv, the new retail price is insane.....but I love it.

Whether it's future proof or not probably depends on your view of the early 2015 SD808 processor.

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry is working on fixing the update issue on the sub-$400 AT&T Privs. If that's fixed it'll be a bargain, especially with Marshmallow.

dew066

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
The Priv is not a flagship or a middle of the road phone, it is in between the two. I believe that the Priv is a better buy now than ever, the updates have made the phone excellent in my opinion.

Posted via Priv by BlackBerry

dannyyboyy

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm not a huge gamer. I text, I email, I browse the net. And I too HATE virtual keyboards. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a $400 ATT unlocked one. Hopefully they get marshmallow to it soon. I think in the meantime I'll be fine with it though.

PhilR8

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm not a huge gamer. I text, I email, I browse the net. And I too HATE virtual keyboards. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a $400 ATT unlocked one. Hopefully they get marshmallow to it soon. I think in the meantime I'll be fine with it though.

I think you're the perfect audience for this phone - someone who doesn't game much and hates using on-screen keyboards. I think the Priv is an excellent choice for someone who shares those two traits. (And at $400 I think the phone is a steal, update issues or not).

I would hesitate to recommend the phone to someone who doesn't share those two specific traits, but I'm also a person who doesn't game much and also hates using on-screen keyboards and I am very, very satisfied with the Priv.

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
It is good buy for blackberry and physical keyboard fans. Priv software has matured sinced it was released. I think this phone will last for many years.

christenmartin

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I bought my second one a couple of weeks ago. Sat on my last one. I think the phone has improved a lot. I had a early build and it wasn't as solid as my new one. The battery life on my first one was very good but the phone didn't seem as stable as the second. Awesome phone, about the only phone I actually want. Obviously I bought 2! :)

Posted via the Android Central App

D

Deleted member 2678566

I love my PRIV. Since Marshamallow became available it really feels like a flagship. Battery is soooooo good. Definitely on a par with the EDGE!

If I was on Lollipop I wouldn't be saying this.

D

Deleted member 2678566

Ironically the Priv's VKB is better than the slide out keyboard.

The pkb isn't on the same level as the Passport keyboard. God I loved that phone. Shame BB10 is dead though.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
ugh wish sprint would've gotten the priv.. i currently have a note 5 which i love but i ABSOLUTELY hate on screen typing. i miss slide out keyboards and physical keyboards. i went from the ppc6700, that whole line up to the diamond pro, palm centro, palm pre, every blackberry from the curve to the q10.

BBUniq01

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I have the Priv from ShopBlackberry and runs MM. I am in love with this phone. Previous device was a Classic which I will never give up. I use the PKB a lot on the Priv for long texts and emails. The Hub and all of the shortcuts on the Priv sets it apart for me. We also own an LGG3 and S5. I am confident this phone will be my daily driver for a couple more years. No lag, great battery life and good build.

Posted via Priv

dannyyboyy

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I bought one.... liked a lot about it, but am going to return it. The heat issue on this is absolutely crazy. I gave it a week of use, and from simple web browsing, the phone gets uncomfortably hot. I'm actually sad, as I had just started to get used to the keyboard shortcuts, and really like a lot about the Blackberry launcher, especially the productivity hub. But the heat issue is just too much. I've had many android phones, dating back to the G1, and never had a phone get this hot, or get hot this easily. Back to my OnePlus One for now. Not sure what is going to be my next at this point. My OnePlus has some serious battery issues (we're talking just barely over half a day with moderate usage), but I'm almost always near a charger, so I can deal with it for a little bit longer. I may go for the OnePlus 3, or I may just see if I can wait for the next round of Nexus devices. Still holding out hope that BB releases a phone like the PassPort with android on it, but sadly I don't see that coming.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I bought one.... liked a lot about it, but am going to return it. The heat issue on this is absolutely crazy. I gave it a week of use, and from simple web browsing, the phone gets uncomfortably hot. I'm actually sad, as I had just started to get used to the keyboard shortcuts, and really like a lot about the Blackberry launcher, especially the productivity hub. But the heat issue is just too much. I've had many android phones, dating back to the G1, and never had a phone get this hot, or get hot this easily. Back to my OnePlus One for now. Not sure what is going to be my next at this point. My OnePlus has some serious battery issues (we're talking just barely over half a day with moderate usage), but I'm almost always near a charger, so I can deal with it for a little bit longer. I may go for the OnePlus 3, or I may just see if I can wait for the next round of Nexus devices. Still holding out hope that BB releases a phone like the PassPort with android on it, but sadly I don't see that coming.

I'm with you on the heating issues, it's a pain. I too upgraded from the OnePlus One, gosh I love that phone. I'm on a payment plan with AT&T, so I have to stick it out, but the OnePlus 3 looks like an amazing phone. I think I would love the Moto Z when it comes out as well, but I hope an update tames this overheating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36